Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

I can Yo-Yo....Really!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Flagrant, May 14, 2010.

1. Flagrant

Flagrant
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Earlier today I came across an article about a man from Wisconsin who goes by the name of Kenny Strasser. He is claiming to be a yo-yo champion and getting on local television stations. He apparently has gotten on over six different stations so far, without ever having performed a trick prior to going on air. This guy has absolutely no skills, and has made a fool of every T.V. station he has gone on. He seems relatively sane and just seems to be having a laugh at the expense of the newscasters.

The article can be found here:
    http://deadspin.com/5535220/fake-yo yo-trickster-fools-every-tv-station-everywhere

Focus: What have you done just to get attention from complete strangers?

Alt. Focus: Discuss the video.

Alt. Alt. Focus: Did you ever get into the yoyo craze a decade back?

#1 Flagrant, May 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  2. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fuck yes I got into the yo-yo craze. In high school it became super popular again when the Fireball brand came out with competition style yo-yo's... still have a couple around here somewhere.

I heard about this guy a couple weeks ago when a radio station was playing his "interviews" on the air. I find it hilarious that these shit morning shows have to fill time so badly that they're falling for this guy. None of the info besides the email address and maybe his phone number is real yet these "news" outlets do zero fact checking and let him on the air.

I really hope this is part of some large gag. I love Kaufman-esq meta pranks.

3. Lasersailor

Lasersailor
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I was my area's local Yo-yo Champion. During my prime I could do two yo-yo's at once.

It all started when I was a trucker traveling the nation, and my wife died. She left my son with me, however the kid barely knew me and thought very poorly of me. So to gain his trust and liking, I entered a Las Vegas Yo-Yo tournament, worked very hard, and eventually won it. The boy enjoyed this very much, and we became like father and son.

4. redbullgreygoose

redbullgreygoose
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I heard about this guy last week. If I were to guess I'd say he's probably promoting some kind of comedy tour or mockumentary or something. The videos are funny though. In one of them he claims he forgot his string for his yo-yo and uses the time slot to talk to kids about the dangers of drug and alcohol addiction before they cut back to the anchors. I'll try to find it.

5. Decatur Dave

Decatur Dave
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Zim ZAM! He's a feather in the cap away from wearing lederhosen.

FOCUS:
    I've got a buddy that the air force sends around the world to work on some piece of equipment him and only a few other people are certified to. This has allowed him to soak in cultures from around the world. While stationed in England he was at the bar/pub and told the only way to gain the locals respect was to snort a shot of tequila, squirt the lime in his eye and eat a spoonful of salt. He pulled it off, brought it back with him and had the great idea it'd attract female attention over here state-side at a crowded bar. It didn't work. I managed to pull the shot off in two pulls, the smooth operator he is made it look easy, and my other buddy puked.

6. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was into the yo-yo craze when it hit our middle school. I was an old school kid and preferred only the original Duncan Yo-Yo. A lot of young punks went with the "brain" yo yo that had some sort of spring mechanism that aloud it to be retracted faster. BORING.

7. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Before I got a chance to see the video, I immediately thought of the Recess episode about yo-yos.

I hope this guy is doing some kind of mockumentery. I want to see the published results.

#7 bewildered, May 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I knew two things as a kid: Pogo Balls and Lawn Darts. You can be killed by both (because they are comically unsafe) and I'll whip yer ass at both.

I used to perform the "Wall Knockout" technique to get girls' attention when I was a kid at school. Basically, your friends prop you against the wall and lean on your airway until you pass out. While out, you usually twitch like you're having an REM nightmare. When you are in college, kids do it but take a huge-ass bong hit at the same time to knock them out easier, known as a "Wall Toke" in these parts.