Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by apex22, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How bad was the movie that you watched it 3 times? I rarely make it through a single viewing if it's as bad as you've described.

The movie bombed at theaters, do you think anyone would put extra money into DVD extras?

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Im not sure about the economics behind adding extra content to dvds. But they did have TONS of content from the blogs that could have made the extras worthwhile. One movie that comes to mind is Waiting which had a similar "making of" clip (it wasnt a documentary just some video shot through out the process strung together).

3. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

From what I remember, Tucker had little control over DVD distribution, and I doubt those in charge would load up a dvd that failed in theaters.

4. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Yeah, but they had all those videos from the premiere tour that were already shot/edited/etc.--how much more effort could it possibly have been to throw those on the DVD, for instance??

I mean, they have a whole YouTube channel with dozens of videos all ready to go. Why not just throw all this shit on the DVD???

5. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If I remember correctly, he has basically answered this, and the answer was, "None."

6. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I finally rented and watched IHTSBIH.

I can't say I thought that the sound and lighting were issues at all. I had previously criticized some of the dialogue shown in the trailers, but, seen in context, I rescind my negative criticism.

In regard to the magic Johnson joke - it didn't make any sense, and wasn't even remotely funny. As for the rest of it, it wasn't a new paradigm of film making, as Tucker led us to believe, but it wasn't horrible, either. I found it to be mildly amusing at best, and I think that sort of apathy is what doomed it in the end.

7. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

New post about the music in the movie

Also, they provide a link to where you can download Paul Wall's song for free (I won't, but you can).

Also, this is VERY telling, and hopefully a jolt of good news to this thread:

8. AKSB

AKSB
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Yeah, except for the fact that the DVD is ranked #487 on Amazon's DVD list. You can see the 100 top selling DVD's of 2009 here. We'll take Wanted as an example, which was the number 98 selling movie of 2009, selling about 900,000 copies and making 13 mil in revenue (not profit).

So let's do a little math.

Assuming IHTSBIH is within the top 500 selling DVDs of 2010 -- which is EXTREMELY generous -- I'm guessing, by looking at the numbers, it will sell about 300,000 copies (which is, again, on the high side), which puts the revenue at about 4.3 mil. According to this article, the profit would be a little more than half that. Which means that the profits from the IHTSBIH DVD's will be about 2.5 mil.

So, let's sum it all up. The movie cost something like 15 mil to make and market and had a total box office of 1.5 mil. If he's lucky, Tucker will profit about 2.5 million off DVD's, which means he's still in the hole more than 10 million dollars.

So yeah, there's not going to be a sequel.

9. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Slow down, let's not derail this thread with analysis and hypothesis based off empirical evidence. I think I speak for everyone I say let's keep all hypothesis to wild speculation building off the remarks from the creator.

note: I actually hope the dvd does well

10. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This song was in the movie and I loved it. Buck Cherry, though? Not so much.

#330 Supertramp, Feb 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  11. El Tee

El Tee
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

True, but DVD sales are far from the biggest reason we'll probably never see another Tucker Max movie.

12. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The biggest reason being...?

And don't say because of the content, not as long as Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer are still getting work.

More on topic, has anyone seen the deleted scene with Kristie's mom at the wedding's bar? Clearly it was cut for length, but it was my favorite deleted scene. Really funny stuff.

13. El Tee

El Tee
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Participation.

14. realness

realness
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Biggest reason being that the movie sucked donkey balls. It had ALL to do with the content.

Tucker's plan:
    1. Create an amazing movie
    2. Go on pre-release tour ie. Market it to the hardcore fanbase to get word of mouth out.
    3. Premiere the movie in limited distribution and make BANK during the first week.
    4. Release wide after 1st or second week based on the sales numbers
    5. Buy a jet and obtain FU money.

Except, Tucker's plan never materialized because he failed on part 1: create an amazing movie. In fact, he did the opposite.

15. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As realness is saying, IT IS BECAUSE OF THE CONTENT! I don't have any Tucker fan friends in real life, so I brought one along to a premiere and he thought it sucked. The movie is so horribly flawed I almost felt bad for him. I tried to highlight some positives (although I was still more harsh) in my first review, but honestly, they're few and far between. He tried to dim the lighting to make the movie more real. Tucker, what the fuck were you thinking? It doesn't work in the medium.

Tucker doesn't understand how to write fiction, and he probably never will. His creative non-fiction stories work great, but he doesn't have enough imagination to mold those stories together or create interesting scenarios. He's full of wit, but devoid of empathy. Let's think about the dialogue. Did you really believe these were real people? The script tries too hard to remind us that they're smart. Yes, it does. It's not that real people are unable to speak like that, it's that the tone is a blend of disorienting formality with guys 'just hanging out'.

He tries to get a big payoff at the end. At the Minneapolis premiere he said this was to "to make it more mainstream and draw a larger audience." The conflict between Dan and Kristy is minimal at best. She's upset, forgives him, they get married. We don't have much else there. Seriously. Every scene between Dan and Kristy in the second half of the movie is completely lacking in tension. So now we have poor Tucker who feels bad about it. Does he have an epiphany? No. Does he change at all as a result of the plot? I didn't buy it. You want humor, you want to capture the care free spirit of the character, but if you want that scene to work you do need drama. It's something good comedies can pull off.

The problems with the humor is less tangible because it's subjective by nature, but really, how can anyone laugh at a line like, "Fat girls aren't real people." The movie's full of insults just for the sake of being insults. The scene with the bartender has a situational element to it, but it's still the same problem. What's funny about a guy getting jealous because he can't get layed? It just looks like the script is trying to tell you that Tucker's awesome. Other parts are long winded (cough Drew) or too irritable to laugh at. Overall, when combined with the issues of above the movie's just to awkward to be funny.

While you people complain endlessly about shitty movies you have to keep in mind most of them aren't made for your demographic. Sometimes movies can be bad, and still succeed because they have large marketing budgets or big name actors. This movie couldn't so it had to be good. Just look at the imdb rating, with all the fans giving it 10s (and I know many of you did) it still has a dismal rating of 4.8.

16. Mash

Mash
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I just watched the movie last night off of Charter On Demand. I am not a fan of Tucker's writing or persona but enjoyed wasting time on the messageboard and was curious to see the end product. Overall, I thought the movie was not very good but there were a few parts where I actually laughed out loud. Drew and Lara's interaction at the strip club was pretty funny but most of the movie seemed to move slow with stale inside jokes from the old messageboard. I would not recommend this to a friend but would watch again if it was on Skinemax at 2:00 a.m. with nothing else on.

17. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What ever Bro, your Type B personality just hasn't allowed you to grasp how real men handle real situations like this movie portrays. If it could then obviously you would have gotten the humor. In all seriousness I liked the bar scene with Dawes. I think you are right that he tried overly hard to explain how he was a smart guy with scenes like the first one with the professor and trying to explain why he wasnt a misogynist to the bachlorette party.

18. erk33

erk33
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

After FINALLY getting around to watching this movie, I found it almost entirely underwhelming. I'm fully aware it was intended for a nation-wide release, but the film doesn't have the look of one. Almost all character shots are medium close-ups, and though it has plenty moments of funny dialogue, many of the lines (especially Bradford's) seem too forced and rehearsed. It seems that Tucker and Nils were more exited to write a script and cram as many evil, snappy one-liners into it as possible., and the blurry "past" scenes weren't necessary at all. Also, the cinematographer should be shot. Most bar scenes made me think I was watching Suspiria (but the candy-colour look in THAT movie was intentional).

I won't condemn the film entirely, I had some laughs along the way. I think my biggest laugh came in the form of an inside joke, with Max himself playing the stuttering dweeb best man at the climactic wedding. I felt Geoff Stults as Dan gave a much more real, honest performance as the straight man than any other cast members, but Czuchry's eternal shit-eating-grin got on my nerves after a while and Bradford seemed completely miscast as the hopelessly miserable and downtrodden Drew (Slingblade).

In short the film is a misfire, but I've seen much much worse (remember Whipped?) A redux with a stronger budget and some script assistance would make this book soar, but I think they should have simply titled it The Austin Road Trip for those expecting more from IHTSBIH.

6/10

20. Muney

Muney
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Tried downloading it last week, but got a fake download. I then rented it last night and watched it. I dont think I laughed once. That being said, it wasnt funny but did have dome entertaining parts.

5-6/10 maybe? It wasnt as horrible as some people say, but it wasnt very good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.