Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

How I Met Your Mother Season 8

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by rei, Oct 16, 2012.

1. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Total fucking cop out. All this intricate back story to have that bullshit happen?

2. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You guys are aware there is another season right?
    I think them not doing a big reveal in the last seconds of the last episode is a much better idea.

3. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't think it's lazy writing as much as it's forced into a one way or another writing.
    They weren't signed on for season 9 until late in January. Some of the key characters weren't on board yet so they had to position the show to possibly end this season.

I'm perfectly fine with them revealing the mother before the last episode. There now exists the possibility that she plays a large role in the final season which I think would be a good thing. It would be nice to see the show close at Ted's wedding which would fit into the timeline as he already has a daughter in 2015 and Barney and Robin's wedding was in 2013.

4. twopy

twopy
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Theres what, like three days until the wedding? That means 20something episodes are going to be those three days, or we are going to do those wonky flashbacks every other episode. I really don't want to go back in time to see the Mothers whole life story. But every few episodes theres going to be a flashback to every instance where Ted crossed paths with her.

I'm cool with her being in the whole final season. I'm just scared they are gonna fudge it up. I mean I'm going to watch the whole season, not cause I want to, but because at this point I'm so invested I just need to see it through.

5. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not too sure they are going to do all the episodes based on the 3 days before the wedding. I could easily see half the season being spent leading up to and involving the wedding day and at the mid season hiatus, Ted taking the train and meeting the mother and the storyline up to their wedding.
    The creators have hinted that you won't mistake any of the season 9 episodes from any other in the series, but I don't think they will use the "24" time gag to fulfill that. I think they may do a split story telling and have each episode from here on in be based half on Ted's point of view and the other from The Mother's.
    If you've ever read the book Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, I'd imagine they would do it similar to that.

Overall, I think there are too many loose ends to tie up to make an entire season based on just the three days leading up to the wedding. An insignificant, but funny tie up being, the remaining two slaps of the slap bet.

6. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

<a class="postlink" href="http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/05/13/how-i-met-your-mother-cristin-milioti/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/05/13/how-i ... n-milioti/</a>

An interview with the creators on why they introduced the mother now:

7. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think this lends itself to my thinking that she is going to be incorporated into the storyline in a major role throughout the season.

8. BeCoolBitch_BeCool

BeCoolBitch_BeCool
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'm glad they found an actress that looked like this:

(I want to brag that I predicted it a while ago. I can't find my old post though.)

I also want to state that more than any other TV sitcom, this show still continually does the best season-end cliffhangers.

#48 BeCoolBitch_BeCool, May 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  9. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe it wasn't in that article but another one, where they said she'd become a big part or the story anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 way in to the season.

10. Dmix3

Dmix3
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

11. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ugh, I was hoping they weren't going to go that route of doing it all in the wedding weekend. There's such better potential extending it past that instead of following that timeline and doing a bunch of flashbacks and flash fowards.
    I bet there will be 10 out of the 22 episodes that are going to be completely useless.

12. guernica

guernica
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If that's true, where does the Marshall/Lily/Judge storyline come into play? I think it's obvious Marshall can't keep a secret and will blurt it out during the wedding sometime, but do we expect them to both make a decision then too?

Dedicating a whole season to the wedding is too much. 5-6 episodes is far more sensible.

13. JoeCanada

JoeCanada
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Plus flashbacks are tougher now that Lilly looks like she's 47.

14. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Did anyone besides me catch the opening episode? The producers had said it was going to have a different feel and look to it, and in my eyes it has. I do not want to spoil anything, but it seems as if they are going to spend the entire season going after all the wedding clichés you have ever heard about.

15. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I watched it and that show is now getting the Weeds/Office treatment. It was great and I will tune into the finale, but I just can't watch this garbage anymore.

16. AbsentMindedProf

AbsentMindedProf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's not as good anymore, but still worth watching. There's always a few episodes and scenes that are either really funny or moving. They also have a lot of opportunities to do some interesting things. So I'm in for another season.

17. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

18. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If this lasts more than 1 season I'll be shocked. The only reason people still watch How I met Your Mother is because of the attachment they have with the characters that developed over the amazing first 4 seasons. Without that attachment, this new series is going to bomb, and CBS will be dumbfounded as to why.

19. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yup, How I met Your Mother is the last show me and the wife watch on our PVR, we kind of look at each other when it comes up like 'must we?'.

20. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, the show wraps up at the end of March, so only 3 episodes left . I loved the flashbacks in last nights show, but damn was that ending kind of a kick in the nuts.

I know a lot of people had the "the mother is dead" theory, but having it confirmed in last night's episode was still kind of a hit. They did it really well. They spent time letting us get to know and really like the mother, before killing her off? And I know people get down on the Ted character, but Josh Radnor was damn good in those scenes with the mother at Inn.