Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

I miss that back when it was good.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kampf Trinker, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Are you shitting me? With the exception of MASH all those shows you listed are dog shit. We are living in the age of peak TV, there is so much quality programming on right now it isn’t funny.

2. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Married with children is still relevant.

3. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not at all. With the previously mentioned exception of "This Is Us" I really can't think of any shows on regular tv that I HAVE to see.

HBO, Hulu and especially Netflix, those are a different story.

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

And will always be. Still one of the funniest shows ever.

5. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I swear if Modern Family doesn't end with Peggy, Kelly and Bud knocking on "Jay's" door decades after he ran out on them...

6. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe but they'll fuck it up. Peggy will be transgendered, Bud will be gay and who knows what "modern" twist they'd give Kelly.

7. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Probably a cut throat whip smart lawyer battling the patriarchy while still breast feeding two in vitro babies after having a double mastectomy.

8. TJMax

TJMax
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Yep, Net's joke went right over my head. Wasn't sure if you were referring to the movie, which was a compressed version of season two. But yeah, Whedon publically swore never to do anything with Fox again after they ruined Firefly, but it didn't take him long to change his mind and do Dollhouse for them. That on the other hand was a show that I'm glad went only two seasons. It seemed like they compressed what would have been season three into the final episode, and it was a fairly bizarre direction. The young girl playing Echo in that episode was a fucking phenomenal actress, but other than that... Yeah, I'm glad it ended there.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

One thing that I have noticed that is a great difference between the BBC and North American TV, is the former's complete acceptance of doing just the number of episodes to tell the story.

They have a large number of shows that went 3-6 episodes, and that was it... story told, wrap it up, on to the next thing.

It seems like every show in Hollywood just keeps going and going and going in order to hit syndication, and they just don't know when to stop.

A bit off topic, but I just watched what I was surprised to find out was the show-ending episode of, well, Episodes (the really funny Matt LeBlanc plays a version of himself show based on the BBC show), and it was awesome. They had a story, they told it in 5(?) seasons, and then they were done... no trying to wring out the last few drops of life... just... done.

I think a lot of studios can learn from that.