Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

If you have a hefty savings and wanna add to it, bet on Mayweather

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Mexicutioner, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Let me just say, there's no such thing as a sure thing in sports betting.

Except for this Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor boxing match.

That ANYONE thinks a guy fighting his first professional boxing match will topple the best fighter of his generation is silly. That enough people do that betting odds have come down to Mayweather -450 and McGregor +325, I can't honestly believe it.

I don't have a crazy amount of money saved, but I'll literally be betting all my free cash on Floyd (with a little bit on him winning by KO/TKO/DQ at a smaller price -- I think McGregor's corner stops the fight)

I've written about boxing for 10 years and have never been more sure of anything in my life.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah... I really think that this fight will be the biggest "scam" in the history of fight promotions.

They hype is insanely outrageous, and I just can't imagine how anyone thinks Conor has even a small chance.

Again, unless he trips and head-kicks Floyd to the face. That would be fucking AWESOME.

3. Czechvodkabaron

Czechvodkabaron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I saw a story a few days ago where Floyd said that he wanted to "give the fans what they want" and go for a more offense based approach. He could be bullshitting, and should still easily win either way, but I have to wonder if he really will be more agressive given that he actually did approve the idea of asking to use lighter gloves.

I know that it will be a shitshow, but I bought a ticket to watch the fight at an AMC. I'm still excited.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Floyd will do whatever he has to in order to win the money. If he pushes it and it goes well, he very well might keep pushing it, and it might be effective due to Conor's lack of boxing experience.

That being said, I would not be the least bit surprised if he just does his typical boring fight to win.

And I can't blame him.... he still gets paid.

5. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And, so does McGregor. Meaning, I would not be surprised at all if he tries to hang with him until about round 8, and then tackles him to try and get a choke hold. I don't see a lot of downside to McGregor's future financial situation if he breaks the rules.

6. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Depends on what the rules are, there could be a rule that says if he does something like that he doesn't get paid.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'm pretty sure I read that there is indeed a clause like that, where Conor forfeits a huge portion of his purse if he goes full-on MMA on Floyd.

Hell, even a solid inside leg kick would fuck Floyd up if he's not expecting it or trained for it, and it seems to me that a leg kick would be such a natural thing for Conor to throw.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I know it's a bit of a watch at 10 minutes, but I'd be interested to get your opinion on this:

9. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

They're gonna sue the shit outta him

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

11. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

So what, $30 million instead of $100 mill? Whereas he gets like $3M for one UFC fight? And he gets footage of himself doing a spinning headkick to mayweather? He could just start a line of clothing with nothing but that image on it and make up the difference in a few years. "The penal system barely punished Mayweather so McGregor kicked the shit out of his fucking face. Here buy this $50 trucker hat with a picture of his floyd's face being broken in two. The money goes to subsidize McGregor's fine."

12. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah I saw a bit about this. Apparently the line opened something like -1200 Mayweather and the legions of McGregor fans started pounding the underdog. As a result the line is way off where it should be. I don't know about a 'sure thing'. McGregor is 12 years younger and could get a lucky hit in. It sure as hell isn't likely though.

I'm looking forward to when this over-hyped stupid show piece of a fight is over.

13. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This feels like the entire sport of MMA has stopped to rubberneck this incredibly stupid and pointless fight.

It also feels like it's rewound to UFC 1: "the best boxer of his generation fighting the best MMA fighter of his generation"...."except the MMA guy has to box, and can't do ANY of the things that make MMA interesting."

What a smelly jizz rag of an event.

14. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sign me up!

Seriously, though, can you not post about the 2016 Presidential election in this thread?

15. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Which is sad because you're gonna get a ton of people who don't watch MMA but will watch this, and they're gonna see what's billed as the best MMA fighter getting clowned, and they're never gonna give MMA a chance after that. Those people could be fans if they played it right, followed MMA rules with like boxing gloves or did something even remotely close to a level playing field.

Missed opportunity by MMA for sure, and it's pathetic. Just a money grab at this point.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Can't believe the fight is a few days away.

In the meantime, I'm catching up on the Tuesday Night Contender, but the version hosted by Snoop Dog and Urijah Faber. Have to say, Urijah getting hammered on gin and juice commentating with Snoop is the only way I can stand Urijah.

17. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, but Mayweather was never going to do that.

18. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Article on the ridiculousness of the McGregor betting frenzy.

People are dumb.

19. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can't wait til this joke of a fight is over. This is an EPIC cash grab, like Tyson vs. McNeely or Guns N' Roses latest tour. I've never seen SO much hype for a guy that is going to get destroyed, possibly even get himself dead. The really sad thing is, after he gets his ass kicked, they will do some sort of heavily modified MMA rules "Mayweather-McGregor II".

I read an article today that if McGregor breaks the rules, yeah, he loses money... But, if he breaks the rules and actually injures Mayweather, he opens the door to a lawsuit and damages that would "ruin him".

The only way McGregor wins is if he can somehow land a miracle punch in the first two rounds. After that, it's gonna be like watching me vs. Kevin Durant play a game of 1 on 1 basketball. I hope McGregor gets college credit for the education he's gonna get.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

"Foook the Maywedders!"

Yeah, can't believe the fight is tonight... am interested to see how it plays out, but not at all interested in buying the PPV... I'm more or less expecting to read how it went down exactly how everybody thought it would... a boring 12 rounds of Conor getting his ass handed to him and Floyd winning on points.