Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

I'll have a diet beverage to go along with my double Whopper

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trakiel, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Right now I'm sitting at my desk at work being unproductive by surfing the internet. Every day I bring my flash drive in with me to the office because I tell myself that I'll get some writing done during lull moments in the day, yet I never do. For some reason in my mind, wasting time on the internet is an ok form of slacking, but opening the files on my flash drive and getting some writing done is not ok. It's like mentally in my brain if I actually take the time to open my files I'm deliberately and intentionally making the commitment to slack off, but if I just click on a website or ten it doesn't really count because I can close the page or get up to do work at any time. At least that's what I tell myself. Even though it'd be smarter to actually work on the writing because at a passing glance an open Word document looks less like slacking than an open webpage.

Focus: What lies and self-deception to you engage in, and what's your reasoning?

Alt-Focus: What's your favorite way to slack off?

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I go to the gym around 5 AM every morning before work, or most mornings anyway. Some days when I'm too lazy to get out of bed, I'll tell myself I'll go after work or in the middle of the afternoon. Then when the afternoon rolls around, I'm too tired and convince myself that it's a "rest day" and that I'll go the following morning and the cycle repeats itself. That can go on for a week until I realize I haven't been exercising and feel like garbage again.

That's what usually motivates me to go for a few weeks. But that lazy cycle always rears its head at least once a month. It's like I'm getting my exercise period.

Bump.

3. Gravy

Gravy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The alarms I set each morning are a pyramid of lies that are about as effective as Brazilian defense. I should stop doing it, but I'm pretty sure the false promise "to get up early in the morning and do it" is the only thing that will prevent the torrent of "oh fuck, I'm so behind and terrible at life there is is no way I can get all of this done, I'm going to get fired, and have to walk through the streets naked in shame oh fuck oh fuck" thoughts that make sleeping impossible.

Strangely enough, the only reason I'm writing this post is that I woke up from my first alarm for what can't be any more than the third time this year.

Twitter, reddit, TiB in an endless click of instant gratification. Half the time I don't even mean to be there. I just go out of habit at this point.

4. Queen-Bee

Queen-Bee
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ohhhhh, what I could post about this, but...

5. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't understand the ridicule behind getting a diet coke with a fast food meal. Why can't a meal be seen as a set of choices? "I really want the extra fries and so to compensate I'll get Coke Zero." I'm not going to get into the fact that it is all crap, even the diet stuff. I'm just trying to make the point that if someone wants to indulge to a point and not go further, I don't see why that is considered delusional.

6. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I rarely eat fast food but when I do I drink Diet Coke because that's what I drink.

Focus: I need to make a physical list of shit I want to get done and check it off as I do it. Otherwise, I'll slack off on the internet and only get half of it done using the lie of "This shit isn't going to take long, I have plenty of time." A couple of hours later I'm rushing to get some of it done so I can lie to myself and tell myself that I had a fairly productive day.

7. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you get a #2 with a Diet Coke or Coke Zero, then you had your indulgence and saved yourself from consuming 200 empty calories. But, the original joke that is the reference for the thread title was something like, "I'll have 2 Big Macs, a Large Fry, and Apple Pie. And a Diet Coke."

Focus: I'm right there with Gravy.

8. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Don't mind me, I just find that joke annoying and I'm being whiny about it.

Focus: Another morning scenario: I always think I will get everything done that I need to do in the same amount of time I always allot myself. I am consistently 5-15 minutes late for work. Logic would say that I should get up a mere 15 minutes earlier and actually be on time, but I always convince myself that the previous 100s of mornings there was something off and I'll get it together this time.

9. guernica

guernica
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just get Coke Zero because I like the taste better.

10. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Focus: I'm a shocker for putting off cleaning stuff or sorting through mail unless I know it's important. If it has to get done I'm generally pretty good.

Alt-Focus: theChive and phone games.