Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

I want it to be easier on my eyes! & other squabbles

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nettdata, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Should be mentioned that a perpetual license would be preferred. Not saying that an annual license is out of the question, but it better be a fucking kick ass skin if that's the case.

$0.02

2. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I say we go with a late 90s Geocities motif of a single picture tiled over and over again in the background.

Perhaps the best rated tits on the boobie thread.

3. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

What about this one?

(Example Link) (Product Link)

It's relatively the same color scheme as what we have now so people won't be frightened and confused and it's got a nice clean, sleek look to it.

4. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My only request is that the background be anything other than white. Title of the thread and whatnot.

I vote for one of these.

5. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Mine would be the opposite. I dislike the look of pages that are <color>-on-black, such as this. I find them extremely visually jarring.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Personally, I'd rather see something a bit darker, less white than what we have. Not the jarring black background shit, but something a little more soothing.

You know, affirmative action, and all that.

7. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah those neon-green-on-black ones would just make it look like we all really need to get off the board and take a shower. I'll take a look around and see if anything looks good.

Alright, I took a quick look through the sites that Chater posted, the forum monkey one is useless because it only does skins up to 3.8. But out of all of them, the only ones that didn't look either rinkydink/ completely stupid were the Aesthetica series on Complete VB- here's the blue one.

The Complete VB site has the most professional looking ones, all the other sites just look like ass. There's gotta be better skins out there, though.

8. hooker

hooker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Colour schemes and layouts when I'm designing sites are almost never about about what I like, what my boss likes, or even what my visitors like. They're more about what works best for the human eye.

It amazes me how often people fuck up colour choices online. Nobody wants to linger on a forum with a shitty colour scheme, but sometimes if the content is good enough you'll force it because you have to.

Maybe I drink too much Apple kool-aid, but there's a reason everyone thinks they do it right. Look at their site. Keep it simple stupid. Dark on light is what our eyes are trained to enjoy.

Maybe the layout of the board sucks right now, but the colour scheme is actually easy on the eyes. New is fancy - but don't change it just to change it.

9. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The default VB skin looks like shit though. This format is way better than what we're moving to.

While VB has way better features, a new skin is almost a requirement.

And personally, I find pure white like that to be a bit harsh. I'd rather have something a little more muted so it's a bit easier on the eyes at night or in a dark room.

I'd also rather have something that's a little more compact with the size of icons, etc., so that you get more info per pixel and don't have a ton of white space.

Again, just my personal preferences.

Other than that, all I can say is "Don't Make Me Think."

Attached Files:

11. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You call the mod forum 'The Lounge'? I was hoping for something more badass like 'The War Room' or 'The Pits of Nihar'

12. hooker

hooker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I agree that too much white might suck, but I think a lighter background with dark text is far more visually pleasing (for forums) than the dark layouts posted above.

13. Lasersailor

Lasersailor
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Honestly, I don't care. As long as it has vGambling / vBetting. Or whatever you call it.

14. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dorsia?

And as some people pointed out, those dark themes I suggested actually look kind of trashy. How about something similar to what the RMMB looked like? It doesn't have to be brown-and-tan, just as long as there's a way to read on a background that isn't Rembrandt white.

15. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I do not mind the current shades at all. Anyway they can be retained in the new format?

16. StayFrosty

StayFrosty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Jesus, please no. That theme was uglier than a platypus having diarrhea.

Count me for dark text on light background. I wouldn't even mind seeing something with a bit more blue in it, maybe like [​IMG]. Sorry the image isn't bigger, but I don't have a vbulletin account. A pro, this skin would be free.

Edit: Might be good to add a link to the skin.

17. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I actually really prefer the white/blue. It's a cleaner look than most forums, there's no bullshit about it, and it's easy on (my) eyes. I'll search around for more.

Also, I think when choosing between a fluid or fixed display, I'm more a fan of the fixed. For people with gianter monitors, it'd get ridiculous.

18. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Can't edit my last post, so I'm pulling a Net:

The forum at vBulletin has a ton of options. You have to create an account to view some of the screenshots though.

[edit] oh god damnit, apparently to even view screenshots with an account you need to confirm that you actually own vBulletin. Lame.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Let's not just add a bunch of "I think it should be like this" posts.

Post links to a theme that you like, preferably where it's for sale and downloadable... not just another forum that is using it.

In the end, it's not really going to be a group consensus for which one we go with.

If you REALLY like a theme, and it's not the one We go with, we might open up the possibility of letting you buy the theme and donate it, and you can choose to use it instead. Maybe.

(By the way, that was the Royal "We", not the Plebian "we").

20. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

+1, please offer a dark color scheme. Maybe something like a dark gray with subdued red?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.