Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

I heard they suck live...Yeah that's why theyre the openers.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kubla Kahn, Apr 12, 2010.

1. snobes

snobes
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Alt Focus: Before the economy tanked, our station would have a seperate stage for new artists to play at our big festival. We'd toss a few grand new to a label in Nashville to send a band or artist up and open for our Main Stage artists.

Since I've been here they've been mostly one hit wonders like Lost Trailers, super nice guys.

But my first year we were playing a new guy I loved and I hated most county at the time. I got to see and meet Jason Aldean. Signed fans stuff for a least an hour. I think his cd came out that next week.

Focus: In '99 saw 3 Doors Down open for Creed. Lets just say I was young and foolish.

2. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I saw INXS open for Adam Ant.

3. Flagrant

Flagrant
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I went to a Modest Mouse concert in Philly two years ago. It was pretty obvious that they grabbed the only local talent they could find available to open for them because we were presented with some awesome gangster rap, which for those who have ever heard modest mouse will know fits perfectly with their style.

I present you with "Clipse." Here is one of their lyrical masterpieces:

#23 Flagrant, Apr 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Let me fix this for you:

#24 Crown Royal, Apr 14, 2010
  5. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Focus: Soak

They should have just changed their name to "Suck." Saw them open for Megadeth in 1998.
    What sucked most about that concert though was that the lineup was Soak-Monster Magnet-Megadeth.
    After Soak came on and tanked, the girls I went to the concert with knew some guys who could get us some beer (I was 16 at the time), so we went to the store with them, but I ended up missing ALL OF MONSTER MAGNET'S SET. I was so pissed; that was one of my life's all time disappointments, because it was their "Space Lord" tour, and they never seem to tour in the US anymore.

Alt-Focus: Shinedown

I saw them open for Velvet Revolver in 2005. This was right before they really took off. I wasn't expecting much, but I was pleasantly surprised.

6. Spacesatan

Spacesatan
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I always show up to concerts on time, so I've seen a veritable indie label's worth of shitty bands.

I thought Bad Acid Trip was really bad. Opened for System of a Down; I think the two bands used to play small venues together, so they were buds, but man those guys sucked. Really bland, forgettable, screaming, genre-less mess. Not cool enough to be rock, not heavy enough to be metal.

Another show, some doom metal band. Maybe Paradise Lost? Can't remember, but boring as shit.

I saw the Mars Volta open once before I was familiar with their music, and it was an aural disaster. Now, I think they're awesome and would probably enjoy a live show, but to the uninitiated, it was a drum solo paired with out of key guitar noodling, placed against the comforting backdrop of a constantly overblown saxophone and three dueling keyboard players.

Recently I saw Hammerfall play a small venue in Santa Ana, and there were five opening bands. Five. Five opening bands for a Swedish power metal band that drew a crowd of about 300. They all had passion, I'll give them that, but I hope none of them are hoping to make a career out of stale guitar solos, or rehashed Slayer riffs, or songs about killing emo kids, whatever the case may be.

7. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Tony Vega and the Amplifiers.

"Who?" you say? Exactly.

They opened for The Pretenders...for about 3 minutes.

8. Pink Candy

Pink Candy
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Focus - Sister Machine Gun opened for Type O Negative at the Stony Pony in '97. It was just...so bad.

Alt Focus - I've never been to a better concert than Ozzfest '99: System of a Down, Slayer, Fear Factory, Puya, Deftones, Slipknot, Static X, Rob Zombie, Black Sabbath...oh, it was glorious, even if it was 90 degrees with 95% humidity.

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It was the dream come true: Black Sabbath we reuniting with the original line-up, and they had Pantera and the Deftones opening up for them. I had seen Pantera before and they are as good as it gets live, and despite the fact I was raging to see Sabbath, I also thought Deftones were a smart, original "nu-metal" band, better than most (and probably the first).

Not live, they weren't. They were pure noise live, and all of their amazingly creepy album effects were rendered nill (for the opposite effect see Nine Inch Nails live). Instead it was simply screaming over shitty guitar tones. Deftones continue to make good albums (see: White Pony) and I saw them two other times at Ozzfest and they sucked again. Just not made to be a live band, at least not by my ears.

10. seelivemusic

seelivemusic
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Sting opening up for the Grateful Dead in the early 90's. The sound was terrible and it was great to watch all the fans grunt in disgust when they figured out who it was.

11. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The same is true for Mars Volta. I saw them open for A Perfect Circle and it was just the lead singer stumbling around stage letting the guitarist and drummer alternate terrible solos while mumbling into the microphone. They got booed off stage and even APC apologized for their performance.

Apparently a lot of people like Mars Volta, but they were completely terrible as an opener.

12. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Are you seriously implying that the Clipse is bad? Or is this the alt focus?

FOCUS: Last year our program board at my college got T-Pain to give us a concert near the end of the year. Why T-Pain? Beats me. Half the concert was just hooks. Anyway, his opening act was - I shit you not - a bunch of black people in voodoo masks, alternately krumping and running around stage while some random shit beats played. They stayed on as his backup dancers.

#32 RCGT, Apr 15, 2010
  13. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The previous year (I go to the same undergrad as RCGT), they had enlisted Common. His opening act was DJ Clue. So far, not so bad. The kicker, though? During approximately half the performance, he was texting on his phone.

14. Sponge

Sponge
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Someone sent me this link this morning. Never had the 'pleasure' of seeing Creed perform live myself, but from what I hear this is a pretty accurate recreation.

Possibly NSFW due to moderately unintelligible cursing.

#34 Sponge, Apr 15, 2010
  15. Creelmania

Creelmania
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

My brother's friend saw them right after they had released Hot Fuss, before they blew up. He went only because the tickets cost $20 and he had nothing better to do that night. It was so bad that he got his brother to punch him in the face so that something memorable would happen during the concert (and possibly to distract himself from the pain too). A few months later after they hit it big, they came back and played the exact same venue, only tickets cost over $60 this time.

Focus:

Ditto on the Mars Volta here. I've listened to their CDs and have found them actually pretty good, but live opening for RHCP, it sounded like a Vince Neil knock off backed by a bunch of noise. I know GM Place doesn't have the best acoustics, but the Chilis sounded amazing right after them. Not sure who fucked up the sound set-up for them on that tour.

16. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I forgot I saw Kanye for free freshman year. UC holds a free spring concert every year. I think they might have had him booked before his first hit album came out, the concert being a few months after it was released. But by the time he played he was still on the fast track to stardom. Since he was so big everyone on campus showed, there must have been 30 thousand people there. From that angle it was fun, partying with everyone on campus, but the concert sounded like shit. They had a terrible DJ with him and he was playing the music off of a Mac. To be honest the only live rap act that I thought was ever good was Jay Z, most of everyone else Ive seen sounded as dull and off beat as Kanye was. The university then booked Jurassic 5 for a few consecutive years and I lost interest in going, I think The Roots have been the biggest act since Kanye.

17. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

A while ago I was seeing The Who on tour. The Who is so big that their opening bands are huge bands. In this case, Counting Crows was opening for The Who. So we get there early and we are sitting there going "how awesome is this going to be" when a guy who is decidedly not Adam Duritz comes out with a band and plays a terrible, terrible song.

He then stammers something about this being the awesomest thing ever and how they can't believe they are there, and oh by the way they are JOSH FIX AND THE FURIOUS FORCE.

They then played a few more terrible songs. One I recall in particular, just because of the title, was "Whiskey and Speed." That's a song that just screams I AM EDGY BECAUSE I HATE MY INTERNAL ORGANS!

After about five terrible songs, Mr. Fix announces that Adam Duritz is sick and that Counting Crows will not be performing.

I was reading a message board populated by concert attendees the next day, and everybody was pretty unanimous in their hate for Josh Fix et. al. Apparently they were supposed to play the side stage outside the concert venue, but when the Counting Crows couldn't play they got bumped to the opening act. Another attendee posted one of the funniest things I've ever read about a concert. This guy and his wife were sitting in the audience. Between songs, Josh Fix and his drummer had a little side conversation about something. The guy's wife leans over to him and says "look, honey, they're writing another song!"

18. LukesBoxHero

LukesBoxHero
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Opposite-focus: The Rocket Summer opened up for the Goo Goo Dolls this weekend at my springfest. I worked the concert and, not surprisingly, most of us felt that the opening act was better than the main event. The Dolls promoted their new CD (coming out this summer, apparently) at least three times from what I can remember - classy.