Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

If you had to pick...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dcc001, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

I don't know if this will make the greatest topic, but it's an interesting question I've talked about with some friends, so I'll put it out there:

If you had to pick, would you choose to meet and communicate with an alien life form (assume you could have a translator or something where understanding each other wouldn't be an issue), or would you choose to see how the universe was created? And why?

2. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How the universe was created, hands down.

I could give two shits about talking with alien life forms. I can barely relate to regular people on this planet sometimes, how the hell am I supposed to talk to an alien about, well...anything. "So...space is pretty big, huh? Bet it took you a while to get here. You know, this one time I drove from Connecticut to Florida and...nevermind. Want to get a beer? Oh, right...no mouth."

Now creation, that's the biggest fucking mystery of all and it encompasses how everything, including the aliens, came to be. Imagine knowing what caused all of the incomprehensibly vast hugeness that surrounds us. It would be more incredible than the first time I discovered my dick could cum.

3. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, universe. It's more than likely that the alien creatures are giant cockroaches, and cockroaches are pretty gross when they're tiny.

4. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Aliens all the way (assuming they are friendly and technologically advanced). If anything I think seeing how the universe was created would really put into perspective and show you how small, powerless and insignificant you really are which would fuck you up forever. Kinda like the "total perspective machine" in one of the Hitchhiker's guide books.

There's probably nothing useful you could do with that information.

Technologically advanced aliens on the other hand may be able to give us some kick ass information. Imagine a spice or pill that makes fast food healthy or extremely cheap healthy food tasty. And that's just the tip of the iceberg, there's the potential of flying cars, teleportation, cheap renewable energy, efficient waste disposal etc...

Of course they could always say that it's natural for advanced civilizations to just collapse on themselves after they reach where we are... that would kinda blow.

5. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've lived with women my entire life, so the whole alien thing has lost it's luster. Show me the Big Bang.

6. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When I saw the Thread name I thought it was going to be something like 'fuck you Mom or be fucked by your Dad'. I was oddly disappointed.

7. Crazy Wolf

Crazy Wolf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think I'd go for the alien communication. The Big Bang is interesting to me, but not as interesting as a new sentient species with advanced technology.

8. XAM

XAM
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Aliens I'd probably have a hard time relating with ... maybe they'd suck or just leave my psyche scarred for eternity with their weird ways.

The universe I most likely couldn't comprehend ... maybe it'd be a huge letdown.

After either experience I'd just question my mental health.

If given a third option, let's say: a couple of beers and a day off, I'd take it. Actually, I'd just be happy if I wasn't presented a situation like that. Now that I think of it, I'd rather cut off a couple of my own fingers rather than have to do either of those things.

... but ... yeah, Aliens, at least it's more probable that it'd fuck with my head less than knowing what the universe is all about.

9. Bjornturoc

Bjornturoc
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

If I could communicate with an alien, I'm sure it'd be a weird and uncomfortable experience. Think of how different the cultures between different species on a different planet. Things they might find everyday and routine, we might find disturbing and horrific. There's too many things I could imagine going wrong with that encounter. I'll take the universe for $200, please.

10. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Aliens... as long as they keep the rectal probes locked safely away from my ass.

11. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would have to say aliens. Just for the bragging rights. Because 1. how do I know that the person telling me about the beginning of the universe is telling the truth, and 2. Why would anyone believe me if I chose to pass this knowledge on. I think knowing how the universe began would just make all the religion v. science debates particularly annoying.

12. Sam N

Sam N
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ok, just for clarification:

The question says nothing about the alien life form being more advanced or intelligent than us. What if the form was like us, lived on a planet like us, and had nothing to offer besides a few dick jokes over a beer or two? What if it was a slug, and couldn't really say shit. Worse, what if it was like this abomination:

[​IMG]

On the other hand, you wouldn't be "told" how the universe was created, you would be shown it. So there would be no need to question the validity of what someone "told" you like lostalldoubt86 thought he was clever in mentioning. And whether or not it really helped you in life or was that interesting to know, I have to imagine it would be hands down the coolest thing you could ever see.

So yeah, show me how the universe was created, no question about it.

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

How the universe was created, of course. I want to see the size of that giant light switch God flicked on, maybe get a picture of me "leaning against it" that'll look fun!

14. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Seeing that I am shy (especially around new people I meet), I imagine meeting with an alien would probably be pretty awful for the both of us. So I would go with the seeing the creation of the universe. Plus I want to know what was there before it.

15. LadyLecter

LadyLecter
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Well an ideal would be that I would have a TARDIS (possibly joined by Tom Baker's Doctor) and I could do both, but as for one or the other ...

I would do aliens provided that they were friendly and were willing to talk rather than roast me or kill me for some horrible thing I did to offend their culture. I love meeting new people, so a new species would be incredibly fun.

I am very much with Frank on the creation of the universe, because the first thing I thought of was the total perspective machine from the Hitchhiker's Guide series ... seeing how small you are in relation to the whole of the universe might just make your head explode as in Scanners.

16. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Aliens. I want to be the first to meet an extraterrestrial alien, then have sex with it.

I'm sure there's a 6 breasted blue belly dancer out there in some galaxy, but if first contact is just an amorphous blob, we'll have a go anyway. Won't be much different from college kegger nights. Space herpes kind of scares the shit out of me, though.

17. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

To paraphrase the great Stephen Hawking, "Aliens would fuck us up"

18. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm only clearing this up because it's happened 5 times. I am not a man. I am a 24 year old woman. Also, I read the question wrong, but I would still be annoyed with the religion V. science debaters.

19. Sam N

Sam N
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So......

....post your tits?

20. Stealth

Stealth
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The question arises .... would you see for yourself ? or would someone ( God ? ) show you ?

As for WHY , I doubt one could work out the WHY just by seeing the HOW ; so again ... who would tell you the WHY ?

God ?