Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Idiot-syncrasy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Revengeofthenerds, May 7, 2019.

1. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

I'm one of those people who has to have their cup of coffee in the morning. Don't talk to me before I have it, don't expect me to do anything before I finish drinking it. Morning coffee is my routine. One cup, a little cream. Two cups of coffee if I expect it to be a really shitty day or if I really have to shit.

Except when I'm anywhere but home. Work trip, vacation, in-laws, camping, at work, doesn't matter. If I'm anywhere but home, the only way I will drink coffee is black. If I'm ordering from like starbucks or McD or somewhere, and I'm not taking the coffee home, it's black. If I am taking it it home to drink (like I order it on my way back), then there needs to be cream involved. This also alters my bathroom habits, as I was recently reminded when I visited my parents in florida for about a week. Tough luck, tummy. You're gonna gut it out until you get reinforcements at home.

Also to my wife's confusion, I absolutely refuse to give a shit about the appearance of my clothes if I'm at home or otherwise someplace where I'm relaxing and no one else will see me. It's basketball shorts or sweats, whatever soft tshirt is at the top of the drawer, and crocs with socks. This has lead to me wearing multiple shades of the same color, and other apparent fashion faux pas such as a red shirt with green shorts, orange and black together, white with white etc. She insists that it's important to always match your clothes, and I insist that when no one is going to see you it matters fuck all.

Focus: What are some of your idiosyncrasies? Can you explain the reason for them, or are you just as perplexed as everyone else?

Alt. Focus: What are some idiosyncrasies of others that drive you crazy? Your SO runs the loose end of the toilet paper roll behind the roll (i.e. the WRONG way)? Roommates keep aiming cameras at the neighbors trying to induce a justifiable homicide?

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Before I shower in the morning, I always brush my teeth first. If I get in the shower without doing so and realize it, I’ll turn the water off, get out and brush my teeth and start showering all over again.

A cup of coffee is usually how I start my morning too if I don’t go for a run first or something. I was drinking far too much up until a few months ago (5-6 cups a day). So after the first cup I drink decaf tea or just hot water with a slice of lemon.

Also I quietly say “hello” to toilets or urinals before I use them. I don’t know why, it’s weird.

Bump.

3. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can’t pee in toilets or urinals if it hasn’t been flushed from the last user. I don’t care about wasting water peeing in other people’s piss disgust me.

On the slightly ocd side at the gym reracking plates I’ll even out the number of plates on each side of the squat rack if they weren’t even before going as far as walking to another plate holder to get the extra one.

4. AbsentMindedProf

AbsentMindedProf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don’t go that far but if the plates aren’t organized right I’ll fix them. I.e. if there’s a 25 in the 45 rack I’ll move things to get it in the right rack.

5. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah I’ll do that too, I mean someone took the time to design it so the plate sizes fit the best. Why fuck it up?

6. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Same. It smells, and there's inevitably going to be some splash back, even if it's not very visible/obvious.

I don't want to be getting a stranger's piss on me. Unless I'm paying extra for it.

I'm not sure how much, "I wear comfortable and non-fashionable clothes when I'm home alone" is an idiosyncrasy. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

7. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I once moved a cumulative 1,000 lbs of plates so that each squat rack had a single brand of plates each.

8. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I fucking hate gyms that have different brand plates mixed together. On the more reasonable side I wait or move Olympic bars to their old ones because my gym just bought new ones that seem to be smaller in diameter and ends spin is noticeably different. Fucks up my movement on heavy lifts.

9. Esian

Esian
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I generally start my morning with a 10-cup pot before 10:00 am and you just made me feel kind of weird about it.

My truly weird thing though is I tap the wall every time I walk through a doorway and I tap the counter every time I walk past one. Everyone once in a while someone new will point it out at work and I'll notice it for the next few days before going back to ignoring it.

10. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Every day must start with coffee or equivalent caffeine. Typically I make a 10cup brew in the morning, consume 5 cups, and then the other 5 the next day. No, I don't stick it in the fridge. I drink that stale shit like its giving me life. I am truly a junkie.

11. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

If caffeine is going to kill me, I’ll consider it a noble death

12. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't like when someones face on the cover of whatever magazine is in the bathroom is looking back at me while doing my business. I'll reach over and flip it face down. Otherwise I feel like Al Roger or whoever is smiling at me mid-shit.

13. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Man I thought I had caffeine issues.

14. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I usually drink about 1-2 12 cup pots of coffee a day. I also drink my coffee the way God intended: black and hot. None of that iced or cold brew shit.

Like bewildered, I'll finish yesterday's leftovers before starting a new pot.

When it's cold, I've been known to drink a pot of coffee before bed.

15. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have the equivalent of 2 cups of coffee on my way to work. After that, I'll have 2-3 Diet Cokes over the course of the day. I also take 50 mg of Adderall with my morning coffee, so I probably don't need the caffeine nearly as much as you folks. To put that into perspective, when I first started taking my 10 mg prescription, my house was spotless, I lost 10 pounds, and if I had any caffeine after 12 PM, I was going to be awake until 3 AM.

Alt focus: Hair. Fucking hair everywhere, man. My wife's usually, but now it's my daughter's hair too. And shedding dogs. Hair in not only my wife's bathroom sink, but in mine too. I once pulled a 3 foot long hair out of the sleeve of my hoodie at Safeway and nearly bit through my lip to keep from screaming. Every time I vacuum, I have to disassemble it and use a machete to hack the hair off the roller. Pulling hair out of the shower drain that has been coated with soap scum and jizz used to be as disgusting as it sounds, but all the hair has strangled the life out of any kind of dismay I felt back when we moved in together 7 and a half years ago.

Despite this, I'm not here for "Let me see your manager" mom haircuts.

16. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Jesus.

First, not all coffee is created equal. Try some light roast, DON'T boil the water (it needs to be slightly hotter than tea), and put it in a French press (grounds, then water, stir, sit for 2-4 minutes and plunge). Dark roast has less caffeine: caffeine is sensitive to heat. It has a range (I think cold brew is bullshit, because it doesn't move the caffeine out of the bean into the liquid). Coffee brewed well has a layer of oily bubbles and foam at the top of it. That's the good shit. Spices like cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg will augment the caffeine kick. I can vouch for a spoon full of dark cocoa powder (Hershey's can go fuck a fucking fuck). Gevalia is a decent, widespread brand. Trader Joe's has some good stuff too. Source: coffee farms in Honduras, Nicaragua and Indonesia.

If you can find 100% robusto, light roast it's more bitter but the most caffeine in natural, average coffee. Most stuff you see is a blend between arabica and robusto, heavily emphasizing arabica. Robusto isn't as widely grown and is kind of a more sensitive crop.

Finally, it needs to go in something thick and creamy. I'll do coconut milk from a can (creamier), or sometimes a mix of half and half and milk/coconut milk. Just plain milk is too watery, almond/soy milk are crimes against God and I only need enough for one cup 2-3x a week. Coconut milk lasts longer than cow milk, is easier on my stomach, and takes a lot of the acidity out of coffee.

It's thick, tastes like coffee should taste: not bitter, buttery, and is low-grade rocket fuel. If that won't do it, try Mr. Hyde pre-workout.

I'm OCD about few things, but food. I know if I have groceries in the car, it's literally hours before anything starts to spoil, and most fruits/veggies don't even need to be refrigerated. However, I have yet in my adult life went to the supermarket, bought food, and went somewhere other than home.

I'm a terrible driver. I'm often distracted, and I'm in the car for two hours a day. I leave ample space between me and the car in front of me. Like a 1.5 car lengths if I'm going 45, two if I'm going 60, and two and a half if I'm over 60. I get so annoyed when someone cuts into that space (even though that's partially why it's there).

17. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

+1 on the French press, also because it requires nothing disposable and the grounds are good for compost. Plus the whole process is therapeutic and enjoyable.

A nice conical burr grinder is nice to have as well because of the uniform grind size. Coffee will be less sludgy and taste better. I sometimes use heavy cream in my coffee if I want to lighten it up, but black is my usual.

18. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wow... We've got some real coffee "enthusiasts" on this board...

FOCUS: I have a very specific rule about shorts:

I WILL NOT wear shorts in public, UNLESS I'm not wearing shoes.
    I don't like having my legs exposed in the middle with both ends covered.

I don't know why I'm like this, I've been this way all my life.

EDIT: I will not wear brown shoes.

19. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Amazon reviews on mr Hyde are hilarious. Maybe I finally found one that works...

**edit** added amazon link... also: ACG3 is what I normally use. More sustained energy, that one. I'm more a creature of habit than idiosyncratic when it comes to exercise and sports.

#19 Revengeofthenerds, May 11, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
  20. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    That's one of my things....I leave plenty of room between the car in front of me and myself because other drivers are assholes. And it never fails that someone jumps into that spot and then slams on their brakes. Then I look in my rear view and there's fucking no one in sight. All I can think is "Really? It was that important to get ahead of me and make me slam on my brakes to avoid running up your asshole?"