Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

I heard they suck live.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kubla Kahn, May 19, 2017.

1. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Given this topic has sort of been covered before, but since Chris Cornell has been taken off my bucket list of people to see live. I think we can do it again.

Focus: Who's on your bucket list before they kick the bucket that you haven't already seen? Who did you pass up seeing only for them to die shortly thereafter?

Since I missed a solo Cornell show last year because I didn't want to be that guy without any friends willing to go with. I am just going to nut up and go see The Red Hot Chili Peppers tonight. Since I usually spring this shit on my friends last minute I never can get anyone to plop down for the inflated tickets on stubhub. Never seen them live and always wanted to. I also need to see Pearl Jam, another band Im huge into that Ive missed live thus far. Also like to see David Gilmour live, caught a Roger Water Wall Concert, which rocked, but Gilmour I hear kills it better live than Water's back up band.

Alt Focus:
    Biggest band or artist you got to see and are damn glad you got the chance before someone passed on? Biggest dissapointments?

Pantera and James "Godfather of Soul" Brown. I wasnt huge fans of either of them but I caught both at different festivals and both shows rocked. For being 70+ he put out high energy during his set.

2. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Alt. Focus: Prince. That dude was high or on some kind of drugs and it was amazing. I also got to see James Taylor, who's one of my favorites, and that's just a bucket list thing. Saw Garth Brooks a few months ago and the dude was stellar. Too bad his wife is fat as a fucking walrus. Those three are like my holy trinity of music though. I've seen some cool concerts on the back end of rodeos, Reba, Tim McGraw, Alan Jackson, Darius Rucker, Gary Allan, Brooks and Dunn, etc. but they didn't compare to Prince, Taylor, and Brooks.

I would love to see Kacey Musgraves, Maren Morris, Dixie Chicks as I mentioned in the drunk thread (again, pre-emptive fuck you), Zac Brown Band, Brett Young, Little Big Town and some others, but I'm not going out of my way just yet.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Alt focus:

upload_2017-5-19_15-19-31.png

The dude fucking rocked it big time.

4. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I saw Willie last year. He's getting up there so who knows how much he's going to be able to tour. Great show.

Also saw David Alan Coe last year and thankful I did as he looked and moved like death warmed over.

5. Czechvodkabaron

Czechvodkabaron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Focus
    I was born in 1985, so I never got a chance to see a lot of groups from the classic rock era, and practically none with their original lineups. As far as more recent groups that aren't together anymore, I actually never got to see my two favorite bands--The Fiery Furnaces (one of their albums is my avatar) and Rilo Kiley--while they were still together. I'm hoping that the Furnaces will eventually reunite (come on, your brother and sister!), but I know that Rilo Kiley never will. But I have at least gotten to see amazing solo performances from the lead singers of both bands, and they have both played some of their old band's material when I've seen them.

Alt Focus
    Eric Clapton. My dad took me to see him the night before my 21st birthday after he was given 2 free tickets, and I was as sick as a dog and didn't really want to go. But it's a good thing that I did. Speaking purely objectively, I still think that it's the best concert that I've ever been to. My dad went to a lot of great shows in his time, and he even said that it was the best one that he had ever seen. Derek Trucks played with him and Robert Cray opened for him and joined them on stage for a few songs, and they all just killed it.

Radiohead. I know that they're not "old," but I'll mention them because I saw them last minute back on April 1st, and I probably would never have seen them without a friend asking me to go. I've never been a fan despite the fact that people whose tastes I usually agree with seem to love them, but I'm very grateful that I went. Next to Clapton it was the best concert that I've ever been to. And I've given their music another look since the show, but I still just can't get into them aside from the couple of songs that I really like.

The Who
    . They have always been one of my favorite classic rock bands. I saw them during their 50th anniversary tour in April 2015, and it was actually a pretty good show. There was a lot of variation in how good Daltry sounded from song to song, but overall I was impressed.

Red Hot Chili Peppers. I saw them in the summer of 2003, when John Frusciante had rejoined the band. It was my 4th concert overall, but the first one that really blew me away. I saw them for a second time a few weeks ago, and while it was a solid show it didn't capture the magic of when I saw them with Frusciante.

Soundgarden. I've already mentioned this, but I saw Soundgarden back on May 3rd. Sure, it wasn't a very good show, but at least I got to see Cornell before tragedy struck.

Fleetwood Mac. Aside from shitty opening acts, they're the only artist other than Soundgarden who I've seen give a bad live performance that I couldn't blame on the acoustics of the venue. I saw them in December of 2014, so they were definitely past their prime, but I still thought that they were capable of better.

Biggest disappointment in terms of expectations vs. reality: Tool. I had always heard that that their live shows are as good as it gets. Granted, I've never been a huge Tool fan, aside from a few songs. But I had seen YouTube videos that seemed to back up the hype, so when they came here in January of last year I bought a ticket and went. But I left underwhelmed. They weren't bad; they were just...mediocre. I definitely want to give them another chance, and I really wish that I could see the show that they're doing with the Melvins next month in California.

Planned Shows
    I'm seeing Paul McCartney and Roger Waters in July--3 days apart at the same venue! It will be the first time that I have seen any Beatle or Pink Floyd member in concert, though I have seen (very good) cover bands of both. From what I hear McCartney's live shows were amazing up until a few years ago, but his voice is pretty much gone now. But I still can't pass up the opportunity.

Artists I Still Want to See

Tom Petty. I'm still kicking myself for not going to see him when he came to town a few weeks ago. Hopefully that won't turn out to be a lifelong regret.

The Rolling Stones
    . I'm actually not a very big Stones fan, but I would still like to see them.

6. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Focus: MONSTER MAGNET

Y'all may or may not know this, but I FUCKING LOVE STONER ROCK. (aka acid rock, desert rock, etc.)
    I missed Monster Magnet's whole set when they opened for Megadeth in 1998 (I recounted the tale in another thread), and it has bothered me to this day.
    The main problem is that they only tour in Europe these days. Fuck. Dave Wyndorf isn't getting any younger.

I passed on seeing Pantera TWICE before Dimebag got killed.
    ZZ Top is coming my way in a few days, but they're playing in a stadium. I'm not paying a primo price for stadium seating. Sorry.
    I know I'll probably regret this when one of those magnificent bastards dies, but that's the way the news goes.

Alt Focus: I saw Scott Weiland twice, once with STP in '09, and with Velvet Revolver in '05. Despite what I've heard about his performances, he fucking killed it for both shows.

For the alt-focus, can we count musical acts that are no longer together, even though the members are still alive?

Because I'm pretty glad that I got to see Burden Brothers play before Vaden Todd Lewis decided to reunite Toadies.

7. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Honestly, there really isn't one for me. Maybe the Rolling Stones or Tom Petty, but they're so old now it's really not that big of a deal. There's plenty of bands I would like to see, but most that have been big over the last couple decades just aren't 'must see' for me.

I guess if I had to choose a band that isn't quite ancient(but still kind of old) yet it would probably be the Red Hot Chili Peppers. One of the few groups that are still relevant that have consistently put out good music.

It's not that I don't like newerish bands. It's just that usually there's 2-3 songs I really like and then I couldn't give less of a shit about the rest of their music. I can't even remember the last time a band put out an album that I would eagerly listen to cover to cover. The closest would be Night Visions from Imagine Dragons.

8. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

I saw Willie at ACL a few years ago. I'd love to see him again. Springsteen was cool last fall...not really in my wheelhouse, but it was a concert I'll never forget.

I'd love to see The Rolling Stones and Radiohead. Wish I could have seen SRV when he was alive.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Saw Joe Cocker open for SRV back in the day... an amazing concert, to say the least.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I've been lucky enough to see a bunch of great and memorable concerts:

Ry Cooder and David Lindley
    B.B. King
    SRV (multiple times, solo and with Joe Cocker)
    Rush (many, many times)
    Van Halen (every tour, starting with the 1984 tour)
    Sammy Hagar in Cabo for New Years
    Kim Mitchel opening for Cheap Trick opening for Aerosmith (Permanent Vacation tour)
    David Bowie
    Pink Floyd
    Joe Satriani and Steve Vai (G3 tour)
    Ozzy (Bark at the moon thru No More Teers)
    Triump (many times)
    John Fogerty
    Talking Heads and The Police

11. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I went to that Tom Petty concert a few weeks ago here in Houston and he was excellent. I'm not totally into him as an artist but I appreciate how prolific his career has been and I think it's important to get to see someone like that. Also, Joe Walsh opened for him and that was badass.

I've seen Billy Joel twice and although he's not for everyone, I think he's an excellent song writer and performer.

I'm gonna get shit for this but I've seen Dave a Matthews band like 16 times. Not every show has been great but I enjoy it. I've been going to see him for a long time.

I saw Crosby, Stills, Nash and Yound about 10 years ago and that was amazing. Neil Young is still one of my favorites of all time.

A bucket list show for me would be an acoustic set of Neil by himself. But those are rare these days and tickets are always like $300 each.

I had tickets for Soundgarden next Thursday. Was looking forward to it for months now.

One of the best live shows I ever saw was Disturbed. I was 17 and they just had this presence on stage that was so powerful and the crowd was just completely enamored by them. I'd love to see them again while I'm in my 30's and see if I still like them.

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I am very very glad that I have seen Nine Inch Nails, John Fogerty, AC/DC, RageAgainst the Machine, Rob/White Zombie, Pearl Jam, Prince, Portishead, Tool, Red & Meth, Primus, and especially Blue Man Group live.

Sinatra was shitfaced but he sang well. And Don Rickles opened, so...

The Mars Volta sucks live. Holy shit what ungodly noise, they out-noised Wolfmother.

I saw Smashing Punpkins back in the mid-nineties and they sucked. Sounded like pure static being blasted through Mesa Boogie.

Har Mar Superstar sucks live. If I could hit that fat little hack with a construction boot, I would have. Who. The fuck. Made you famous.

Bob Dylan sucks. He suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. There is the textbook definition of "phoning it in". Greatest songwriter, dullest live performer.

#12 Crown Royal, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
  13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Please tell me you were at the Beach Boys show where Mellencamp opened for them and threw the drum kit into the audience in a tantrum.

14. Czechvodkabaron

Czechvodkabaron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I forgot: I saw Weiland perform with STP when they headlined a festival here in Atlanta back in 2000. From what I remember he was amazing live, but at 14 years old I wasn't capable of fully appreciating it.

Disturbed played on the secondary stage at that festival, but I didn't get to see their set. They probably would have been fun to see.

15. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Have none of y'all ever seen the Scorpions?

Best. Live Band. Ever.

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

YES.

With Dokken and Whitesnake right here in town. They were phenomenal, as crisp as a studio recording. They want every single audience member cheering and screaming.

In Metal the little guys always have the best vocal range. Klaus is a prime example.

17. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Dokken is a seriously underrated band. George Lynch was phenomenal and Don Dokken was a great vocalist. A huge dork, but a great singer.

18. drunkfish

drunkfish
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I've seen a bunch: Monkee's 20'th anniversary, Herman and the Hermits,BB King at least 20 times since I am born and raised in his hometown, Bon Jovi, Warrant, Trixter, Firehouse, Rolling Stones multiple times, Fleetwood Mac, Matchbox 20, Jimmy Buffett, Garth, Brantley Gilbert, etc..

Best: Stones, Buffett, Luke Combs, Cross Canadian Ragweed

Worst: Fleetwood Mac, Matchbox 20

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

One of the classic Singer vs. Lead Guitarist who battles the drive wedges in so many 70's and 80's bands. See also: Ronnie James Dio vs. Anybody.

And Dio was great live. Rainbow is my favourite Dio band (who I of course never saw) but I saw his solo act and Heaven & Hell (Black Sabbath) here in town. He's as corny and great as power metal gets.

And all of you should go see Lords Of Acid. Especially since they fired that Rock Of Love idiot as their lead singer.

20. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think you have this backwards. Roger Waters can't really sing any more. Paul McCartney is still amazing in every way. He plays for three hours. His band his amazing. His stages are amazing. The pyro during Live and Let Die is worth the admission alone. Seriously, watch it on YouTube and tell me it's not bad ass.

Roger's band also puts on a great show. But he doesn't handle much of the vocals anymore. And when he does it ain't pretty.