Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

I wouldn't pay a penny for John Tesh's Greatest Hits

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Angel_1756, Aug 11, 2015.

1. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm just old enough I caught the tail end of vinyl. I can't remember my first album I (or parents bought for me) was either Ray Parker Jr's Ghostbusters theme song single or:
    [​IMG]

2. TJMax

TJMax
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The first record I bought was a vinyl of Huey Lewis & The News' Fore, in early '87, shortly after my town's first Walmart opened. The first CD I owned was Van Halen's OU812, given to me by my uncle after he forgot to send in his Columbia House card. The first CDs I bought, at the same time in the summer of '91, were Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime and Skid Row's Slave to the Grind. I wish I'd kept the longbox (remember those?) for the latter, as the artwork was designed for that rather than the smaller CD sleeve.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Lovebug

Lovebug
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Oh, this is an embarrassing one. For all you posters saying this shows how old you are, it can be just as bad being young.

My first self-bought CD and concert were...at the tender age of 8...Aaron Carter. I had the biggest crush on him for the better part of a year. I would say no shame, but there's definitely some shame about that one.

4. Tim

Tim
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'm not sure I'm playing this right but my parents bought my first vinyl albums for me, Michael Jackson's Thriller, Prince's Purple Rain, and Jermaine Jackson's, uh let me stop. I would swear the album was Return of the Ant People or something but wikipedia doesn't list it. Youtube says it's a song, so I'm not on crack, just drunk. I don't think my parents knew what Darling Nikki was about, but I don't think they would have cared.

I did the Columbia House thing and got anally raped by the "return the envelope thing". I had Foreign's Four, something by Dio to which I never listened, Loverboy's Get Lucky, I had to consult wikipedia to figure out what album had "Working for the Weekend", Def Leppard's Pyromania, which remains a good album but fuck that Pour Sugar song. I believe I also had the first Motley Crue and Ratt albums.

I also had a guy make cassettes for me of all the Van Halen, not Hagar, albums. I still listen to those and weep that I only know how to play chords on a guitar. I did have 5150 on a vinyl album that I took to the roller skating rink, I was in with the DJs.

In the high school where I went people listened to a lot different stuff and it was pretty awesome. You didn't have to listen to hard rock or rap to be cool. I learned about college rock, which I think what alternative was or came to be or whatever. So the first CDs I got where REM's Dead Letter Office, which has the Chronic Town EP, which I think may be the best thing they ever did. Wolves, Lower and Carnival of Sorts. I also started listening to the Church, the Smiths, New Order, Joy Division, the Replacements. For me, that stuff still stands up. Nobody know about Fine Young Cannibals' first album and they should.

Actually the first album, I believe, credits Jenny Jones as a drummer. For anyone that remembers Jenny Jones. I know there's a show out there that shows her playing the drums but I can't find it youtube. Find it for me and get a rep point, whore.

The first concert to which I ever went was the the Police Synchronicity tour. I was nine. I'm not sure why we went, I think my parents were trying to be cool. I remember that Re-Flex opened for them.

I remember the colored lights and perhaps "Every Breath You Take". My dad was kind enough to get me the Rolling Stone Issue with Sting on the cover. My little brother somehow fell asleep during the concert so we left early. We gave our stubs to some college kids, I think in those days you could get back in with a stub.

Pardon my commas, I can't close parentheses on my laptop.

5. dewercs

dewercs
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I found this in a thrift store yesterday and bought it to spite my parents not letting us listen to Rock $7, the first time I ever heard Glory Days my head exploded.
    bornintheusa.JPG

6. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am not sure if this is the first, but one of the most memorable. George Michael's Faith. I can thank this thread to falling down the rabbit hole of youtube videos and reminding me how absolutely incredible he is. Beautiful singer, songwriter, and man. Love this...what an incredibly passionate performance. This is what heartbreak looks like

7. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Haha, yeah. I remember as a kid watching Careless Whisper and thinking, "She left him because he cheated on her and I actually feel bad for him. Dang he's good."

8. TJMax

TJMax
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

It's too bad George Michael focused on bubble gum pop, because he's a great singer.

9. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It was a dual buy in maybe 4th grade. Waynes World soundtrack, and Amy Grant's "Heart in Motion"

10. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He has some bubblegum pop, but he also has stuff with much more grit, more soulful stuff too. Man, I love me some George Michael