Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

I used to collect stamps... now I collect WoW gold

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Decatur Dave, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Decatur Dave

Decatur Dave
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I like to lift something heavy. Then go back and lift something heavier the next day. Weight lifting being my main hobby, I supplement it with my second hobby, cooking dead animal meat.

Golf is something I'm gonna take a crack at once single again. Heard you can find some nice female ass at a country club.

2. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I collect pure samples of the elements. It is a lot more challenging than you think, as some you can't get pure, or are very difficult/expensive to obtain, and the challenge in hunting them down is half of the fun as some of them you have to work for, like Thorium from lantern mantles, or Mercury as it is tough to come by these days, but I have a decent sized vial of it after breaking open several dozen thermometers from thrift stores.
    The most I spent was on a chunk of Depleted Uranium. Thankfully pure gold is easy to come by in my family.

3. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Working out is a hobby? I've been lifting for a while. I don't do a lick of cardio or diet right so I still have a nice beer gut. It's cool though I just wear cut offs to show of muh' GunZ.

I started growing spicy peppers this year. My old roommate gave me a couple of hot chilis his family had grown and I started the seeds up. After some research I decided, like all beginners do, to say fuck it and go for the hottest chilis on earth. I bought 45 Bhut Jolokia Seeds a few months back from New Mexico State which has a world class chili seed collection. I even joined a forum that specifically handles chili growing. Since I was new to it they suggested just trail and error since I'd be fucking up a lot. They were basically right and I only got 13 or so seeds to sprout. After using some shitty materials to grow them I only have four or five that might make it to maturity. Next summer should be better if I try the Bhuts again. My other chilis are going strong though and I should have a decent amount by the fall. Its just an easy hobby that will result in some fiery spices when Im done.

4. DrunkBilliken

DrunkBilliken
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Cooking.

I don't see it as a chore, and actually find it quite relaxing. There's nothing like the immediate gratification of enjoying a meal you just prepared. Plus I like to eat.

5. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

- cooking (specifically, grilling)
    - fishing
    - running
    - writing
    - reading (mainly about behavioral psychology)
    - my job (it pays the bills, but it's also a hobby; I'd be doing it even if I wasn't getting paid... my bosses don't know that though).

I also consider drinking to be a hobby, given that while I do happen to get drunk in the process, I find the most enjoyment out of the experience of finding and tasting different beers/wines/brands of hard liquor. I try to do beer/wine tastings whenever possible, and I look at the resulting drunkenness as a burden rather than the goal.

I'm destined to be an alcoholic.

6. DanD

DanD
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

I've gotten really into running these last two years. There is something about going out, knowing how far the run is, and accomplishing that distance without stopping that gives me much enjoyment. I've done a couple of half and full marathons and I find nothing better than to PR on a timed course. In a way I'm also collecting finisher medals from these races.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, I'm working on collecting all the titles, emblems and accolades for COD:MW2.

7. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Crossword puzzles. I've literally been doing them for decades.

I used to play golf, but I've lost a good deal of range of motion in my wrist since I broke it last summer and just don't have the flexibility anymore. I went to the driving range after the last semester ended and realized it's time to put the clubs on Craig's List.

8. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

I collect locks of hair from men. I fashion them into little dolls and use them to decorate my shrine. What?

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

D.J.'ing. As far as being me goes, there's nothing NOT to enjoy about it, unless I'm actually working and get a gaggle of drunk chicks shrieking at me:

"Do you have that song by that guy that came out last year? You'd better play it next, because my friends and I are leaving and we reeeeeeally want to hear it!!"

10. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Can I get a WoW gold example to riff on? I used to be deep in that world. Fuckin dork (me).

11. Lasersailor

Lasersailor
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I windsurf. It's the source of 90% of my aggravation, and 90% of my joy. It's ironic that you speak of collecting WOW gold, because I'm considering starting up a Board Building business.

If I do it, it'll take every cent of my money, and time to start up. It may all go bust on the first board I make. And the entire business would be based on board by board, with failure at any step. But you always hear those stories about things people have passed up that would have made them millionaires.

If this upcoming job doesn't hold through, I believe I'll go for it. Maybe. Probably. Hopefully.

12. konatown

konatown
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Jew.

I'm a car guy. One of my hobbies is helping a local exotic dealer track down rare vehicles his clients are requesting. Absolutely love the hunt and gathering of intel. Then I also spend a lot of time driving with friends or out by myself. Just hop in, gas up and head for the windiest roads I can find.

13. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You would be amazed at the number of anti-Semitic jokes I have received from that post; you Heeb hating bastards.

But in reality, my family has actually done manual labor and mined that shit themselves, as we had ancestors stupid enough to go after the gold rushes and stake claims.

14. rbz90

rbz90
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Playing guitar is one of my hobbies. I enjoy sitting down and just writing music, or practicing a song for a couple of hours. My other hobby is combat sports. I box do BJJ and wrestle a bit, and I love all of them. You are placed against another opponent and you have to do your best to assert you dominance over them, but once you've finished the aggression ends there. It never ceases to surprise me how much mental effort something like that takes.

15. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sure, but now that they mined it, can I get a discount on the 24.999% interest?

Seriously, anyone with the WoW jokes? I haven't logged in in over a year, but I got an email that someone hacked my account and sold all my shit. If you know WoW, you know year-old shit ain't worth much, even if I was in a top tier guild. All my best shit was soul-bound. I guess they sold it to the scrap vendor and got what they could, while they could.

16. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have a lot of things I like to do:

Writing

Yardwork/ Gardening- Yeah I know to most people mowing the lawn and all that is work, but to me it's relaxing to buzz around on the mower with the iPod. I mow about 2 acres plus some walking paths through some of our woods.

Poultry/Farming - I get a lot of shit for this one from friends, but I like to raise various birds. Currently I have quail, ornamental pheasants, chickens and ducks. I also have a couple goats. I enjoy raising animals, I always have since I was a kid.

Music - I played out in bars and festivals for five years, and still keep a guitar out here by my desk. Also have a conga set, banjo, mandolin and some other stuff to fool around with, and am looking at buying a home recording set up soon.

17. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

18. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I like collecting signed books. Usually I go to readings so I can get them signed in person, but sometimes I have to settle for looking for "Signed copy" sticker at Barnes and Noble. I've got a pretty nice collection going, two books signed by Ted Kennedy, one signed by his dog Splash "I Have an Inappropriate Name" Kennedy, one from David Sedaris, three from Sarah Vowell, The Color Purple, and a bunch of other crap.

My favorite one is Florence of Arabia by Chris Buckley. When he asked for my name so he could personalize it, I said "Ebay." ...And now I have a book that says "To Ebay," sitting on a shelf.

I collect a few other signed things too, and have a bottle of Crystal Head vodka signed by Dan Aykroyd.

19. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I went through a phase where I took on a series of arts and crafts projects. I made clothes pin dolls, friendship bracelets, painted garden rocks, decorated notebook covers, and concept art posters. It started out as just something to do when I was bored, but I eventually made a fair amount of money selling this stuff at craft fairs and flea markets. At 12, it was awesome to make $20 in one weekend.

20. PenetrationStation

PenetrationStation
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Freestyling.

I took this up as a means of therapy. I tend to become irrationally angry and tense when I'm caught in traffic. Putting on some popular instrumentals and rapping over them is a great way to relax in stop and go traffic. Plus the stares are hilarious; people seem very threatened by a large white man crushing the flow.

Also great for parties because alcohol and weed loosen up the linguistic constraints to which we become accustomed.