Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Inside The TiB Studio: What Is Your Favorite Word?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rob4Broncos, May 23, 2011.

1. hooker

hooker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The word moist makes my skin crawl. I see and hear it a lot in advertisements lately, and it totally creeps me out. My friends also say it a lot when we're drinking, because they know I hate it and apparently they like to push me to use physical violence.

My favourite word is serendipity. Mostly because I'm kind of a romantic about words and their meaning - and serendipity is a fun one.

2. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Favorite: Contrariwise. It's from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, and is not a real word, but it's perfectly cromulent, and sounds really formal, so you can use it without anyone questioning it. I used it in every major law school writing assignment, and not one professor ever commented.

Least favorite: Leverage. People suck at using this word these days, especially marketing consultant types. Using something in its ordinary way to its full potential is not leverage. It's just using it. Leverage requires doing the same work but getting multiples of the regular return.

I hate viral for the same reason, people suck at using it. If the first place you saw a video was on the nightly news, and they found it through a press release, it's not viral, it's disseminated.

"Sufficient" should only be used in analytical philosophy context, as a contrast to "necessary."

3. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Favorite word: Tie between Lookatmytitties and Freebeer

Least favorite: irregardless. Originally, it was used incorrectly in place of irrespective and simply was not a word at all. But, now, it's been used so much that I think it has gained traction towards actually being a word. I hate that.

4. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can't think of a single favourite word, but I absolutely despise the word cuppa. I don't know who or why thought it was a good idea but I immediately lose respect for anyone who uses it, especially when they use it as a noun unto itself.

5. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

Favorites: derivitive, activate, prone, monkey (used as a noun or verb). I just like the way they sound and their meanings.

I abhor: moist, belly, chastity.

6. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Favorite: Feral. It's not a word that comes up all that often, but I like the way it sounds.

Least favorite: Whilst. Unless you happen to be a Brit or an Aussie, just say while.

7. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    Among my favorite words are fuck and cunt. They're simple, versatile, and get peoples' attention.

I hate words that are two words combined to make one retarded meaning, like ginormous or chillaxin'. If I hear anyone say one of these words, I will automatically assume they are too stupid to be talking to me.

8. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I can't be the only one who is busy about repping everyone their most hated words.

9. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I like pejorative, inimitable, nadir, insouciance, and saying fecund is great because it sounds like poop, but actually means fertile. Come to think of it fertile isn't bad either. When you tell a girl her beauty is interminable, endless, if she's savvy, it will work really well. My vocabulary exists mainly to flatter dames and confuse drunken attackers.

The worst word isn't even a word, it's a phrase: belly button. Fuck I hate that. Like nails on a chalkboard. It's a fucking navel.

10. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Taylor Mali would agree with you.

#30 Rob4Broncos, May 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  11. taste_my_rainbow

taste_my_rainbow
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ginormous doesn't bother me really but chillax makes me want to hurt someone. I hate both hilarity and ensued, even more so when they're used together. Brochure is a silly word that's never sounded right to me.

My favorites: indicative, abscond, squish, moist (why do so many people not like this one?), & throb.

12. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Least favorite: I also dislike these combination words. The one that bothers me most, though, is "guesstimate." The reason is that it takes two words that mean the same thing and combines them into a third word that also means the same thing.

"It's half-guess, half-esimate." No, you nincompoop (a solid word). Guess and estimate are synonyms. I just looked up the definition of guess, and it told me "an estimate or conjecture." Your attempt to sound intelligent and witty has completely backfired. This word is like a red flag for people I don't need to bother having further conversation with.

Also, literally. I get angry just thinking about this word. It's a fine and useful word, sure. I use it regularly. The problem is that it is so often misused. The difference is that I use it when I mean what it actually means. Other people seem to think it is synonymous with "very," "dramatically," or "extremely."

"When I saw my grade, my head literally exploded." Really? The doctors must have done a remarkable job with reconstructive surgery.
    "She's literally the stupidest person ever." Sure, that's possible I suppose...but it seems overwhelmingly unlikely.

Favorite: Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia (fear of long words) and grandiloquent (language or speech that is overly flowery or wordy). For what I hope are self-evident reasons.

13. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

M favorite is penultimate. I got to use it a lot more when we lived in NH. When I gave people directions to our house, I would say, "It's the penultimate house on the left."

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

My favourite is probably phantasmagoria.

My least favorite nowadays (it is ever-changing) is bro. When I use it on here, it is purely out of sarcasm.

15. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've always been fond of the word illustrate. I don't know why. I think it's just because it flows so well, and just always seems like a great word to use in presentations/speeches instead of "shows", "displays", or whatever.

Other favorites

Obfuscate - basically a fancier way of saying obscure or to make obscure

Eschew - Probably a nerdy hanger on from my D&D days (Escew Materials, for the none of you that care). Like obfuscate and illustrate, just fun to say.

Floccinaucinihilipilification - Longest nontechnical word in the English language. Deserves more credit than it gets. Thank you, QI.

I can't really think of one particular word I dislike. Maybe thus. Seems like people try to use far more than they should. And irony, largely because most people that use it aren't using it properly.

I know it's really a phrase, but hooking up is something I've never really had any fondness for. I don't know it's just so............Dane Cook, if that makes any sense. Whatever happened to fooling around? Much better phrase for describing wanton, indescribable, naughty sexual acts.

16. Dead Parrot

Dead Parrot
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

What's with the hatred of moist? I find it funny that a bunch of self-confessed pussy lovers can hate that word so much.

My least favorite word is deserve. I feel the world would be a better place if people deleted it from their vocabularies.

My favorite word has to be absurd. Its just so fun to say.

17. shauncorleone

shauncorleone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

My favorite word is a fake expression I fabricated a few years ago: Douché. When somebody makes a point but is still a jackass, this word gives you the ability to let them know they have a point but are a major douchebag to be making it.

My least favorite word lately is "allowed". You're not allowed to say that. She isn't allowed to dress like that. Generally the people who are adamant about what you're allowed to do can never seem to explain why.

18. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How did none of you chose this one? My all time favorite word and this video explains it all.

Least favorite word: Groovy. I just hate they way it sounds, and the hippie douche bags that usually spew it.

#38 E. Tuffmen, May 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  19. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Favorite: Fuck. The word is like the Swiss Army knife of the English language. I can't think of any word out there that can succinctly describe shit as well as "fuck" does. Fuck yes.

Least favorite: Work. I'm lazy and I always will be. Work has always had a negative connotation for me. In a perfect world, I'd win the lottery and sit around my house doing nothing.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Word fail.

I guess you could also lump in the broad category of "wrong word" to words I hate, but due to their context, or lack thereof. "I don't think that word means what you think it means" kind of things.

Chose, choose.
    They're, their, there.
    Advise, advice.