Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Insanity and P90X Workouts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dr. Rob, Apr 21, 2011.

1. PIMPTRESS

PIMPTRESS
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Regarding the good shoes for running and preventing shin splints, I just bought a pair of Adidas Adizeros. They are amazingly light and absorb impact very well. My old running shoes were beat to hell and making running more painful than it needed to be. These new shoes seem to have helped with my form as well.

2. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Right, they're not the same activity. Same mass moving the same distance, but under different means. You could also bike the same distance, and that's obviously going to burn less.

Then there's the question of whether increasing your speed while running (as opposed to going from walking to running) increases calories burned per mile, and my thinking is yes.

If it took the same amount of energy to move 160lbs 10 miles in 1 hour as it would take to move it 10 miles in 1 minute then I'd really like to know why my car guzzles gas at 90 mph and we don't have commercial jets flying at 1000 mph.

3. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's very interesting. It goes against everything I've been taught. The "mile is a mile" mantra has been around for quite a while and is a pretty widely held belief in the exercise world.

It does make sense when you factor O2 uptake into the equation.

E=MC2

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

You're probably thinking more along the lines of 400 pounds. 250 is pretty achievable for most guys over 170 lbs with a regular workout schedule, and you don't need to put any poisonous bullshit into your veins.

5. shauncorleone

shauncorleone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Not to mention, so many people spin their wheels by doing the exact same workout (Chest/Tris Mon, Back/Bis Weds, Shoulders/Legs Fri sound familiar?) without recording a damn thing, and they never progress. They don't switch up their exercises and they don't track progress, so they don't get stronger or burn fat, they just kinda maintain. I much prefer to strength train on a plan where I can track my progress.

As for the walk/run thing, I was never aware it was believed to burn the same calories. If that were the case, then running twenty 100-yard sprints would burn the same calories as walking 1.13 miles, which makes absolutely no sense. I've been taught that walking is decent cardio on an empty stomach, while jogging or sprinting isn't as good an activity for fat burning while fasted. In any case, you won't catch me jogging anywhere except to catch the bus.

6. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thanks for the info on shin splits. The problem is they kick in 5-10 minutes after running. Two different pairs of shoes. They kick in later after getting shoes with more heel in then ala Nike Shox, but still hurts. I probably should see a podiatrist.

My last post got read completely wrong, Maltob/Frank got it and responded right. I do not think its stupid, bad, or anything negative. I just see something that takes that much effort and work to then be put into another practical purpose. To me I see it like getting a 500hp in a car, then never driving above 30 mph. If it feels great, and a personal accomplishment, cool.

In terms of the guitar analogy, I'm not saying "Screw weight lifting (learning songs) do P90X (learning some chords)" I'm wondering why someone would put in a lot of effort practicing guitar music (weightlifting over a certain weight, which ever is over the average or "healthy"* limit) if you're never going to play anything in front of anyone ever (i.e. playing a sport, needing to actually lift ridiculously heavy things)."

Like there is a point with any workout/weightlifting where its like "okay, you're healthy (attractive, etc)" I don't those who keep going past that point with no application.

That's what I was getting it, I was just saying I don't personally comprehend it, not to be shitting on what anyone does. Its an intrinsic enjoyment, understood. But most hobbies are shown off eventually.

Back on Focus: interms of shoes for doing things like P90X/Intensity cardio, do "Cross trainers" really make a difference or will I (or anyone else) be okay in basketball shoes and running shoes?