Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

How many gallons of beer in a year?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by effinshenanigans, Feb 24, 2010.

1. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There are 128oz. in a gallon. Divide that by 12 (the standard 12oz. beer) and you get essentially 10.7 beers (rounded up) in a gallon.

I figure that I drink roughly 3 beers a night during the week, 8 beers Friday night, 9 on Saturday, 6 on Sunday (Note: the weekend numbers can vary greatly at times, but these are what I deem to be normal). That gives me 35 beers/week. Divided by 7, I drink an average of 5 beers per day.

Multiply that by 365, and I drink an average of 1,825 beers per year. Divided by 10.7, I drink roughly 171 gallons of beer per year.

By comparison, in my seinor year of college at my highest level of drinking tolerance, I was probably drinking 55 beers/week, an average of 7.8/day, or 2,847/year, which would translate to 266 gallons of beer in a year.

According to this map, people in my area drink at least 6 times less beer per year than I do. While I don't have a source, I remember watching a Modern Marvels episode that claimed the Czech people drink the most beer per capita in the world at 50 gallons per person.

Focus:
    What's your number? Also, do you agree or disagree with the map based on what you see in your area.

There must either be a ton of sober people, or a ton of people that drink things other than beer in CT, because 25 gallons or less of beer/year averages out to less than 1 beer/day.

*Edited to add: This obviously doesn't include holidays occurring during weekdays, or the added amount of larger beers drank at bars--which would obviously push my number higher.

2. kindalas

kindalas
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have a kergerator, a freezer that holds kegs and the Co2 fittings and taps, and I go through 10 kegs in a year.

Considering I give a lot away I probably drink between a half and a third of that to myself.

So as a low estimate I hit 45.8 Gallons of beer per year at a high its 69.4 gallons.

Maybe I have a problem.

3. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was just thinking about this. If beer doubled as a fuel source for my car (assuming that beer mpg=gas mpg), with 171 gallons of beer and my car, that averages 21mpg, I could drive 3,591 miles. Or, roughly a trip from New York City to Miami and back, then back to Miami.

In my college days I could drive 5,586 miles, or from New York City to LA and back with 700 miles to spare.

4. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I worked it out as such - 6.5 cases worth of empties (and 45 different kinds of beer) are sitting in my apartment, and have been collecting since September. Work it out, and it comes to about 30 gallons of beer per year. That might be a bit of an under-estimate because I have a fair number of large bottles (from 500 mL to a full gallon), but a few of the bottles were drank by my friends. Though that doesn't count what I've drank at bars or at other people's places.

The only part of the map that I have trouble believing is that more beer isn't drank in Alaska. Maybe they're all on to the hard liquor because it won't freeze in the cold. And I'm rather surprised at the low drinking rates in New York, New Jersey, and New England (notwithstanding New Hampshire).

5. Bourbondownthehouse

Bourbondownthehouse
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I find it odd that Alaska doesn't have a higher rate of consumption. I'm also saddened by the low rate of my beloved hoosier state. From previous discussion on this board it always appeared that people in the Midwest drank obscene amounts, mostly for lack of anything better to do. I realize the map isn't all that detailed, but I wonder if only residents are taken into account. Tourism drinking would obviously cause Nevada's rates to spike (Vegas baby whooooo), as well as other places where drinking is a huge tourist attraction like New Orleans. My dad said the last time he was in Louisiana he was at a bar and his friend wanted to leave. "Let me finish my drink" "Shit Bob just get a to-go cup." Is that awesome law still in effect?

6. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is the first thread I've ever been frightened to post in on either message board. I sincerely don't want to know what my number is.

For starters I drink 2-3 beers every day at lunch...

7. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm down to about 1 gallon every two weeks since I moved (a mile) off campus in September. Last year I drank probably 3 gallons a weekend over Thurs/Fri/Sat. Don't do any weekday drinking, so my total number wouldn't be that high.

8. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

At about 12 or so beers a week, with the occasional barbecue, camping trip or party that would increase my consumption, I'm only at about 60 gallons a year, or enough to fill two mid-sized fish tanks. This total has dropped significantly over the past 10 years or so, as my consumption profile has changed from about 80% beer and 20% wine to roughly 1/3 beer, 1/3 wine and 1/3 hard alcohol (mostly scotch, vodka and gin).

edit: Sweet Fancy Moses, I just looked at that map, and it appears that I'm on the high end, meaning that A) I drink more than twice as much beer as my average neighbor, and B) less than two beers a day qualifies as more than most other folks drink. What the fuck is wrong with people?

9. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ok, I knew I drank more than the average person, but that map really put the zap on me. I estimated myself drinking 175 gallons per year, or 5.1 beers per day. According to my state the average person drinks 0.8 beers per day. So, beer is 85% of all alcohol sales, and my beer consumption represents about 50%-60% of the alcohol I drink. So, apparently I'm an alcoholic... and there must a be more people than I thought that never get drunk.

10. konatown

konatown
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm surprised my state is in the light blue. Really surprised. But I'm working on changing that.

Drank a 12 pack Monday and Tuesday. Bought a 30 pack of Busch Light today after having a few Brou Czechs with lunch.

Weekday Drunk Thread?

11. Blue Dog

Blue Dog
    Expand Collapse
    Absentee Mod

In New Orleans- Yes.

In other places here- probably. Mostly yes. It only becomes an open container once you put a straw into the top.

But yeah, just put me down under "a bunch". I don't need to know that 90-99% of my disposable income is literally pissed away, even though I already kinda do.

12. flunkee

flunkee
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

According to the map, I live in the best state - Montana. Largest per capita consumption at 43.9 gallons.

Taking into account all the non-drinkers (I don't know any) that is a pretty respectable number.

I put my number at roughly 65 gallons a year. That is two trips to the brewery a week and 2 24oz mugs each visit, plus one 64oz growler for home. A little less if I buy from the store, but I think it all averages out.

13. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Does anyone know if this map is based off of total population, or population of 21+. That could explain why all of these numbers seem to be so much below most people here..

14. flunkee

flunkee
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

This is still common here in MT even though they recently made it illegal to drink and drive. You read that correctly. Up until a couple of years ago, it was legal to drive with an open alcoholic beverage here if you were not in city limits and not intoxicated. Yes, we do have the worst drunk driving record among the 50 states. Still.

15. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

The site is blocked for me at work, so apologies if this is mentioned in its description.

Does the average represent the number of people who voted, or all of the people in the state based on sales? Because if the data aren't accounting for sober people, then these averages would be skewed really, really high.

Conversely, if these data represent drinkers and soberers (not a word, I know), then for every guy who doesn't drink somebody else has to drink beer like air to account for the middle ground.

I'm not sure which option scares me more.

16. Crazy Wolf

Crazy Wolf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Have they done this, but including all forms of alcohol? The "volume" measurement, if measuring beer and not the alcohol contained in the beer, can be misleading. Sure, that'd require a more in-depth survey, but you could probably get pretty accurate results if you knew what, say, the top 5 beers in the region were.

17. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well...you know, you guys could only look like you drink twice as much as everybody else, instead of 4 times as much as everyone else.

18. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If I even suggested a to-go cup people would look at me like I'm either crazy or retarded. I hate Minnesota.

19. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The last time I was down in Slidell I could walk/drive up to a window and get a to go cup of margaritas.

20. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm pretty sure that data represents everyone. I only say that because that's how the Czech number was arrived at. Amount of beer comsumed divided by total population.

Link
    Cleary, I'm not just drinking for my neighbor, but my town and possibly county.