Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

How I Met Your Mother Season 8

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by rei, Oct 16, 2012.

1. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sucks.
    Seriously it's not even that it's terrible its just not interesting or funny. Barney's pervy moments feel only creepy with no redeeming funniness, Victoria has turned into a completely absent but still shitty character, and it feels like nothing is happening (though props to episode 2 for removing that tumour of a character early)

Lets just get to the point, show.

2. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well said, the writers better thank their lucky stars that they have 7 seasons under their belt and a fanbase that is pot committed cause this show has gotten pretty terrible. Based on the first few episodes, if it was a new show it would be cancelled. I mean, hell, that Neighbors show or whatever it is that comes on right after, the first 5 min usually get taped with HIMYM and I usually chuckle more during those 5 min than the entire episode. And that show isn't any good...though Sophia Bush is so fucking cute

3. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Am I the only one whose DVR said it was a new episode but recorded a rerun?

4. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Most of the networks aired reruns last night for everything. A combo of the storm coverage and what I'm assuming would have been poor ratings resulting from the NE being without power. Check CBS.com or something.

5. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hey, we got an episode that didn't suck! it only took half the season!

I really think that epsiode was all about bait and switch. It looked like it was going to get shitty a few times (When Seth Greeen showed up; when Ted was planning his date / in the car) but it didn't - it subverted its own shittiness and delivered a fairly solid episode.

6. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I kind of loved Marshall and Lilly get pwned by Seth Green. They still have their moments, but they've gotten pretty annoying as characters. I get that some of this is probably intentional, but still.

Also, did anyone laugh at Ted's emo moment by the window to end his episode? Best night of his professional life and he's still gonna mope about women.

7. jrm

jrm
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Well, it looks set to be renewed for a ninth season. So there'll be plenty of more spinning of wheels yet before we get to the finish.

8. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

FFS. Please tell me you are kidding.

9. jrm

jrm
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I wish I were. I don't think it's official yet. I read that Jason Segel was the only cast member not convinced about another year on the show. Apparently he's now ready to go sign up for it though.

10. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I posted this on another forum accompanied by a picture of a gun in someone's mouth

THe only way I'll be okay with this is if he still meets the mother this season and the 9th is more of a post-script early days of their relationship.

11. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They have to have a season about why the mother was so fucking special that it took 9 years to tell the story, including random bullshit. They can't just leave you hanging with "and that kids is how I met your mother" and you wonder why she was such the right person.

12. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I agree, this is the only way a 9th season works. I actually might've been disappointed if the entire show just ended with Ted seeing the mother, they exchange smiles, and he just says "and that, kids, is how I met your mother." To me, the story wouldn't be finished until he dated the mother for a bit, which should be the focus of season 9 (if they have it).

13. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ok, well now we know how he met their mother. Don't need to watch anymore.

14. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think that last episode had negative jokes. There may have been more crying than talking. Also, did it sound to anyone else like Robin had been chain smoking 4 packs a day since the last episode?

15. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Actually, the episode where Ted has the blind date with the perfect woman, but instead decides to go for Robin, Season 1, ep 21.

They mention that she is the perfect woman, and that she plays bass in a band. Boom, we now know that is how they met, and that this woman Ted was supposed to meet was the perfect one.

So I got to thinking, Ted and this woman have crossed paths so many times, a ballsy thing to do next season would be to open with the intro, except the da da daa da dah da is bing sung by a female, and the pics are of a different group of friends, and we open with, I dunno, Tina Fey telling the kids

"Kids, here is how I met your father" and we get 15 episodes of her side of things whenever they happened to cross paths with her group of friends, and then the close with a wedding episode. Book it done.

Or would that be a paradigm shift too far?

16. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Monday's episode was the hardest I've laughed at the show since Season 5's The Playbook.

17. Rudolph

Rudolph
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Agreed, the last two episodes of the show have felt like the good old days.

18. Rudolph

Rudolph
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

No show is ballsy enough to do this, but I would absolutely love it. That would be such a crazy twist, but if pulled off well it would make up for the last few seasons of average episodes.

19. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

20. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The whole thing with Dave Coulier was fucking brilliant.*

*For those of you who don't know
    According to an ABC News article, "Alanis Morissette revealed that her angst-ridden hit 'You Oughta Know' was about her relationship with Dave Coulier". In an August 2008 interview to the Calgary Sun, Coulier admitted to being the ex-boyfriend portrayed in the song. In 1997 the Boston Herald reported that Coulier "admitted the lines are very close to home. Especially the one about 'an older version of me' and bugging him [Coulier] 'in the middle of dinner.'"

Bob Saget making the off hand comment that "I always loved that joke" was brilliant as well.

Kudos to the writers for this episode.