Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

I don't know, I'll probably just call it the Idiot Board

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dmix3, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Cadders

Cadders
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Spanish.
    I started my degree two years ago doing English Literature with Creative Writing, with a vague plan of either doing a post-grad law diploma or something. However, I still needed to sign up for some extra modules/clases to have the required number of units for the year. So, on a whim, simply because I remembered enjoying studying it in secondary school, I signed up for Spanish as my third subject, assuming that it'd be a bit of fun, and that i'd drop the course after my first year when I no longer needed the extra units. Didn't really think much of it at the time.

Turned out that I hated English lit and that it was a useless degree. I was falling asleep in lectures, listening to post-menopausal women rant on about the sexist undertones to traditional fairy tales. If you want to change your degree, under normal circumstances in the UK system, you would have to drop out of university and restart completely (this costs a hell of a lot) However, because of those Spanish classes, I had an escape and could change my degree to full time Spanish.

And because of that spur of the moment decision to take those Spanish classes, voila. Here I am. I'm typing this from Argentina. I'm living with an Argentine family for a year and teaching English to Argentinean miners as well as in two different primary schools.

Not only is my Spanish well on the way to fluency now, but i've been able to travel all over Argentina and do all sorts of crazy stuff that I wouldn't have been able to do otherwise - from mountain climbing and horse trekking on a ranch to snorkelling with sealions in the atlantic and ice trekking on Perito Moreno Glaciar. On top of that, I have three months in the Argentine summer holidays to travel through Peru, Bolivia and maybe Columbia and Brazil.

And all of this is part of my degree. Win win situation. Its funny though, how such a small decision can alter the path of your life so drastically.