Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

If you had to pick...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dcc001, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Would you rather meet and be in a relationship with your One True Love, your perfect soul mate...

Or

Be wealthy beyond your wildest dreams, but never find a person you'd stay with?

2. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

Tough call for me. I think I found that person for me, and it would seriously bum me out not to be with her. However, if I never had to work again, it'd fix the last few problems in my life and I'd be a lot happier in general.

3. Judas

Judas
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

As of right now, since I have never had a soul mate, or felt like I would be in a bad place without one...I would definitely choose money. It would resolve everything, and I'm sure I could explore my passions with the money, which could in turn give me almost as good of self-satisfaction as having a soul mate would.

Tough call though. I'm sure if I ever find someone I'm head over heels for that position would change relatively quickly.

4. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What do you mean by "but never find a person you'd stay with?" As in you'd never be able to maintain a relationship? Or not be able to find the perfect soul mate?

If it is the latter, Im willing to bet a majority of people settle on relationships that are extremely rewarding but aren't with their "perfect" soul mate, I'd go with the money and the girl that is one notch down from perfect soulmate. If it's the former I think Judas makes a good point that being able to explore your passions could be equally rewarding. With divorce rates as they are you'd think our perception of finding "the perfect one" would have changed by now.

5. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If I could still be with someone who wasn't perfect, but was decent, I'd take the money. Basically, if I could have a stable enough relationship to have kids who weren't really messed up, I'd take the money.

6. Disgustipated

Disgustipated
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am at a stage in my life where I am thoroughly disillusioned with relationships. And anything at a particular point in time is always subject to change. Whoever is ideal today may not be ideal tomorrow. Yes, I realise this is a thoroughly cynical way of looking at things, but I'm the product of past experiences in this regard.

I'll take the money. That way I can have my One True Love by the hour every night.

7. Harry Coolahan

Harry Coolahan
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'm going against the grain here, but I would choose soul mate.

I can hardly bring myself to care about money anymore (I have been hilariously poor for the last three years, probably be another 1-5 years before that situation changes at all). And, I already know how to make good amounts of money if I set my mind to it, as past experience has shown me. And, most importantly, having that much money wouldn't make me much happier. I'm pretty resourceful in terms of finding ways to make worthwhile experiences affordable, yes it would be nice to travel five times a year rather than once or twice, but overall a lack of money has not made me any less happy. I have disposable income for the first time since getting to college and I forgot how awesome it is—but I really only need enough to make sure my back isn't against the wall for rent and groceries, anything more has quickly diminishing returns.

Whereas, man there is nothing lonelier than dating someone you don't particularly like, it's even worse than being single which also gets old pretty fast. Finding someone I could genuinely spend the rest of my life with would be awesome. (That is making the assumption that I will have matured enough to the point of even recognizing such a person—I figure it will be at least another 10 years before that happens.)

8. JGold

JGold
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, I'd choose soulmate.

I think living lavishly would be fun for 5-10 years, but after a while I'd burn out. The perfect woman would keep me happy for the rest of my life. There was no stipulation saying if you chose soulmate you'd be hopelessly poor, so I'm running off the assumption we'd be leading at least a middle class lifestyle. That's good enough for me.

9. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My first inclination was to take the money and run. Now, as I'm approaching my 30's, being in an only adequate relationship with all the money in the world sounds really hollow. I'd rather be broke and deliriously happy.

10. Queen-Bee

Queen-Bee
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yup, I'm with him. You'all can have your hearts and rainbows and puppies, but I know that it doesn't last. I enjoyed the bulk of my 19 year marriage, but it wasn't all that. True love, soul mate, blah, blah - long term it's a fairy tale. I think we trick ourselves into believing in it because it feels so damn good in the moment and we're all supposed to find love. The reality is that people change and the chances of you both changing at the same time and in the same direction..........well, good luck with that. Even if it's great for a time, it will (or should) end and with deep love comes deep pain. No thanks. Tried it - didn't like it.

As long as I can have quality friends with benefits, with an occasional romantic fling thrown in to experience the butterflies and blushing, then I've got what I need.

Well, that and the buckets of cash that's part of the deal. I've never cared a whit about money, but I am carefree enough to have a LOT of fun with that. I am one person who will really know how to get it right, so bring it forth!

Besides, $$$ has NEVER let me down or hurt my heart. Fuck people.

11. caseykasem

caseykasem
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would take the money hands down. I've never had a soul mate and have done just fine without one, although this is easy for me to say at my tender age of 22. The thought of a long term relationship scares the hell out of me. Like many have said, I would rather be insanely wealthy and have a woman who is one step down from perfect. If I couldn't find the woman who was one step down from perfect, I would hook up with every money grubbing lady that I possibly could.

12. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    This is by far the easiest question I've answered in a long time:

#12 Danger Boy, Oct 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  13. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Scott Adams once told a story of asking a young girl whether she'd prefer to be happy and poor, or rich and unhappy. The girl responded that she'd rather take the money and be unhappy. Adams was rather disappointed with her shallow choice. But the girl went on to explain: it would be easier to be rich and unhappy and become happy than it would be to be poor and happy and become rich.

That said, money. Perhaps I'll change my perspective in a few years' time, but it seems to me that even if we take the challenge at face value, moving between women when you get bored of them won't be so terrible. And I see nothing in the question forbidding life-long fulfilling relationships with friends and family, or failing to find satisfaction and meaning in anything. You take your soulmate; I'll take my private yacht docked on the waterfront of Monaco during the grand prix, with the attendant booze and women.

Also, relevant Onion article: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.theonion.com/articles/study-casual-sex-only-rewarding-for-first-few-deca,2274/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theonion.com/articles/study- ... deca,2274/</a>

Casual sex is only rewarding for the first few decades.

14. Chirpy

Chirpy
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Soulmate. Every day and twice on Sunday, hands down.

I see so many happy couples who have been together for years and years that it's incredibly encouraging. My sister is one amazing example...they've been together for over 25 years (they met when I was 10) and as annoyed as they get with one another sometimes, she still looks at him with "that look" and still opts to sit on his lap even though there are plenty of seats around. Those two started out young with practically nothing--she's an elementary school teacher as well, so she wasn't breaking the bank--and now they are living in one of the wealthiest towns in her state, go on vacations, and to NYC for shows...it's an awesome life. For me, I know that when I was with my ex, I was at my very best. He was certainly as close to a "soulmate" as I've ever gotten and it was magical bliss. Even the bad times were awesome. I felt prettier, more confident, and as a result went back to school and earned both of my masters. Because of me, he left home, earned his MBA, and got a better job. We made a great team.

Point being that if you're with the right person, they can challenge you, encourage you, and support you to drive you to new heights. I've seen it time and time again. You can earn the money together. I'd much rather drink and laugh and smoke cigars and fight and fuck and be goofy with and dance and sing in the car and pick at and be boring with one person who really knows and gets me than to have people hang out with me because I have a boat or a beach house or something. But that's how I define success in my life: with big huge loud guffaws while delighting in the nuances of comfortable silences. And you just can't buy the little moments in which to delight.

Case in point (and I don't mean it rhetorically): let's say you had the money and all your worries/problems were gone, then what? Wouldn't you want to share that contentment/happiness with someone who really appreciates it and is happy, in turn, for you?

15. Primer

Primer
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm certain that if you asked any of my friends, they would tell you that I would take the money and run; they would be wrong.

You see, the girl is wrong, as is Adams reason for disappointment. In life, reward is useless if success is easy to attain; it's human nature to want what you do not have. Greed is a powerful force and one that has many faces, most of which are indistinguishable from one and another. Greed drives a person to want a better car than their neighbor, greed drives someone to want to be more educated than their friends and family, greed drives us to find our soul mate. There isn't a goal in this world that doesn't have some form of greed attached to it - the real trick of that questions isn't if you want money or happiness but what kind of greedy you are.

Money is easy to get; have an idea, try it out and hopefully make a buck. Find a new idea; try it out and hopefully make another buck. Sounds a little like love, doesn't it? Meet someone, try them out and hopefully find love, etcetera etcetera. How is love or happiness any easier to find than wealth? It's not, it's just that we're greedy for something we cannot easily attain.

16. thevoice

thevoice
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Forgive such an emotional response, but I choose Soul Mate.

My reason - The death of my Mom.

My parents were married for 27 years and had (from my vantage point) a great marriage. Sure they'd occasionally bicker and squabble about trivial things, but they never fell asleep on an argument, and through it all they're affection towards one-and-other was incredibly evident.

When my Mom passed, my Dad received a pretty hefty life-insurance check. It was more than enough money to help him pay off the mortgage, take a few vacations and help me pay off my car loan - But I know that if he had the chance to swap all of that money and everything he owned to have her back alive and cancer free, he'd do it in an instant.

The problem will an abundance of wealth and money, is that too much is never enough. Whereas if you've found somebody who you can fall asleep with and enjoy the days of your life together - That's a source of wealth in itself. Sure you can travel the world and buy all of the toys you want - But if you don't have anybody important enough in your life to share all of that with, then to me it's all for not.

17. Dr. Gonzo Esquire

Dr. Gonzo Esquire
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Do I have to remain poor if I choose the first one? If not, I choose meet my soul mate. I can always make more money.

18. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't like this question.

Assuming I wouldn't be dirt poor, I would take the soul mate. I've been dirt poor before, there was nothing in the world that would have made me happy back then. I budgeted about $4 a day for food, and slept in my car if my friends didn't have a couch for me to sleep on. I also almost failed out of college that semester. Nothing depresses me more than those few months did.

Middle class with a soul mate probably wouldn't be that bad of a life.

On the other hand, being rich would make my one problem in life go away. That problem being that I hate work. All work. I've had many different jobs, and I've come to the conclusion they all suck a dick. If I had a boat load of money I could: do more charity work, lay around drunk all day, snowboard 50 times a year, play golf on world class courses whenever I wanted, go on vacation anywhere and everywhere, and hire enough 19 year old hookers to make me forget that I never met a soul mate.

After typing that last paragraph I'm not sure what I would chose, because that just sounds awesome.

19. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Both are overrated, but I'd choose love.

I've seen few people happy with a boatload of cash but no one to spend it with.

20. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm too much of a social person that it'd drive me crazy having all that money. If I ever do strike it rich, I'm spending it on my wife, my family, and charities. And I'm telling no-one. I deeply value the honest relationships that I have in life -- with my family, my friends, and my co-workers -- and money like that would make people like me for the wrong reasons.

That really bothers me.

I could travel the world constantly, and eventually it'd lose its luster. I'd rather save up and go on an awesome European vacation after a few years, because I think I'd appreciate it more. What's the fun in having wealth if you were just given it? It's all that hard work and then finally "making it" that's the fun part, and while what you do once you're fuck-you rich would also be awesome, I'd rather enjoy the trials and tribulations of getting there.

I'm not sure I believe in "soul mates" or whatever, but I'd be happy with an honest, loving, loyal marriage. I think I'm on that right track right now I believe with my wife, so it's looking good. And I've had more positive experiences because I got to share them with her, than I ever had when I was having fun being single.