Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

I'm never going back

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by downndirty, May 11, 2019.

1. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For the longest time, like most dudes, I just had a series of simple gym shorts. Some below the knee (basketball), some above, none less than a 9" inseam. I wear long boxer briefs (7-9" inseam), because they don't rise up or bunch up.

THEN I discovered rugby shorts.

$44 a pair, but I am an immediate convert. For leg days, they are simply out of the fucking way. They stay where I put them. They don't bunch up. They don't force my junk into awkward lumps, don't cling to my ass and don't roll down. Heavenly perfection.

I'm never going back.

Focus: What converted you? What are some things that once you've tried them, are clearly superior?

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Back when I had to wear suits for work, I started that job with a suit off the rack at Macy’s. It was... ok, but not great. A year or so later I had some extra $$ so a I bought a bespoke suit from a tailor on a recommendation from a friend. That thing fit like a glove and was far more comfortable than anything I had before it. And it just looked better overall. I saved up a bit and bought a few and never went back. Now I don’t have to wear suits or even business casual, but they still fit perfectly.

Bump.

3. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This toothpaste. I don't care if they raise the price to $20 a tube. Hell, I'd probably go to $50. I've learned the hard way that it doesn't travel well. The airplane pressure can pop the top open and spluge all over everything so if I'm doing a quick trip I use a traditional travel toothpaste but if I'm going to be traveling for 3+ days, I'll buy a tube when I get to my destination.

Attached Files:

4. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

My wife bought me a pair of lululemon shorts. I refused to wear them until I realized how much they cost. I begrudgingly decided to see what the big deal was.

I now own several pair.

5. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anti focus- Safety razors. I caught the fad when it hit the internet. I still like a good hot wet shave but it really does take time and effort to do right and rushing in the morning always gets in the way. I tried my brothers 30 dollar norelco and if done when not too long it’s twice as fast with no prep time. I noticed the 360 degree movement can also leave a closer shave than shaving against the grain and blade buffing can accomplish. I’ve been looking into getting a nice one. I also received a electric Gillette razor from work just a few weeks ago and it cuts even closer than safety blades AND is much much more forgiving.

6. joule_thief

joule_thief
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I like safety razors and won't go back to cartridge razor blades. I've used one for about 15 years. You have to love blades being about twenty cents a piece.

It does take more time, but it's the closest shave I can get.

7. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Kinda topical now, as I just got in a new trackball mouse. Amazon order history says I made the switch exactly 7 years and one month ago (bought a logiteck trackman) from regular wireless mice and I haven't looked back. Not as much of a learning curve as I thought -- it took maybe an hour or so and I got initial hang of it, maybe a day or two later and I didn't even have to think about it. I've gone through a few different makes and models of trackball mice since then, but my favorite I can already tell is the one I just received: the Kensington Orbit. First one since the trackman that isn't wireless. Not sure if that makes a difference, but it's worth noting.

I don't do a lot of work on the computer like someone like @Nettdata, but even just for the hour or so a day I'm on it, the precise controls and ergonomics of trackball mice makes a huge quality of life difference (especially on the days I do pull 8-10 hours behind the screen writing and formatting). I'm sure someone can chime in with a crazy expensive trackball mouse that's completely worth it, but for my purposes, I don't think I've ever spent over $40 on one and if/when it breaks I immediately order a new one without thinking.

If anyone is even considering a change, I recommend taking the $20 plunge in an instant.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

To that end... there are a few things that I do to help with my work, and that includes:

• Actively learning every possible keyboard shortcut I can. When I'm programming in my favourite IDE (Idea), I never have to touch the mouse. It's 100% keyboard driven. I probably know about 100 keyboard shortcuts to do what I need to do, and it makes me incredibly more efficient. I'm never going back to relying on a mouse. And even when I do, I have an uber-tweaked out mouse that has tons of customization to make it as useful as it can be.

• I make my ass sitting on a chair and driving a keyboard, so I have zero qualms about buying high-end keyboards and mice.

• I spend crazy money on my work chairs. I currently have a Herman Miller Aeron. Yeah yeah yeah, it's the old-school startup cliche, but I've had one for 20+ years and it is, hands down, the most comfortable chair I've ever tried. The first one I bought broke about 12 years in, and I called up for a spare part. They would not let me buy the part, as it was still under warranty... they sent a rep out to do the replacement at my home office, free of charge. Needless to say it finally broke down totally about 3 months ago, and I just bought a new one. It was delivered to my home office, and the guy set it up for me, and took away all the garbage. Never looking back.

• Orvis fly fishing rods. Not only are they phenomenal rods, but they have a lifetime replacement guarantee. My buddy snapped the tip off of one in the back of the pickup (closed the tailgate), and all they asked for was a pic of the pieces parts, and then said, "well, your rod is no longer made, so here are 3 higher quality options that you can chose from". Made my pick, and it was FedEx'd and at my door in 2 days.

9. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Also, because she came yesterday, a cleaning lady. Having a kid ensures my house is a mess. Having a cleaning lady every other week is the only thing keeping us from ending up on hoarders. It’s money I never miss.

10. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I identify sexually as a garbage person, I was just born this way(and my dad and grandpa flipping the fuck out being neat freaks just made it worse, no instilling of good cleaning habits). If I ever have the cash flow I’m having a maid for sure. In China you could have a live in maid/babysitter for as much as having a maid come twice a month here. We had a maid come 5 days a week. Way overkill for two dudes in an apartment.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Absolutely. Mine only comes once a month, but they clean the stove, bathrooms, showers, etc. Makes all the difference in the world. Especially on the large, all-glass walk in shower.

12. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Get a Roomba to supplement the cleaning. Those things are amazing. I didn’t believe how effective they were until my wife wanted one after our first kiddo was born. Now if it breaks today, I’m buying a new one on amazon immediately.

It’s paid for itself a thousand fold.

13. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

JetBrains IDEs can take every kb of RAM I own and then some. It's worth it.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yep. I personally pay for every tool they have. (ToolBox subscription).

Java, database, c/c++, .net dev and for Arduino.

Like you say, worth every penny.