Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Important - Forthcoming Subscription Information

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nettdata, Apr 1, 2011.

?

Would you subscribe to TiB?

1. hell yes

8 vote(s)
    8.7%
  2. yes

11 vote(s)
    12.0%
  3. maybe, depends on the details

20 vote(s)
    21.7%
  4. probably not

14 vote(s)
    15.2%
  5. no

18 vote(s)
    19.6%
  6. blow me

21 vote(s)
    22.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

As the site gets bigger and bigger, it's becoming more and more expensive to host it.

The current AdSense based revenue isn't doing it, so we're looking at moving to a subscription-based model.

We're currently working out the details of how it'll work, but basically non-subscribers would get access to a small number of forums, and limited read-only access to some content, and no access to the Premium content.

Subscribers would have complete access to all forums, except for the Moderator forum.

The rough cost we're looking for is about $5 a month, or $40 a year for a full-on Premium member, or $20 a year for a "read-only" Premium (for all of you lurkers out there).

We're also looking at selling the rights to be a moderator for a week, that kind of thing.

This will all be happening with a switch to the new forum software Chater's purchased. Yes, we're making the move away from PHPbb and to vBulletin.

I know it's a big change, but we're hoping that it'll be OK with most of those people who enjoy it around here, and are willing to help out with keeping things going.

If you could take a moment to answer the poll, and voice your thoughts, that'd be appreciated.

Also, if you have any other thoughts on how to help pay for things, let us know.

2. Queen-Bee

Queen-Bee
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Question to Nett Daddy...

Would I, er, I mean, the female members, have to send private boobie pics to ALL the male mods to get that fee waived, or just you?

3. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

Money-making ideas:

• Subscribers Only: The Milly Zone - All Milly, All the Time
    • Pay-per-View: The Shegirl's Boobies Thread
    • Chater writes a fratire book which he then has made into a movie starring Dean from Gilmore Girls, then bankrolls the site with profits
    • For Sale: Chater will come to your Fast 5ive DVD Release Party wearing sunglasses
    • For Sale: Hunting trips with Nettdata
    • For Sale: Frylock will come lecture in your class on a topic of his choosing.
    • For Auction: Hotwheelz' Virginity (this is a potentially huge twofer)
    • For Auction: Blue Dog's Boat
    • For Sale: Ability to read one other user's PMs without them knowing about it.
    • For Sale: Mods will allow you to whore up your law blog as much as you want without repercussions.

Seriously, though, consider the model they have over at the SomethingAwful forums. Everything is a one-time fee. Joining up is $10 and it's good for life or until you get banned. If you get banned you just re-up your signup costs (unless you're permabanned). Avatars are $5. Signatures are $5. Ability to search and PM are extra. You can also spend money and change other users' signatures/avatars without their permission. I'm not saying all those things would make sense here (for example, they charge for searching because their search function is hard on the database [1]).

Also if you can find some way to charge pocket money for advertising by the site users (e.g., to whore a law blog out or something) that might generate some revenue.

[1] THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID

4. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would be opposed not because I wouldn't pay (I probably would, although FWIW those prices strike me as steep), but because I'm worried that it might cut down poster numbers and keep away fresh blood. That might partially depend on exactly how much of the content is locked behind "premium" walls, but it seems like this could really hurt post diversity.

5. JoeCanada

JoeCanada
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ohhh suuuure! "We need money to host the site!" says Nettdata, while he flies around in the TiB learjet with Chater, surrounded by beautiful prostitutes paid for with our hard earned $40 a year!

And while Frylock rides around in the TiB bus, surrounded by prostitutes paid for by our hard earned $5 a month!

Nice try, fat cats.

Yeah, I'd probably pay though.

6. PewPewPow

PewPewPow
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'd happily pay $10 for all the entertainment this site offers me.

7. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As someone who spends a whopping $8 a month on his crappy website, I have to ask ...What makes this thing so expensive?

Can we maybe look at ways to reduce costs, because I don't have no $40 a year.

8. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

9. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

10. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Do prior donors get some fees waived?

11. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would be more in favor of donations. I would gladly give you guys money for all the entertainment you offer me. But I would like to get new posters and more people so it isnt the same stream of idiotic opinions and lame stories. WE NEED NEW LAME STORIES AND OPINIONS. A subscription service would be the death of this website.

12. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hey it worked for Something Awful, and we're easily twice the board they are.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Call me when you have (a) content and (b) traffic.

As it is this site's database alone is over 300mb compressed, never mind the attachments. Combine that with the daily traffic and it's getting close to needing a dedicated box and not co-host with other sites.

Our network usage is also getting close to our max. Overage fees are insane, too.

14. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A big forum can see costs go up dramatically in pretty short periods of time.

We investigated a subscription model but half our traffic is walk-ins from Google search results so in the end it was easier to add advertising.

I recommend the popup flash ads that take over the screen and force you to exit out of them. They're obnoxious as hell but the CPM payout is off the charts. It'll also be obnoxious enough that everyone will be thanking you for adding a $40/year premium model after 2 months of them.

15. Degenerate

Degenerate
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Am I the only one that is struggling to find a reason to cut themselves off from this place due to the procrastination factor, but simply can't walk away until they're barred (pay site)?

Whatever happens, thanks for the laughs.

16. roy jones

roy jones
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

God forbid we`d just limit picture uploads, charge charge those promoting sites, recycle the dead threads....

It`s been real.

17. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This. The last thing we need is to keep the Ryan Millirons of the world away from this site. Like Frebis, I would gladly donate given all the entertainment this place has provided me (as you can probably see by my post count).

I guess it would depend on which forums would be 'premium' though.

18. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I bet you'd get a year's worth of hosting if you made the boobie thread premium-only and shegirl was the last poster in it.

19. WickedBitch

WickedBitch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Apparently. I caught it from a mile away.

20. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I caught it as well (ask Fryman or Frebis). But you do realize you could have milked this thing for at least another 3 pages right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.