Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

If you have a hefty savings and wanna add to it, bet on Mayweather

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Mexicutioner, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They probably don't have them in the Canadia, but most of the Buffalo Wild Wings are airing the fight tonight. I'm sure you can find a bar to watch it.

2. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The Boston Pizza and BWW within 5 blocks of me are both carrying it. Still don't feel like going... heading off to a BBQ instead.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Interesting interview with Stitch (the famous cut man).

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Ouch... apparently the PPV from UFC.TV is way oversubscribed, and the internet is blowing up over the PPV not working properly on PC, Apple TV, etc.

Someone is having a bad night.

6. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Done deal. Ends as it kind of had to end.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

To be fair, I think Conor did much better than people thought he would... but he looked spooked at the start, came out hard, won a couple of rounds, and then gassed hard. Totally expected by everyone who knows how Floyd wins fights.

8. Czechvodkabaron

Czechvodkabaron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was surprised that Conor was able to land as many hits as he did in the early rounds and defend Mayweather as well as he did (not that Floyd threw many punches early on). It looked like Floyd was showing his age a little bit, and I was surprised that he wasn't able to adjust to Conor's style sooner. But Conor's hits just were not doing any damage at all, and McGregor already looked fatigued by the end of the 3rd round. There was never a moment in the entire fight when Mayweather looked like he wouldn't at least be able to last 12 rounds. Once Mayweather adjusted in rounds 3-4 I knew that it was over, but it was pretty amazing that McGregor had enough left in the tank to do as well as he did in round 8.

9. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

That fight made me even more of a McGregor fan, and now I actually like Mayweather too. I was a McGregor fan before, and even then I figured he'd get his ass beat in 4 rounds. He handled himself very well against the best fighter in the world. And Mayweather was respectful. I think it was a win for both parties.

10. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The fight went as scripted to ensure a maximum interest in a rematch, despite what is said. Mayweather knew after the first round he could win whenever he needed to, so he stayed out of trouble, let the fans get excited and then ended it when the fight had gone a respectful length. Mayweather did not want to take a chance of a lucky desperation punch in the last rounds. Now Mayweather will stay retired until a $200 million dollar rematch is talked about.

Of course I am mostly just shit talking. I would love to hear Mexicutioner's take on the fight as he does make his living on knowing what is going on.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I think that Floyd was genuinely surprised by Conor in the early rounds, especially with a couple of shots that came in fast and hard... but he weathered them easily, kept his distance, and let Conor punch himself out for the first few rounds. I gave Conor the first 3, maybe 4 rounds, but then after that he could barely stand, while Floyd was just waking up and seemed crazy fresh.

I do think that Conor performed much better than anyone (except his fucktard fanboys) expected, and a number of seasoned boxing pros gave him mad props for doing as well as he did... but yeah, he came nowhere near close enough to win... unless you include the paycheck.

In the end, I think it went exactly as was expected, and the main goal was achieved... Conor and Floyd got PAID.

Again, I would not be at all surprised if Conor announced his retirement... I mean, why not go out on top? What else does he have to prove? He's got a kid, and I can see him starting up a gym and trying to take over the MMA world with his own promotions and fighters.

12. KIMaster2.0

KIMaster2.0
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

People who remember my twin brother will know he was an MMA fanatic and a former amateur boxer. And I know a lot more and am a lot better at both sports now than my brother was back then.

Thus, it may amuse you to know...that I'm overall very impressed with the level of posts in this topic. Well-done, lads. Much better analysis than one would find on a typical boxing or MMA forum, actually.

2016 me thought this was a very intriguing fight, for the record. It should be mentioned that we have seen countless championship-level boxers and kickboxers compete in MMA and get knocked out in striking-only affairs by guys we only know from MMA. Or that a former boxing world champion in Paul Malignaggi had a bareknuckle boxing fight and lost to Conor's pal Artem Lobov, who isn't even considered a good striker in MMA.

And no, contrary to the first post, there is absolutely no such thing as a "sure thing" in sports betting, not even Mayweather vs. McGregor. Because, among other factors, one always has to consider the possibility of a fixed match/fight.

And indeed, the main reason I'm posting here is to point out that there was a fix that night.

You see, Mayweather CARRIED McGregor. He let him win the first 4 rounds. I was skeptical about this point for a while, but eventually, I learned that Mayweather, a degenerate sports gambler himself, tried to make several giant bets of a finish in rounds 10-12, after round 8, and similar props, likely through intermediaries.

This is of course completely illegal (you can gamble on yourself winning, but not the method, for obvious reasons), and no one took his action, but it largely proves the assertion that he dropped the early rounds on purpose.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Hey. Fucknuts. Or Twin Of Fucknuts. This thread died in 2017.

Just sayin.

14. KIMaster2.0

KIMaster2.0
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Hardly. It's a fascinating spectacle still talked about and highly influential to this day. Witness the slew of celebrity-driven boxing PPVs, nostalgia bouts, and cross-overs, all stemming from the insane success of Mayweather-McGregor. And the part about Mayweather carrying McGregor, which we only received confirmation of much later, totally alters one's perception of the bout.

Do you dislike all the new posts or something?

Well now, some would say this forum died circa 2015. And yet, here you are, still wasting away. (Which I genuinely applaud, as I've told you)

15. KIMaster2.0

KIMaster2.0
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I would have thought the username would make it obvious who I am. Maybe not. Anywho, go and respond to my post in the book topic. It deserves to be resuscitated.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Do not come back for the first time in years and start ressurecting threads that have been dead for years. As much as you might find it somehow current events worth rehashing, it's old news that has nothing new to bring to the table.

Don't be a dick, or you're gone. We did just fine without you for a few years, so get your (alter) ego and pseudo-intellectualism in check and show some respect for those of us around here, or we'll see how we do without you for yet another handful of years.

It's nice to see you back, but don't take your sudden reappearance as some special occasion to fuck around.

17. KIMaster2.0

KIMaster2.0
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Well, let's see now. I wrote you a nice PM when I first arrived, complimenting you on still keeping the board alive and wishing you well. I then made a number of posts sharing my views on books, movies, and TV shows, tried to spur further discussion, and even encouraged and tried to help a board member in the more serious topic, in the limited, imperfect capacity I can. I haven't written a single cross word to anyone.

You, by contrast, engaged with a post of mine by calling me "Fucknuts".

Which of us is being a dick here, exactly?

And don't do me any great favors, either. If you have a problem with me posting about books, movies, TV, and sports, this can be my very last post in the forum's history. No worries.

I've done an awful lot of reading since I came back to see what the board is like, how people have been (I genuinely wish you all well), what they discuss, etc.

So I'm genuinely impressed you managed to type a sentence about not fucking around with a straight face.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That was more an offhand term of endearment, not meant to be taken seriously. My apologies if it wasn't clear or taken any way other than that.

And thanks for providing some content, it's appreciated... all I'm asking is that you don't resurrect ALL of the old threads.

19. KIMaster2.0

KIMaster2.0
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Heh, fair enough. I appreciate you clarifying that. I'll try to avoid any mass resurrections. Incidentally, I didn't expect to write about sports at all here, since it consumes way too much of my time/attention as it is, but I meant what I wrote about being impressed at the solid analysis in this topic.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I get it... and again, appreciate your input.