Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

I'm changing my major to competitive eating.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sublime, Oct 21, 2009.

1. sublime

sublime
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Tomorrow at 5PM in the quad on campus I am competing against 8 other fellow students in a school sponsored chicken wing eating contest. I've never done an actual eating competition. I have seen them on TV though, and I have been known to get hammered drunk and eat lots and lots of fast food. The payout is a TomTom GPS system, which I plan on winning, and then immediately auctioning off for the best price I can get.

FOCUS: How do I prepare for this? What do I do the day of? Should I bring a bib? Do you have any experience with eating contests?

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

3. OBY

OBY
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

You gotta stretch the stomach out. Don't drink cold water.

How do you stretch? You eat lots.

That's about all I know on the subject.

4. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The most basic way is to eat a large brunch around 10-11am to stretch your stomach out. Then get some exercise to help build your appetite (probably finish this a couple hours before you start the contest), I'm guessing cardio would be best.

Good luck and stuff your face so greedily you would make Queen Latifah blush.

Yes, she's fat. Not beautiful.

5. goodfornothing

goodfornothing
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

You are kind of limiting your prep time by waiting to the day before. I would think the best thing to do tonight is to keep your stomach as full as possible by drinking shitloads of water and stuffing your face. You say you eat a lot drunk? Get drunk tonight and binge. A bib? I see no upside to a bib, wear some old undershirt you can toss afterwords.

Hopefully this won't leave you sick for tomorrow. That is the only thing I would worry about is upsetting your stomach from your preparation.

What flavor are these wings? A spicy wing competition could be entertaining to watch.

6. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've never been in an official competition or anything like that, but I have had to man up to some bets where I've talked a lot of shit to get into them. White Castle Crave Case - check. Three Chipotle burritos in 30 minutes - check. I eat a lot so neither of these were too outrageous (being 6'3" and 225 lbs helps) but usually the night before I would drink a shit ton of water and then not eat anything that morning so I'd be super hungry. I dunno, worked for me.

Do you bring a bib? Hell no, but I'm sure you'd be a crowd favorite if you showed up wearing some type of samurai robe and threated to kill anyone who challenged your eating prowess.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

One thing that will REALLY suck is the fact that they're chicken wings. That's like corn on the cob, in that everyone has their own definition of what's considered "done".

They should have a weigh-in... weight of wings before being eaten, then again after, and winner is the one who ate the most.

On top of that, not all wings are the same size.

Expect a lot of pissing and moaning when the winner is announced.

A straight-up hotdog eating contest would have been way better.

And you better post some pics.

8. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When they out you in the media, just tell them you thought it was league-approved.

[​IMG]

9. Omegaham

Omegaham
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If there's a large time-limit, (i.e. anything more than half an hour) TAKE YOUR TIME. You aren't Joey Chestnut - you're going to get full before the time limit is up. All those guys who go right out of the gate scarfing wing after wing are going to be sitting there at the twenty-minute mark going, "Fuck, I can't eat any more." Take your time, chew your food, (makes it more compact) and drink plenty of water to wash it down. There's not much else to say.

I had an eating contest with a couple fat-asses in my Boy Scout troop at the Golden Corral, (that place is amazing) and I got them to puke because they scarfed their food down while I just steadily attacked the buffet. It's not a race; it's a contest. Eating fifty wings over the entire course of an hour is better than eating forty wings in the first thirty minutes and dry heaving for the rest of the time.

10. ScottVanPelt

ScottVanPelt
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I only put in a quick google because I remembered seeing this on MTV, if you could find it in video form somewhere it would perhaps be fairly helpful. Eater X, Kobayashi, and some random young amateur dude (similar to you most likely) get followed around by MTV True Life and talk about their competitive eating routines. It was a pretty entertaining episode too, just for general purposes.

http://eatfeats.com/competitive-eating-television-shows.html

11. Sam N

Sam N
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In my hometown there is always a pancake breakfast kind of thing at my old high school. Before I moved away I would always go with a few buddies, pay the 5 dollar fee to get in, and then we would have a pancake eating contest to ensure all "get their moneys worth."

Despite being the lightest one out of the group, I won that fucker every time. I think my tops was 17 pancakes, each one packed with syrup and butter. And these weren't little bullshit 50 cent piece pancakes, these were the real deal. Average of 6 inch diameter. Yes, we measured.

How did I do it? Eat a huge meal, then nothing for about 10 hours or so (in your case just eat a huge breakfast when you wake up). Then smoke weed. Bam!

12. Choad

Choad
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Like another poster said: Stretch stomach out the morning of eating contest (I would eat a lot). Once your food settles I think you should lift weights and do cardio. Lifting makes you burn calories longer than cardio, so I'd focus on lifting. But run a couple of miles afterwords. Then do what you do best. GET FUCKING DRUNK! You binge eat when you're drunk? I see no reason to not go to that goddamn contest wasted. It's college right? Smoke some dope too. You go there having exercised like a beast earlier in the day and stoned/ drunk? Fuck man, those other slobs won't stand a chance...

13. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, I'd be careful with that. For me, being hungover totally fucks with my appetite the next day, and I often don't eat until 7 or 8 the next day. That, and the desire to throw everything up.

14. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

15. gtg2k

gtg2k
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Wear very loose clothing, stretch your stomach out tonight, and conserve your energy. This helped me get 5 pounds of a 6 pound burger into me in 45 minutes (unfortunately, I puked trying to get that last pound down).

16. sublime

sublime
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Okay so I finished a whole large pizza tonight by myself to stretch my stomach out and I was dangerously closing to puking. You know how when you drink too much and you gotta barf and you know you can hold it down if you really really try but you also know if you run to the toilet the minute you open the lid everything is coming out? That is how I felt afterward and I made sure I stayed away from the toilet and struggled with it and I am okay now but it wasn't fun. I do not want to even think or smell or see food right now and the thought of having this feeling again tomorrow is pretty nauseating right now.

17. Omegaham

Omegaham
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Gluttony only feels good when you're 300 pounds or more. Godspeed.

18. Woody

Woody
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Like all the other posters said, I've read only about stomach stretching, heres some quick tips that have been likewise repeated.

-Starving yourself for a long time actually shrinks your stomach. Your best bet is to gradually eat more and more at each meal. That will start to strech your stomach more and more without the pain. If you dont have enough time to do that then you will have to stuff your face at each meal and endure the pain.
    -eat and drink a lot of nothing foods. Eat a bunch of celery and cabbage, drink tons of water the day before. don't eat a damn thing for about 12 hours before the contest except maybe a few antacids or pepto. Go to town!

19. Choad

Choad
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

also, get one of your buddies to videotape this... of course upload and post the link here.

20. hiphopguru

hiphopguru
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

if you're going into like this then you've already lost...

90% of the game is the mental soldier...