Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Inside the TiB Studio: Aural Fixation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrFrylock, May 24, 2011.

1. caseykasem

caseykasem
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

love: My grandfather's laugh. He had the funniest laugh and would often laugh until he cried. His laugh was very similar to that of the man who plays Mr. Hurley in Big Daddy.

hate: snoring. I have a neighbor that snores so loud that I can hear him through the apartment walls. There is nothing I hate more than that noise.

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

If you'Ve heard a loon's call up here before you'd know why it's my favourite sound.

Sticking with wildlife, the most irritating sound on the planet is that shrieking, Buzzing million-decibel hellsound that cicadas make, a gross thumb-sized insect that hides in trees and make jackhammers sound like the strumming of a lute by comparison.

3. jordan_paul

jordan_paul
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

My favorite sound is the whistle made when a turbo on a Cummins or Duramax is spooling up or the sound an old lever action rifle makes when you eject a shell.

The sound of people eating drives me nuts. I seriously have to walk into a movie theater 10 minutes into a movie when people slow down on eating and start watching the movie.

4. Omegaham

Omegaham
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Love: When you hit a steel target with a rifle round, that TING sound.
    Rain. The heavier, the better. Especially on heavy tree cover or a metal roof.
    When you turn off a high-powered radio and it goes BEEeeew as the power light fades.
    (very specific) When I'm doing a performance check on a radio - I slowly increase the frequency on the signal generator to see when the filter cuts it off. For some reason, that distorts the audio and makes it climb slowly in a very faint glissando. It's beautiful.
    The female voice. I don't know how you women do it, but I just like hearing it. Not in a sexual way, either. It's just nice. (standing by for the red dots on that one)
    My cat jumping off the bed and making the "mmpph" sound when he lands. Makes me smile.
    A good bass line.

Hate: Snoring. FUCK that noise.
    Obnoxious cell phone ringtones. My roommate has the 20th Century Fox intro as his ringtone. I have come THIS close to smashing it with my forehead.
    My CWO4 saying "Oorah." It's more like an "Errah." I don't know why, but I can't stand it.
    Bad guitar playing. Hell, any bad instrument playing. Violin is probably the worst, but luckily I've only had to hear that once.
    The pitched battle going on as the guy next to me plays World of Warcraft. CLANG CLANG CLANG TING WOOSH CLANG AAAHHHH
    The douchetastic guy at the GNC with the ridiculously nasally voice. Why are you even talking to me?
    (more red dots) Country music. Sorry, I simply cannot sound the twangy sound of the guitars and the Southern accent that the singers have. That's the way it is.

5. shauncorleone

shauncorleone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Love: the crack of a wooden baseball bat on a sharply hit ball, and the sound a fastball makes when it hits the catcher's mitt so squarely you just know it stung a little bit.
    Hate:metal baseball bats
    this. My fucking dog has a particularly slurpy technique to licking himself that can almost drown out my surround sound.
    Also, the shrill pitch of a pissed of black woman. We all know it's very unique.

6. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Love: I love the sound of my shotgun when I rack the slide and chamber a round. I love the sound of quiet sleep breathing. Its super relaxing. I also love the sound when you put raw meat on a screaming hot grill.

Hate: I hate the sound of my work phone going off. It usually only leads to headaches and frustration. Yappy dogs. The way deaf people sound when trying to talk. Oh, and nickelback. Fuck them.

7. Omegaham

Omegaham
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Going with the opposite: When you open up an over-under and the ejector makes the "pumm" sound as it flings the shells out.

8. hoju

hoju
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I don't know if I like that sound, but wanted to quote it for the awesomeness that it is. Had the quote come from a dude, it might sound a little creepy.

Focus
    Hate: Agree wholeheartedly with the hatred of the sound of people eating. Also, chewing gum, mouth open. Fuck those inconsiderate bastards.
    I can't stand the sound of flour rubbed on a surface, if that makes any sense. I can take nails on a chalkboard any day, but rubbing flour, open hand, makes me cringe. It might be more of a texture thing than a sound, but fuck it anyway.
    Finally, Rachel Nichols voice. I can't stand her robotic bullshit. I'm convinced that she knows nothing of what she's saying and her voice makes me want to kill puppies.

Love: The sound of hitting a fastball right on the spot. Same goes for hitting a 7 iron. This little girl singing the National Anthem at Hurricanes games always puts a smile on my face.

9. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Jesus, I listen to sounds as a (soon to be) full time job, and I can't for the life of me come up with my top/least favorite sounds. There's so many of them. So I suppose:

Like: Guitar feedback comes to mind.

Hate: Things that sound like ass, for example, the shit that comes out of those tiny speakers next to giant sheets of metal at amusement parks. I just love waiting in line while hearing every 20 seconds HSAJHDKSWDNSIJWKEJKOSDNSKIOKEEPYOURFEETINSKJJSMKOALS.

10. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Love: Any sound of rain and thunder, especially with the smell that comes with it, and especially when you're in a tent or something with a thin roof.

Also any well-made piece of machinery locking in to position, be it the bolt on a rifle being pulled back, or shifting into gear. This goes with feel though, much like rain partially went with smell

Hate: Cicadas. Goddammit Cicadas.

11. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Love: If somebody already said train, I missed it. I love the sound of a distant whistle, followed by the wahrumble of the train coming by. I live on the river; just across the river is a railroad track; a freight comes by about 12-15 times a day, all day, every day except Sunday. Love it. I also love the sound of a gently ticking clock in an otherwise silent room.

Hate: Crackle static, like on radios or phones, Fran Drescher's laugh, and cheering Mets fans.

12. Slambrarian

Slambrarian
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Love: The sound of my boys laughing, especially the youngest, he laughs like a dolphin, it's cute; a hard rain; the sound of the train that comes through my town twice a day (not sure why I love it, I just do)

Hate: My GF's voice mail alarm on her cell phone, it's the longest, most annoying, techno-y song ever & we both keep forgetting to change it; my co-worker's voice - seriously it's the most nasal and annoying voice I have ever heard; I HATE the sound of a can or bottle opening then the pouring of that beverage into a glass, specifically on commercials - radio or TV.

13. sharald27

sharald27
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

FOCUS 1:What sound or noise do you love?
    -Moaning during sex
    -My nephew laughing and going "weeee"
    -A vacuum sealed bottle of some sort popping when you open it
    -Thunderstorms with lightening-puts me right to sleep
    -New text ringtone
    -when chewing gum: making that pop noise

FOCUS 2:What sound or noise do you hate?
    -gagging
    -balls slapping against my ass cheeks
    -thigh slapping against each other
    -hearing food being chewed up
    -As a child I hated hearing this:

especially if you weren't sure how loud the TV was or how loud the movie would so you blast that shit up and forget how loud the ending of the THX clip was. Always thought I'd wake up my parents and get my ass beat for having the TV so loud.

#33 sharald27, May 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015