Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

I eat cow shit and I've never had a cold

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hoju, Apr 10, 2011.

1. hoju

hoju
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Over the past few weeks I've been hanging out with this weird old hippy. He really looks like a skinny Jerry Garcia. Aside from his strangeness, he has been telling us of these "remedies" he knows of. He is a mountain man and these things have been passed down from generations.

Remedy One: If you eat a tablespoon of local honey a day, your body will build up a tolerance to pollen, therefore you won't have seasonal allergies. Its has to be local honey because of the local pollen. I don't know if its scientific, but it makes sense.

Remedy Two: Apparently this is a Black thing. If you are feeling sick, cut up an onion and put it in your sock. Wear the sock, onion inside, and it will absorb all of the toxins out of your body. You can also put an onion on your chest, but I'm not sure when. Hell, I'm not sure about any of this remedy, but its what I was told.

Focus:Old Wives' Tales.

I think we've done this before but here's a little twist: What are some absurd remedies you've heard of and/or believe in? Has your Haitian grandmother cut off a chicken's head and fed you the blood to cure your hiccups?

2. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

I know we basically did this thread a couple months ago, but my hands are tied...

Attached Files:

3. LessTalk MoreStab

LessTalk MoreStab
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

200g of cherrys a day will cure gout.

You can burn you own warts off with a red hot stick if you dont mind the pain. And smell.

You cat cut out your own ingrown toenails if you don't mind the pain. And blood.

Tested the last two on hamster me.

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

You can cure a sore throat by drinking Drano.

Source: Science.

5. Muley05

Muley05
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I posted this in the similar thread from a few months ago, but it works so well that I thought I would post it again.

The best cure I have found for hiccups is to eat a spoonful of peanut butter. It has worked every single time I have tried it.

6. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've heard the same about eating local honey. Allergies haven't bothered me since moving to TX, but I also use local honey (because the Orthodox Romanian church sells it cheap), so there may be some correlation.

Cherries and gout: doesn't "cure" it, but it can shorten the time of a flare up and put it in remission. Does something to prevent the uric acid from crystallizing. I started drinking 100% black cherry juice each morning after a gout attack (which is quite painful) and haven't been bothered by it since.

"Feed a cold, starve a fever." Meh. Drink plenty of liquids and get plenty of rest.

7. seelivemusic

seelivemusic
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

A sure way to stop gout is to stop drinking to excess on a daily basis. Worked for me, I have not had gout in over two years now. It is by far the most painful non operable malady I have ever encountered. A bed sheet lying on my goutie big toe would wake me up at nite.

8. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Edit:

What the fuck? Two people on this board have had gout? Are you posting from the middle ages? Are you jousters?

The honey thing is bullshit, and even if it worked it would suck for people like me. I am allergic to redwood trees. I went to college in the middle of a redwood forest. You don't hear about redwood honey.

Focus:
    My mother in law is convinced that if you don't have a chaser with a shot you will get throat cancer. So she chases her shots with beer.

9. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

This remedy reminds me of a practice from my wife and her side of the family.....they put minced garlic in their socks before going to bed if they feel unwell. My wife refined it by adding a second pair of socks to cut down on the leaking...she uses a fair bit of garlic, coating the whole bottom of her foot. It still smells, but whatever, here is the point...garlic is a healer, like goldenrod. It is a bit of a natural antibiotic. She swears by it, and it does seem to help her. I still prefer my garlic on pasta, but each to their own.

10. Angel_1756

Angel_1756
    Expand Collapse
    The Big Four-Oh

My eldest aunt (Chinese-side) tends to shun Western medicine in favour of her homemade "potions", which tend to be concocted in her basement from herbs she buys on the internet. When my mother busted a rib, Aunt K showed up with a poultice which included red wine, crushed aspirin, sage, "horsetail herb" and nettles. It STUNK and gave my mom a serious rash, but apparently sped up the healing time on the rib. So who knows - maybe my aunt is a witch.

11. Primer

Primer
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I caught swine flu a little over two years ago and have yet to have the flu again.

Source: My science body.

12. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Any time I feel bad, for whatever reason, I eat some ibuprofen. If the pain/nastiest exists in my head somewhere, I also eat some sine off.

Source: my mom

(This actually works because those OTC meds work to reduce inflammation, and that's the source of a lot of everyday pain in your body)

13. palmettosc

palmettosc
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

A little wet cigarette tobacco will take the sting out of a wasp/bee sting pretty much instantaneous. My grandma lived on a lake and whenever one of those bastards got me, she'd just hollow the end of a cig out then tape the wet tobacco to the sting. Worked like a charm. I also smoke now, but I'm sure that's not related.

14. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My go to remedy for pretty much anything is a night of good, heavy drinking.

15. WASPnest

WASPnest
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

As a former employer of mine demonstrated, if your baby gets an ear infection you can drip tea tree oil into its ear three times a day. This doesn't do anything, but after your baby has been in screaming pain for three weeks, you can take them to the hospital and get yelled at by real doctors.

I once saw someone having "cupping" done. That's when you heat up small glass jars and place them on vital (read: aesthetically pleasing) places on the patient's bare back. As the jars cool, the pressure inside them drops and they suck to the back. If you already guessed that this has something to do with "the toxins", congratulations. You are now a licensed practitioner of alternative medicine.

"High doses of Vitamin C don't help the immune system during illness. There's no theoretical mechanism by which it would, and there's no empirical evidence that it does." - my immunology prof. I used to believe it did, so I'm happy to save some money.

My roommate throws salt over her shoulder for luck. It gets everywhere.

16. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Putting wadded-up spider webs on cuts and scrapes stops bleeding and prevents infections. This creeped me out the first time my grandmother did it, but it works.

17. seelivemusic

seelivemusic
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

For those who asked I was 35 when I first suffered from gout in my big toe. I was drinking about fifth of vodka a day and had been for a few years. Apparently this is very common in alcoholics who don't exercise and are overweight. Not sure why the uric acid builds up so much but it hurts like a motherfucker.

18. LessTalk MoreStab

LessTalk MoreStab
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

1 person, I just suggested the cure. had a nasty wart on my left hand about 5 years back, murdered the shit out of it with aforementioned burning stick, and have dug out and snipped an ingrown toenail, no goutyness for me though.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.naturalnews.com/026091_cherries_gout_NaturalNews.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.naturalnews.com/026091_cherr ... lNews.html</a>

19. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Anyone had any experience with ear candling? Ive been wondering how it works if at all.

20. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

And by "ear candling" you do mean "dick in her ear" don't you?..... Yeah, doesn't work

Superglue on a cut that needs stitches. If it worked in Vietnam,it will work for you.