Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Inception *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Diablo, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Durej

Durej
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Yes I was so stoked to see him in this movie. He didn't make it in any of the trailers but I was stoked to see him in it. The weird part was I just got layer cake on DVD from netflix and again I didn't know he was in it until I read this post.

2. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I talked to that same guy today, (who is apparently a lot more knowledgeable than me about movies and actors), and he told me that Nolan wrote "Inception" after watching the anime film Paprika, and supposedly mentioned as much in an interview.

The plots are very similar, so if you liked the premise for Inception, Paprika might be worth checking out. (Haven't watched it myself yet, but it's very highly rated on IMDB, RottenTomatoes, etc.)

3. Simapai

Simapai
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

A very good action movie. If anyone tells you that the plot is complicated is lying. It is very straightforward movie. This movie has already been discussed in-depth but I’d like to share a review of Inception from a “friend” on Facebook:

"This move made me question whether or not Christopher Nolan's ever had a real dream in his life...unless all his dreams were dreamt up for him by Michael Bay and Arnold Schwarzenegger. Also, it made me wonder whether Nolan really knew what ...subconsciousness is. He makes almost no distinction between dream and reality/consciousness and the subconsciousness. Where are the surreal, the irrationality, the absurd, the bizarre, the grotesque, the indeterminate? All the elements that made up the dream world and the subconsiousness were missing. There was no imagination, no emotions, and no character developments, and no SOUL. His characters were EMPTY SHELLS who have 0 libidos even in their "deepest" subconscious levels. The structure of this film and the way it's handled mirrors the psychs of the characters (and of Mr Nolan's himself) : Tight, mechanical, clumsy, clunky and dry...too thought out and too forced.

This movie reminds me of writers who use big words and obscure langauge to cover up the emptiness of the actual content. Everyone is fooled by the pretentiously complexity of the storyline. But it really is just a pseudo-intellectual shoot’em up masqueraded as layman's "art". I don't understand how this movie "made you think" or "blew your mind', but if it did, then you need to start asking some very fundamental questions about the world and your place in it. I thought at least the action scenes or the cinematography would be decent...but Nolan had no sense of space and rhythm. All his cuts were off-beat and all his shots were poorly framed. Overall, the movie felt like a tangled up mess that got shoved down my throat by force, and i had no choice but to shit it out and never think about it again. Finally... IT WAS WORSE THAN THE DARK KNIGHT!"

4. Dmix3

Dmix3
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't even care to read the rest of the pages listening to this idiot. I love how you can listen to the children on the phone and determine their exact age, yet your hearing sucks so bad that you can't even determine that the old man at the beginning was Ken Watanabe by his voice and thought that Cobb was talking to himself.

5. Benzilla

Benzilla
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

It's also possible that he hasn't been on the run for very long. A year or so doesn't make that much difference.

6. MuddyPeej

MuddyPeej
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

A quick, typing on a cell phone comment.
    Yeah man, Tom Hardy is an amazing actor. I had recently watched Bronson before seeing Inception, couldn't believe it was the same guy. He plays an almost crazy guy. And does it disturbingly amazing. It's on netflix instant cue. Everybody should watch it.

7. Spoz

Spoz
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Ok, I'm not going to bother addressing anything previously posted in this thread, but here's my two cents. I will say that I quite enjoyed the movie but it didn't come close to living up to the hype.

I'd rate this movie somewhere between seven and eight out of ten. They could have made it a nine-plus in my mind had they done two things:

- Cut out all the expositional scenes
    - Alter the timeline, showing the first bit as normal, then picking it up at the ice level and working backwards, then ending up in limbo.

That would be a movie that becomes more enjoyable with each viewing. Instead I felt like I had seen a pretty good movie that had been dumbed down to the point that I don't particularly feel like I'd gain anything by watching it again.

8. Sam N

Sam N
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Paprika is a pretty damn good film, and I would definitely put it above Inception. Watch it dude, I guarantee you'll love it. Though I read somewhere that Nolan began writing Inception in 2001, so that doesn't really make sense with Paprika.

As for Inception, I'm inclined to side with Simapai's facebook "friend". During the post film banter I said to my friend, "You know, he was probably awake and all at the end, so that's good, but even if he wasn't, I really don't care too much. There's nothing emotionally at stake for me either way."

The good - The action, the way they actually implant the idea into Fischer's mind and all that entails, British guy, and I kinda liked Jason Gordon-Levitt

The bad - The laughable Leo tortured backstory, especially the character of Mal, the normal as fuck dreamworld

79/100

(Didn't mean to actually discuss the movie or anything, just wanted to comment on KIMaster's post and figured might as well post my opinion while I'm at it)

9. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

10. MisterMiracle

MisterMiracle
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

For some reason, l find this sound to be theraputic.

<a class="postlink" href="http://zipmic.dk/sjov/bwoon.swf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://zipmic.dk/sjov/bwoon.swf</a>

11. shauncorleone

shauncorleone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'd looked for the movie online for a while before the home release this week without any real success, and after renting & watching it again, I still say it's the best movie I saw in 2010. Yes there are plot holes, and no it's not as complicated as everyone makes it. It's certainly not flawless, but for a sci-fi/action movie drawing off a subject matter as complicated as fucking dreaming, I love the execution and enjoy every performance that mattered to me (DiCaprio, Hardy, Gordon-Levitt, Murphy). Most people that bash it are simply reacting to it being over-hyped. Given how the majority of action movies released the last 5 years are of the caliber of Transformers and GI Joe, it's a superb effort.