Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

In the event of Rapture, this thread will be unmanned

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kuhjäger, May 16, 2011.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

No, they're really excited because people are paying attention to them and they want their crazy bullshit theory to get validated. But even if it does, who's going to be around to know?

[​IMG]

Koolaid anyone?

2. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think this is two different groups, one general and one specific.

In general, some people have joy about the idea of the rapture because they believe that the afterlife or (rapture destination x) is a better place than earth today. Like, when people die, and they say "He's in a better place." A better place? No bills? No pain and suffering? That sounds a bit joyous; the catch is, nobody wants to just die now, because then all your loved ones and the things you do like here are gone. But, if they're all going "there" at the same time, it has a certain appeal. That general idea directed towards kuhjager's comment.

But, specifically, the current hysteria of May 21 - I think Juice may be right. (especially if they can profit from it)

3. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think it would suck if god was like: "well, I was going to give them all a couple thousand more years, but these people seem excited for it, and I don't have anything going on that day, so might as well start the apocalypse early"

4. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Momentary buzzkill: I always feel bad for the kids in these situations. Their parents will often do things like quit their jobs, leave their bills unpaid, take out ridiculous loans, sell the house, etc. Because WE"RE NOT GONNA NEED THOSE POST RAPTURE, KIDDOS!

If (and let's face it, when) this doesn't pan out....there's going to be a lot of families in deep shit. And while adults are responsible for their own mistakes, cult-related or otherwise, these children have done nothing wrong other than lose the parent lottery.

On Sunday, hundreds (thousands?) of kids are going to wake up with no food in the pantry and parents who are unemployed and broke, because DANGIT! Jesus didn't come this time. And no child deserves that.

5. hoju

hoju
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

At what time shall I expect to float up to the Heavens? Its it 12:00 AM, Saturday? Also, what time zone does God operate in? What if he doesn't recognize Daylight Savings Time? So many questions...

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

To take a comment I made in another thread, and apply it here, "it's all about the execution". No pun intended, but I'll take it.

I have to appreciate those that don't just wait for shit to happen to them, they make it happen for themselves.

[​IMG]

Fuck yeah.

[​IMG]

7. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Have we already decided on what the next date of the rapture will be after it doesn't happen on the 21st?

8. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not sure if it's on the site linked at the start of this thread or I read it somewhere else, but the crazies believe sunset Jerusalem time or 6:00 PM local time.

That translates to 10:00 AM central time. I would honestly like to be drunk as hell at that time just to celebrate, but I'd rather face the wrath of an angry God than explain to Mrs. Noland why I was knee walking drunk at 10 in the morning.

9. seelivemusic

seelivemusic
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

This sorta reminds me of all the Y2K bullshit. I saw many interviews with idiotic people who took on huge loans, quit their jobs, etc because the world was going to end.

I spent the y2k holiday in a dark server room while all my friends partied their asses off. At 12:30 I turned everything on, checked status, called the boss, and then went to party my ass off.

10. JGold

JGold
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As far as I understand (the Denver Post has given this a lot of coverage for some goddamn reason), the end of the world will start with an earthquake along the Pacific Rim at 6 p.m. local time. The rapture begins after that, with roughly 3 percent of the world's population (207 million) summoned up to heaven. Then we have five months of utter chaos until God finally hits the kill switch in October.

Should be fun.

11. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I get to be Warlord of America for that in-between part. I called it.

12. Queen-Bee

Queen-Bee
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Shotgun!

13. toejam

toejam
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I am gravely disappointed. Don't make me unleash my dogs of war.

[​IMG]

The rapture sounds kind of awesome, but here are a few questions I have: If Saturday really is judgment day, will the Mexican guys that run my favorite taco cart still show up for work on Monday? How do you saw the barrels off a shotgun to make a bad ass, but still effective, post apocalypse weapon? Should I finish compiling the reports I have to do at work this week? Should I tag small guns or speech? Did Harold Camping pay his taxes this year?

And most importantly - should I stock up on Cholula hot sauce for when we have to start eating each other a la The Road? I think it's safe to assume this will happen regardless of the method and speed of the world's destruction.

14. palmettosc

palmettosc
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Blitz! No games.

15. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

Overheard in the cafeteria today:

"If these people really think the world is going to end, why are they selling books instead of giving them away? What are they gonna do with the money?"

16. Volo

Volo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I believe the answer to all of your questions, whatever they may be, is that "he works in mysterious ways..."

17. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

December 21, 2012. Duh. This whole May 21 shit is just a smokescreen anyway.

18. tweetybird

tweetybird
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

In unsurprising news, psychologists have researched what happens when predicted end-of-the-world days come and go. Further proving that humans are not rational actors, being wrong about the end date strengthens members' commitment to the cult/religion/whackadoo club. The logic is that to admit you were wrong about the world ending would represent such huge cognitive dissonance that it's easier to continue believing what you always did and rationalize that in fact God/deity/Satan was just testing your faith and will reveal a correct end date soon.

So basically, there is no earthly way to convince these whackjobs that they're wrong. We just have to sit back and laugh at the unintentional fallout.

I found this out in my Consumer Behavior class during my MBA program. Who said an MBA wasn't useful, huh? Huh?

19. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

One of my ex girlfriends has been going on and on (jokingly, mind you) about how her due date is May 21st and that her upcoming birth will bring about the Rapture.

Not to be outdone, my current girlfriend is also pregnant with my kid... with a due date of October 21st... AKA, the day that the antichrist is supposed to appear and destroy the unwashed masses. So, in conclusion, those dicks in highschool that voted me "Most likely to bring about the end of days" may have been smarter than I thought.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2011/0518/Judgment-Day-Five-failed-end-of-the-world-predictions/October-22-1844" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2011/0 ... er-22-1844</a>