Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

If I could change one movie

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Mike Ness, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I love movies. I am absolutely guilty of watching a movie on TNT with commercials when I own the damn thing. I am also guilty of watching a film and secretly hoping for a different outcome even though I have seen the thing a hundred times.

I wish every fuckin time that Roy MaCavoy would have just laid up and birdied the hole in Tin Cup, I wish that Neil didn't go back to kill Waynegrow at the end of Heat, and most of all I wish the Irish guy and Amish decided to try and save William Wallace in Braveheart. I know that it's these particular scenes that often make the picture unique, and it's what makes it great in the first place but that doesn't mean I can't quietly wish for it.

FOCUS:- If you could change the outcome or a famous scene in a film, what would you do?

*** Try and pick well known films and make logical changes, don't say I would make Natilie Portrman play Halle Berry's role in monsters ball, or I would have Clint Eastwood shoot Tao in the opening scene of Gran Torino.

2. Joka

Joka
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I wish Neo could have taken the blue pill, so they wouldn't have made those terrible two other abortions.

But in all seriousness,

I've always laughed/kinda wished at the idea of Butch leaving Marcelous Wallas to be raped by Zed.
    And I sometimes wish that Indy would have just blown up the Ark with the rocket launcher.

3. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Titantic. If only it hadn't of hit the iceberg and for all the added benefits the Titantic would have bought to trans-atlantic travel.

Seriously though, I think for obvious reasons avoiding movies that are based on true stories is probably a good idea.

Eastern Promises:

Ohh he is an undercover cop, wow what a twist! Does he see dead people too? Keep Viggo as a mobster and have the story be the touch of humanity he gained.

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Knowing
    This film had the coldest and most ridiculous ending to a movie EVER. Combining science with biblical prophecy? Begorrah!!!! Change it how, I don't know. Just fucking CHANGE it.

Road to Perdition
    Jude Law does NOT show up at the lake house in the final scene. Why they did this part, I don't know. Fantastic movie, but you don't HAVE to write in an unhappy ending for it.

The Dark Knight
    The camera cuts away, and the Joker falls to his death off the building. Since Ledger is dead in real life but his character isn't, what now? I personally HATE it when actors take the same role that somebody else (usually better) had before them.

5. Dread

Dread
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Exactly what I was going to post. Since Heath Ledger is dead, I would have rather seen The Joker die and Harvey Dent survive. It's an awkward situation now regarding Christopher Nolan's third Batman movie. People are going to want to see The Joker and those same people are probably going to shit on the film because they can't have what they want.

6. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Filming had wrapped when Ledger died and I believe the intention was for he to be in the next installment. Nolan then made the call to leave the film as it was, I would wager money he will not cast anyone else as the Joker.

Harvey Dent did survive, he became Two-Face and I am assuming the intention is to bring him in as a villian in the next part.

7. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would have changed it to your suggestion regardless of Ledger's demise. Fuck the comic book nerds; it just doesn't make any goddamn sense that Batman won't kill the Joker when he would save so many innocent people by doing so.

I'm almost certain Nolan considered it, but decided not to at the last moment because of potential fan backlash. A shame, considering every other scene in the entire movie was so excellent.

8. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wasn't that set up throughout the movie though with the runnings theme that Batman wasn't the Joker, Joker said they were the same, Batman kept trying to say he wasn't etc

9. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You could look at it that way. However, note that Batman already had a clear opportunity to kill the Joker midway through the film, but allowed him to be taken in by the police.

By doing so, the Joker easily escaped, killed a bunch of innocent people, and very nearly murdered many more. Near the end, Batman is back in the exact same spot as he was before...and he makes the same decision yet again?

Wasn't another theme of the movie making the hard decision that you don't want to, but know to be the best course of action? (Batman saving Dent over Rachel) There is no way that keeping a dangerous criminal who escapes the police with ease alive is the right thing to do in that situation. However difficult it might be for him, Batman should sacrifice his ideals there, no?

10. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He attempted to save Rachel but Joker switched the addresses so that point is somewhat moot with regards doing the greater good.

Batman doesn't kill, that has always been his schtick. I can't be overly critical to the writers for keeping to what is a pretty critical part of the character.

11. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Me neither, for the same reason. However, personally, it is something that would have upgraded the film from great to borderline masterpiece. Sometimes you just have to break a part of the adapted character/storyline.

Since Crown Royal brought it up, I'm curious what he thinks.

12. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Would your feelings on the ending be different if Ledger was alive and we were getting another chance to see him as the Joker?

13. Dread

Dread
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Did you watch the same movie that I did? It was made quite clear that Dent is dead.

14. Dmix3

Dmix3
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Batman didn't save Dent over Rachel by choice, he thought he was saving Rachel, but the Joker played him.

No, Batman should not sacrifice his ideals, it's his ideals that make him the Batman, and one of those ideals is not taking human life, regardless if he takes the blame for them over Harvey at the end. The only reason he did that was so that Two-Face was never exposed and the criminals now think that he will kill if necessary, inspiring more psychological terror.

Who wouldn't want to see what Arkham looks like through Nolan's eyes?

Two-Face is dead, confirmed by Nolan and Eckhart, so I doubt he'll be showing up for part three.

Focus - Even though I enjoyed him on Lost, I wish that German would have gutted Jeremy Davies' whiny little bitch ass on the staircase in Saving Private Ryan.

15. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My comment was presumptious on my part, assuming he would return as Two-Face as the movie set up towards this. I have nothing whatsoever to back this up.

16. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not saying this because I'm a huge twilight fan, but:
    I wish the end of Remember Me didn't take place on 9-11 with Robert Pattinson's character being in the tower. That was completely uncalled for.
    Spoiler about Remember Me

17. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No.

I also remember the cries of outrage when "that guy from Brokeback Mountain" was cast as the Joker in early 2007. Granted, I always thought Ledger was a good actor, but I think it's no accident that Nicholson (whose version I liked even more) and Ledger both did so well as the Joker. It's an extremely juicy, theatrical role with numerous chances to shine.

Realistically, a couple dozen other good actors would have also made for an excellent Joker, too.

Well, that's the interpretation of the comic book writers and fans on the situation.

But realistically, does it make any sense that Batman would willingly allow so many innocent people to die because of his ideals? That he would essentially murder them by his actions? That's what he is doing, after all.

I have always thought the Batman comics ranged from mediocre to straight garbage, (yes, even the one written by Alan Moore) and the live action films far surpassed them. This refusal to kill, trademark or not, was one reason why.

18. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I agree with KImaster that I really would have loved to see Batman say "I'm going to bend my rules for you, and killed the joker but I also would have loved to see Ledger back as the joker. I can't remember being so fixed on one character in a movie since D-Day in Gangs of New York.

p.s., I think were a tad off focus here.

19. Wadget

Wadget
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

FOCUS: The scene where Danny gets shot at the end of American History X. I realize it essentially brings the movie full circle but goddamn it is hard to watch.

20. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How would you have ended it but? If someone has a better way they are far more creative than myself.