Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

I wouldn't pay a penny for John Tesh's Greatest Hits

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Angel_1756, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I had a boom box that would record from the radio. I made a bunch of mix tapes with that thing.

2. Czechvodkabaron

Czechvodkabaron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't remember the first CD that I bought with my own money, but I do remember getting my very first CD player, as a gift for my 10th birthday. My parents (especially my dad) raised me on their music, and with that CD player they got me these 7 CDs:

Pink Floyd - The Wall (that famous title track was my favorite song back then, and was the main reason why I asked for a CD player)
    Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
    Todd Rundgren - The Best of Todd Rundgren
    Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Greatest Hits
    Frank Zappa - Sheik Yerbouti (This is the album with "Bobby Brown Goes Down" and "Jewish Princess." Yeah, my mom still resents my dad for that one.)
    Eric Clapton - The Cream of Clapton
    George Benson - Bad Benson

Those are albums that I can still listen to today. It wasn't until about a year later that I started listening to more modern music, and got No Doubt, Savage Garden, Jewel, and Spice Girls CDs--the ones that I...don't still listen to.

3. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

First album I bought with my own money was the soundtrack to Mighty Ducks 2. On cassette. I wore that fucking thing out.

My first concert I ever went to was unfortunately New Kids On The Block. I actually didn't want to go, but my sister did and it was at an amusement park and my parents forced me to go.
    My first concert I went to by myself was Rage Against The Machine and Wutang, which ended up being a fucking shitshow when people in the crowd nearly burnt down the outdoor venue.

4. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

My first tape was New Kids On The Block. The first CD was along the same lines of suckage...Ace of Base. I didn't start listening to what I would consider Good Music until I was 12.

5. Vorticon

Vorticon
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I got given Gangsta's Paradise on cassingle for my birthday when I was about ten by one of my friends. The B side was the disappointing 'Gangsta's Paradise (Instrumental)'.

I think the first tape I bought with my own money was One Fierce Beer Coaster by the Blood Hound Gang because Fire, Water, Burn was all over the radio and me and my 11 year old friends thought that was way edgy and cool. I remember the guy at the shop telling my mother it wasn't that bad and it would be fine for me to listen to. I listened non-stop on my walkman during a big family road trip of the South Island, I'm pretty sure I still know most of the lyrics.

First concert was a bunch of NZ bands you haven't heard of at the Town Hall when I was 14. The first international act I saw was probably Tenacious D when I was about 18 or 19. Jack Black was in town filming King Kong and they played a couple of shows.

6. joule_thief

joule_thief
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Never bought vinyl, but the first cassette was Gun N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction. Pretty sure the first CDs I bought were Spin Doctors - Pocket Full of Kryptonite and Stone Temple Pilots - Core.

7. drunkfish

drunkfish
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

The first cassette I bought myself was Guns N' Roses- Lies, Lies, Lies. First concert I ever attended was the Monkees Reunion tour in 1986 when I was 6. Also playing that night was Herman and the Hermits. I still love The Monkees.

8. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My first album was a cassette of G&R's Appetite for Destruction.

My very first CD was Jimmy Buffett's Songs You Know by Heart: Greatest Hits

My music tastes range rather far and rather wide

9. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You and I are in the same boat with that one: My first two CDs were Master of Puppets and Astro Creep 2000 by White Zombie when I was 13. I had to keep them hidden from my mom. She probably wouldn't have made a big deal about Metallica (she let my brother listen to them), but if she saw any of the artwork or lyrics from Astro Creep, I'd have to kiss it goodbye.

I never joined Columbia House, but I DID join BMG when I was 14 or 15. Every month they would send you a mini-catalog, and there would be a featured album. If you didn't send the monthly flier back to them, they'd send you whatever the "pick of the month" was. Like most teenagers, I was too lazy to do that bare-minimum requirement, so they started sending me the monthly features.
    What I did was I just wrote "Return to sender" on the boxes, and put them back in the mailbox. After 4 or 5 months of this, they ended my contract.
    Keep in mind that I NEVER bought any of the required discs at "club prices;" they just let me have the 10 CDs for a penny and called it a loss.

I had a few friends in high school who would sign up for CD clubs, and once all of the threatening mail started coming in from the collection departments, my friends would write them a letter saying that since they were minors under the age of 18, that they could not enter a legally binding contract. And it worked.

Here's an interesting article on the subject:
    http://www.100megsfree2.com/scksht/cdscam.html

10. voltronman

voltronman
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

The first album I bought myself was The Offspring's Smash. It will always be my favorite album. I listened to it over and over and over.

11. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Haha, that brings back memories of a friend of mine whose parents gave zero fucks when it came to censoring their kids. We were ten fucking years old and she had the Iron Maiden Number of the Beast album.
    They also had Skinemax (and were heavy sleepers), the father kept playboy and penthouse in his drawer and the older brother had even raunchier stuff in his. I got quite an education at their house.

12. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

I was driving myself crazy as I was reading this trying to remember the name of the band of one of the three albums I bought on my first CD-buying trip and then I read your post, so thank you. They were:

Americana by The Offspring
    Mirrorball by Sarah McLaughlin
    and The Slim Shady LP by Eminem.

Because those all make sense together.

13. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Honestly I forget my first album and/or single. Probably something shitty like MC Hammer or the Ninja Turtles soundtrack hit Vanilla Ice hit Go Ninja. My first full album I remember getting from a friend was Nirvana's In Utero. My dad signed us all up for these 12 CDs for a penny deals a few times so we had dozens of shitty CDs and a few classics.

14. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Weymouth, U.K. (formerly Durban, South Africa)
    First cassette tape I bought was with my Christmas cash from 1994 - The Three Tenors in Concert at the World Cup in '94 (fuck it if I didn't get the title right but it was the live one they did during the 1994 World Cup)

First CD I bought was in 1996 - Soundgarden's A-Sides. I didn't even own a CD player until the next year so it sat in my drawer. It was primarily inspired by the PC game Road Rash, which had at 4 tracks on it by Soundgarden that were all on that album - Kickstand, Outshined, Rusty Cage and Superunknown.

Not sure what this says about my music tastes but I listen to all sorts except crap featuring a lot of Autotune.

15. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Room for one more? My first 45 was Billy Joel's Movin' Out, which is respectable. But the first album I bought with my own money, was Donny and Marie when I was 7 years old. Hey, Marie was cute, and I was also a little bit rock and roll.

R-1526518-1343630906-4561_jpeg.jpg

16. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

First album I ever bought was Snoop Dogg's Doggystyle. It was a year old or so and I was about 11 or 12.

17. jenny12many

jenny12many
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

The first cassette I purchased was NKOTB, Hangin’ Tough. My little lady boner for Donnie was strong and only intensified when my parents begrudgingly took me to the Hangin’ Tough concert. There was something about a shirtless grown man wearing overalls that were ever so casually half fastened that really did it for me.
    The first CD I owned was Wilson Phillips self titled album. “Hold On” was on repeat on my sony discman until I procured Heart in Motion by Amy Grant – further cementing my tween love for shitty female bubblegum pop.
    A couple years later my taste had drastically changed and I signed up for the BMG 1 billion CDs for .01. I can’t remember all the CDs I selected but White Zombie's Astrocreep 2000 was among them. Unfortunately shortly thereafter my Southern Baptist mother raided my room to find that CD along with Pussy Whipped by Bikini Kill. She took the time to read the lyrical inserts and was convinced that songs like “Suck my Left One” had possessed her little princess and ended up sending me to private school.

18. dewercs

dewercs
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My first album was U2's Unforgettable Fire on vinyl, had it exactly one day before my dad labeled it the devils music and smashed it to bits. I was a very angry 12 year old for a few days in 1984

19. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You should have started with War and played "40" for him, as in Psalm 40.

My first album was on vinyl in 1983, Synchronicity by The Police. Still a classic album. My first cassette tape was Dire Straits' Money for Nothing, and I think my first cd was Southern Accents by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - also still a fantastic album. I still prefer to buy music on cd's. There's just something about having the physical form in your hand and listening to it as an entire unit. Plus, some of my favorite songs are ones that were never heard on the radio, so in my mind just buying or downloading songs that are popular means you're missing some great music. You never heard Dire Straits' "It Never Rains", U2's "Exit" or Sting's cover of "Little Wing" on the radio.

20. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's nice to see all of us old folks coming out of the woodwork.
    My first vinyl was Quiet Riot's Mental Health. My parents weren't real fans of the art work, but they let me keep the album.
    My first cassette was Foreigner 4 and my first CD was Dio's Sacred Heart. I had already owned all the Dio cassettes including Sacred Heart, but I had just about worn them all out so I re-bought Sacred Heart, Holy Diver, and Last in Line.
    My first "real" concert was Motley Crue with Whitesnake as their opener in 1986 at the Worcester Centrum.

Ok, now back to my lawn chair.