Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

How'd you get that 'do?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Frank, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Poopourri

Poopourri
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Yeah, because shampooing your hair is totally gay. Good one, Pimples.

2. hotwheelz

hotwheelz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I usually rock the buzzcut, but I decided to go with the mohawk.

What's that? Why yes, I do look fly.

3. cdite

cdite
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I get mine cut military high and tight every 2 weeks, and because I have no desire to shave my head that seems to be the laziest way to take care of it. Growing it out seems to be much more of a hassle.

4. Moose

Moose
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Somehow, in all my vanity, I fail to have a picture of my hair at its finest.

Until I graduated high school, it was a buzz cut once a month or so. Then I went away to college and felt that haircut money was better spent on booze. I'd get a cut when I came home on winter and summer breaks.

Now, I haven't had a haircut in roughly 2 years. I've decided at some point that I will donate it to locks of love, but for now, it has grown on me. My hair is dark brown, very thick, and curly. If I let it air dry (which I always do) i get these great springy ~1 inch diameter curls. Women LOVE to play with it. I usually part it straight down the middle. When its barely wet or recently dry, people tell me it looks like Weird Al's hair. It gets a bit frizzy after a few hours if I don't use some sort of product, then i put it up in a pony and/or bandanna. When I'm at work (in a kitchen) it's in a ponytail and under a bandanna.

You can see a little of what I'm talking about in this picture. This was a couple hours after getting out of the shower.

Attached Files:

5. AlmostGaunt

AlmostGaunt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

6. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Now are you saying you buzz it yourself every 10 days? Because I can understand that. I'm thinking of a guy I knew who went to a SALON twice a month, and he wasn't going to get it buzzed or anything, he wanted to keep his perfect, gelled helmet hair with the flip up at the end. Coincidentally he's from New Jersey.

For those of you that go to salons, do you go to ones that serve booze? If so, do they charge you per drink? I'm thinking of switching from barber shop to salon because around here I can't seem to find a barber shop that will give me a decent haircut for less than $20. Throw in some booze and I'll even get a manicure.

7. StayFrosty

StayFrosty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Whoa, wait. Maybe it's just because Ohio is a complete shithole, but this is a completely foreign concept to me, I have never heard of a salon that offers alcohol. Is this only in NJ, or is it fairly widespread?

8. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

I used to do the combed hair to the side and part on the right kind of thing as a kid, but when I realized I wanted to start getting laid, things changed pretty quick. I'd get it cut a little longer than finger length and let it land how it wanted, but if I was anywhere where I had to look "professional" I'd toss some gel in and spike the front.

Then I got married, stopped giving a shit, and buzzed it all off because it's easier. Surprisingly, she likes it better this way. Also having thick hair lends itself to getting hot as fuck in the summer.

9. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Up until about 15 I rocked the Screech Powers look:

[​IMG]

Then I started shaving my head until about 19. But when it grew back it wasn't curly anymore. It grows fairly normally and I get it cut about every six weeks or so. The doo I'm going for now is "The Bradley Cooper":

[​IMG]

Hes so dreamy.

10. BadBrains

BadBrains
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

There is shit in our area. There used to be a barber on Main St next to the Bidwell, but I think the guy died or something. But I would kill to find a barber that still uses warm shaving cream and a straight razor for the neck and edges, cause that is the most relaxing fucking thing on earth.

FOCUS: In high school, I had long hair to my shoulders. It looked ridiculous, but I was lazy and would rather have spent money on weed and gas. The military completely fucked me up, though. We were required to have a fresh haircut every monday morning, and after 5 years it kind of ingrained itself into my grooming standards. I'm not that bad now, but I'll still get it cut every payday, which is twice a month.

As for the Do', it's a standard buzz/fade - 3 on top faded to 1 on the sides. Any longer than that and I start feeling like an unkempt hippy.

11. silway

silway
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I started growing my hair out probably when I was 9 or 10 and let it get long into my 20s. I had thick lustrous auburn hair that got a lot of compliments. One day I just hacked it off and had shoulder length hair for awhile before a friend of mine recommended a shorter haircut. Nowadays I own a pair of clippers and my wife trims my hair for me down to a 1 or 2 every 6-8 weeks or so. Saves me a ton of money over time.

It's strange, I used to have this really long hair and now I feel shaggy if it grows half an inch.

12. thabucmaster

thabucmaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I go to a salon every four weeks. The place I go to is specifically for men, and have legitimately hot women cutting hair. It's a little on the expensive side at $40 for a cut, but I'll be damned if they don't do an awesome job every time. I've had the same person cutting my hair since I moved to NY, and couldn't be happier with what they do each time. Part of the problem for me is that I have stupid cowlicks that need to be cut in a specific way, otherwise my hair pops up like Alfalfa from The Little Rascals. So I rationalize the cost by the fact that I won't look retarded after my hair is cut.

Not only that, but they give an awesome scalp and back massage with each cut, a hot towel on the face when they're washing your hair, and they serve beer there for free. Why yes, I will take one!

Style wise, I go for the slightly messy, just out of bed look. I have to use forming cream for that, since my hair is as straight as an arrow, and always goes to the same place unless I use something in my hair.

13. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wait, you can get a salon cut, massage and beer for $40? IN NEW YORK? Jesus jumped up christ.

This is what kills me, when I was in Newton, MA there was a barber shop that did that for $14 and was about a block from where I lived. Now I have to pay $20+ for a half ass job in bum fuck CT.

14. LatinGroove

LatinGroove
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I always had this problem when I moved to a new city. I'd always find a a great hair cutting place and then move a few years later only to have to go through the same thing every time. How do people manage to fuck up an easy hair cut?

The guy I've been going to now cuts my hair for $12 no matter what the style.

For the record, in the past I was doing it spiky with gel, straight up 4/5in mohawk and now I'm rocking the #2 all the way around once every two weeks.

15. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Explain something to me. If your hair is twisted for 3 months at a time, I can't see how it gets washed thoroughly. How does that work?

I have a very full and thick head of hair and I go to a stylist every 3 weeks (she used to be my bartender--I think my tips paid her way through cosmetology school). I have a Wahl that I use on my beard weekly, and she does a more precise evening out of the beard edges. Hairstyle is "casually disheveled" when I just use my fingers, but if I brush it, it's a fairly conservative left to right part. I used to do the flat top, but I started to look more Bubba than I did leatherneck as I got older.

Nail salons here started giving beer to attract the metrosexual set for mani/pedis, and then a chain called Knockout started offering full men's salon services. Manicures I don't do, but I'll go for a pedicure each month just to get the callouses sanded down. And the foot massage. Them Nam girls know how to rub it. I don't know about other places, but here, the Vietnamese are to nail salons what Pakis are to 7-11s.

16. Nick

Nick
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I have tons of hair, but about 10 years ago, I buzzed mine completely off with a 1-guard. I kinda stuck, and was pretty maintenance free. Just buzz it down once a week. 1 minute tops.

About a year ago, my then fiancee pleaded with me to let it grow out just a bit for the wedding. I obliged and have kept a little bit of hair ever since, but still do it myself. 1/2" guard on top, 3/8" on the sides, and faded into my neck where necessary in the back. Takes about 3 minutes.

17. Dread

Dread
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

When I was in high school, my hair was kind of long and straight. I cut it all off after I graduated and it hasn't grown back the same since. If it gets longer than an inch, it starts to get wavy. I'd had enough of that a couple of years ago and dropped $20 on clippers. I now buzz it all off every 2 or 3 weeks.

18. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

$40 isn't bad. It usually winds up costing me between 80-120 + tip per visit. Also, I pretty much have to get to NYC whenever I want it done, so that adds some as well.

I should really learn how to do my own hair.

19. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I get my hair cut every two weeks. My best friend is a barber, works at a place that's a two minute walk away from where I live, and he never charges me. He's also really good, so if you CT guys want to try somewhere new, let me know. He still does the straight-razor shave with the warm shave cream and a hot towel, as well.

I get a very short fade. He uses guards all around, but they're probably just raised off of the blade. I'm never not going to have this haircut. It is the pinnacle of efficiency and comfort.

I also have both a receding hairline and thinning hair on the top, so as my hair grows out I get these bumps on the rear sides of my head where the hair grows in faster and it looks stupid. Two weeks is about as long as I can go to avoid this condition.

Here's what my hair looks like all the time (and part of my girlfriend's left boob).

Attached Files:

20. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

Just kidding. This is what I showed the hair cutter person last time I got mine cut.
    [​IMG]
    I'm yet to actually style it with any sort of product so it looks fluffy and doesn't stay on top. Looks kind of goofy.