Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

I used to collect stamps... now I collect WoW gold

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Decatur Dave, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Nitwit

Nitwit
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Cycling: I love to ride the bike. I have two mountain bikes and two road bikes. It can be a great escape. Whatever may be going on in life, I can get on the bike and just ride it all away. It's great for fitness. Riding consistently is generally guaranteed to keep the body fat off. I get closer to nature. Whether I do a fifty mile ride down the coast or a couple of laps around the wildlife reserve, the variety of wildlife around here is amazing and the perspective is much better than from a car.

Jet-skiing: I ride a Kawasaki Ultra 150. Whether riding full out on a glass surface just to feel my eyelids pull back, thrashing and spinning around with friends down at the ski-basin, or taking a cruise out to Port A for lunch, it always feels like a blessing to be there. However, there is nothing that I enjoy more than going out to the big water when the waves are big. This is enhanced when there is a hurricane in the gulf. I only have one friend who is willing to do this with me, and man do we have fun. Being out there in violent seas and knowing that when I fall off I am literally swimming for my life with nothing but my life vest, that upside down ski ten or so yards away, and the buddy system keeping alive is a great feeling. If you want to know what it's like to feel small and totally insignificant yet simultaneously like Superman, try doing this.

Reading: My reading habits ebb and flow. We have a used book warehouse in my town that is loaded with books that I either trade my books for just buy outright for ridiculously low prices. It's great place to find old books that I wouldn't normally think to look for. A few months ago I found a dog eared copy of Lonesome Dove for $1.39, which led me to read the other titles in the series, which led me to two other old miniseries books, Roots and Shogun. I think I'll go there today after I close the shop.

2. Chellie

Chellie
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I read up on evolution and evolutionary psychology. I've found it amazing how much it helps in making rational logical decisions to understand why your mind is instinctively leaning one way or another on something. When you know why you're having a response, you can determine if there's value in it as it applies to your current situation, or if it's really just a knee jerk reaction that doesn't apply at all. Highly recommended: The Moral Animal and Sperm Wars for some easy but educational reads. Also, anything by Dawkins is good to spend an evening with.

3. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ditto to reading, lifting weights, boxing, writing and cooking.

Comic books. Not often, but every now and again I'll delve into a comic. Right now, I've got my girl into Preacher, I'm reading Sin City and I just finished the Scott Pilgrim series. They are quick, entertaining reads, and unlike actual books, if I reach a point I don't like where the story goes, I toss them. I'm not learning much, but I'm not expending much time or effort either.

Junking. Yard sales, flea markets, thrift stores. I rarely go to any of these places with the intention of buying anything. It's a combination of nostalgia (Ninja turtle action figures! VHS Tapes! Super Nintendo!), failure on parade (Mullet watching, ironic t-shirt spying), people watching and deal-hunting. 90% of the time, I come home with some veggies, a book or three, maybe some tool I thought I could use, never dropping more than $10 but always with a story to tell. Also, the flea markets are the best place to get honest-to-God Mexican street food. Mangoes with hot sauce for $1, anyone?

I used to be into airsoft and paintball. Both deal with entirely different scenes and of the two, I prefer airsoft. It's less expensive, less pretentious, it still has the "bunch of awkward kids shooting each other in the woods" feel, and it's more realistic in terms of equipment. However, it's the "Call of Duty" version of LARP'ing, which is about as ridiculous as it sounds. Paintball can be a lot of fun, but unlike airsoft, your skill at paintball is somewhat determined by your experience. Also, paintball can get stupidly expensive just to play. I can remember spending $200 on a Saturday just for paint and air. I've recommended both to any parent with kids, because they are fun, safe, usually drug and alcohol free scenes that welcome kids from just about all ages. And you get to shoot people.

4. Sicnevol

Sicnevol
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Reading: I read constantly, which can kind of suck because I read so fast. I can get through a 600 page book in a day. Its one thing I really love.

Kendo:
    Although I can't find a place to practice now that I've moved, but I go out in my lawn and go through the moves. Nothing makes me feel better when I'm upset then slashing a sword around, even if it is made of wood.

Archery: Just target shooting, I don't have enough pull weight to get a hunting license. I don't really want one though. Its super relaxing.

5. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Never played airsoft, but I absolutely love paintball. It's the perfect combination of teamwork, tactics and skill. I love the fact that getting hit with a paintball hurts so pulling risky moves actually takes balls, unlike something like lazer tag where there's no consequence.

Agreed on the cost though, it gets silly expensive for just one day of playing, but man that one day is fun.

In the past I've done LARPing, I never really got too into it, I just love watching those people interact. Seriously, go to one of these events for a day or weekend and immerse yourself in it, you will experience a much greater culture shock than going to a different country. I actually camped a week in Ohio for Ragnarok. Without a doubt this was the most memorable trip of my life, almost every single person there had at least one weird trait that made them unintentionally hilarious. On top of it all you spend next to no money doing it, going for a day is usually free.

I also enjoy lifting. There is something about putting 300+ pounds (yeah, I know some of you guys squatting 500 are laughing at this, fuck you) on your back that just makes you feel like a man, and the sense of accomplishment of breaking a PR is hard to replicate. I'm everyone's best friend when they need to move which usually leads to free beer and food.

Lastly I love hiking, I usually go on 3 big day hikes every year and I hike/run the mountain I live on almost every day. You go through hours of hard work which is rewarded with the most delicious meal you ever had, (a peanut butter sandwich after a hike is better than a steak dinner after a day of laziness) a gorgeous view and a serious sense of accomplishment. Not to mention that it's free which satisfies my frugal side.

6. silway

silway
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I LARP. Quite a bit actually and have for many years. The variety of different games out there makes it hard to generalize, but the ones that I participate in have been great for immersive and meaningful storytelling, good exercise, and great friends. There are a lot of feelings of accomplishment that can come from the various goals to achieve and it's been, while often frustrating, overall a positive hobby for my life.

I also help run them, which is almost an entirely different experience. Considerably more stressful and time intensive and prone to bitterness, but also incredibly rewarding to help craft a communal story that impacts people in a memorable and emotional way.

7. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Reading isn't really even a hobby anymore but more of a way of life. If I don't consume a book every two or three days I start going through withdrawals. The double edged sword is that if I lock into something REALLY good I can't put it down. I read it cover to cover and then move on to other things like eating and showering.

Sailing. This is my favorite hobby. I've been doing it religiously since I was 12 and love it more now than I did then. As I've matured I enjoy taking longer and more isolated trips. Cruising between the coasts of CT & ME no longer cut it and I think a good Atlantic crossing is going to be in my near future.

Antique furniture restoration.
    I bought an expensive table sight unseen at auction and was disappointed in the piece when I got it home. I had a few places quote me prices for restoring it and was floored by what they charge. Since I did all my own finish carpentry on the boat and the internet could tell me what I shouldn't do I decided to give it a try. The table came out beautifully so I moved onto other projects. This is a seasonal hobby as I don't even think about it until autumn. As soon as the weather gets cold I suddenly get the urge to fire up the wood stove in my workshop and start working on something.

Automotive tinkering.
    Unlike the majority of the population I enjoy working on my own vehicles. I have a true love of cars and can't even bear the thought of some "quick lube" jockey messing with my ride. I especially enjoy doing tricky motors swaps and building custom turbo/intercooler setups. Figuring out how to shoehorn a motor and extensive piping into a limited space and getting covered in grime doing it is relaxing. The funny thing is that I hate "repairing" my vehicles. If it's a run of the mill part replacement I bring it to my mechanic friend and have him do it. He complains that I always do all the "fun stuff".

All of the other stuff I do seems to fit into a general wellness category. I run/hike, lift, cycle, box, and cook to keep myself in as decent shape as possible given my love of dark liquor and microbrew beers.

8. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Focus: What's your hobby? Why, what makes it enjoyable for you?[/quote]

Ever wondered why I post so often in the Guns & Ammo thread? I make custom riflestocks as a hobby:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The top two are complete customs- I started with an idea and block of wood. The one on bottom was the first stock project I completed (however I started with a rough finished blank so it's not a completely custom rifle).

It started as something to pass time during wrestling season in high school (it's difficult to go out while cutting weight hard), however it has grown into a very small business (I'm very particular about projects I take up). I do it because I love shooting, love woodworking (I also make hardwood/carbon fiber laminate stock blanks), and I enjoy running the business. Besides, the money I make pays for ammunition and range fees (and fun things like scopes/rifles once in awhile). Can't complain about that.

9. JoshP

JoshP
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I scuba dive, because well you're fucking breathing under water and it is awesome. It is super relaxing, and its fun seeing what no one above water is able to. Also I love lobster hunting, it sucks because it is during the late fall and winter months, but then again Northern California diving is never warm. I have my Advanced Open Water Certification and 6 specialties. I am going to take down the rescue diver course this summer.

I also love R/C stuff....Fuck you all I've had sex, I could have bought more R/C stuff instead....
    I have 2 trucks and a helicopter. I have 1 that is a Nitro RC truck, it is pretty cool it is an 1/8 scale monster truck and does about 45, and I have a 1/10 scale RC Trophy Truck that does about 65. The chopper is about 9" long but it is just for flying around the house and annoying the dogs. I hadn't thought about RC in forever, until about 5 months ago when my buddy who is an RC nut brought over his new waterproof Slash, we saw how fast is was and 6 of us now have them, and we used an excavator to build a track on my buddies property. As I am typing this post it is just sounding worse and worse. My initial statement stands! If you enjoy camping RC off-road trucks are the shit. These new waterproof ones are super fast and super durable.

Guns, Guns, and more guns. I have an AR-15, XD45, and a 870 express tactical with a M4 stock. Unfortunately now that I am out of the Army and live in CA, I can not purchase the firepower I desire. When I graduate I will be seeking employment in Texas.

Snow skiing, attempting to golf, motorcycle riding as well as camping and wake boarding are all great seasonal hobbies of mine.

10. White Zombie

White Zombie
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Let's see. Hobbies. Well, I shoot - some would say alot, but seeing as how I only started shooting when I turned 21 when I got my first handgun, I like to think/say that I'm just making up for lost time. My first Basic Carbine course taught by Pat Rogers of EAG Tactical I coming up late this month, and I'm really razzed about it. It'll sure as hell be different than the IDPA matches I normally shoot. My current collection has shrunk a little bit, but I've still got a S&W Model 28-2, S&W Model 19-4, S&W 1911, T series Browning Hi-Power, Beretta 92fs, Remington Wingmaster 870, and my AR which I assembled myself and which is on its third barrel, and my Ruger 10/22 which I'm probably going to sell off shortly.

[​IMG]

Yeah yeah yeah, I've got an ARMS rail and an EoTech. Sue me. I didn't know any better regarding he ARMS rail, which I bought a year or so ago, and the EoTech was too good deal to pass up. I plan on upgrading my gear as budget permits. But hey, at least I'm sporting a Daniel Defense barrel, Colt Full Auto Carrier, and a BCM bolt. I spent money where it really counts.

I also collect Zippo lighters. I really like old ones, ones with engravings, and especially the ones with the hand wrought bodies in Sterling silver.

I also like to smoke pipe and collect ones that I find to be pleasing to my eyes. My latest aquisition was a briarwood pipe from an estate sale that has jockeys on horses wrapped around the bowl in Sterling silver. I've got my first Meerschaum pipe on the way, and I've got a couple more briarwood pipes coming in from the Ukraine. I've also got a couple of other briarwood pipes from Italy and a couple of corn cob beater pipes from Missouri if memory serves me correctly.

The latest aquisition. I've never seen another pipe like it.

[​IMG]