Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

How I Met Your Mother - Season 5

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Dufresne, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Darkstone

Darkstone
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

I have to go with the crowd on this one. Ted is just too unlikable. Barney, Lily, and Marshall are the best parts of this show. Ted is just kind of a bleh character.

2. Dufresne

Dufresne
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Until this season I would have given the nod to Robin for best female contributor of the funny, (as much as I love Allison Hannigan,) but the Robin-Barney relationship hurt her character almost as much as it hurt Barney's.

Looking forward to her return to form as well. If we're lucky, the writers have gotten all the relationship issues out of their system and realized that 3/5 of their ensemble work best when they're single. I'm hoping that the next serious relationship we see is the titular one that ends the show.

3. Rudolph

Rudolph
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Agreed. I hope the producers have this season, and next season left in the tank and end on their own terms. It's something that's far too rare in TV, in my opinion.

4. Riggins

Riggins
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

This was a great episode. It was awesome to see Barney back in full fledged Barney-mode. All the different plays from the playbook kept me laughing throughout the episode.

The Scuba Diver was awesome, and I for one didn't think it was going to be another play and was defintiely caught off guard. I loved it though, he sells his emotions so well, and I believed he was genuine when he was talking to Robyn about their breakup.

5. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have been a firm believer in getting Ted his woman. But after this episode, I wish they would just call it How I Hung Out With Barney.

6. Seeker

Seeker
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I figured he was at least trying to make a play after suiting up with the scuba gear, but the fact that he had planned it out that far in advance was a great reveal at the end. Great character, and when they have episodes like this it's really one of the funniest shows on TV.

7. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Goddamned Baltimore area had the fucking MNF game on instead of HIMYM. How is that even possible? I thought MNF was only on ESPN now.

8. Dufresne

Dufresne
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Have to say as soon as they started talking up Barney to that girl I realized it was all part of the plan. As he walked out the door with her I couldn't believe no one else in that group had spotted it yet.

As for which move I laughed at the most, it's a close race between the Cheap Trick and the Mrs. Stinsfire.

"Not a single one of those plays is a cheap trick! Except for the Cheap Trick."

Edit: Also, for your browsing pleasure:

The Balloon Explorers Club
    Extremities Quarterly
    Big Business Journal
    Dog Stevens' MySpace Page

Here are Google's most commonly searched phrases for November 16, 2009.

And finally, the contents of the Lorenzo Von Matterhorn page on Wikipedia before the Wikinazis deleted it for not being "factual."

9. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought the episode was the best this year and maybe the best of the series. It probably is because I enjoyed the subject matter on this episode.

I especially enjoyed the comments being directed at Robin that she would soon be married. I stayed single about 15 years longer than my friends. I remember being at several divorce parties where the divorcee woud vow to remain single forever. My comment was that they would be remarried within two years. I was more often right then wrong.

I was very happy to see Eva Amurri make and appearance on the show and can only hope they find a reason to bring her back on occasion.

10. Rudolph

Rudolph
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

11. Dufresne

Dufresne
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

The comments section below is a window into just how much some sad and desperate people try to live vicariously through sitcom stars. People expressing that they were so perfect together, it was sad to see them break up, blah blah blah blah blah. Goes to show how much some "shippers" (to use the term) want to see their own matchups happen at the expense of a show.

It was a blindingly stupid idea to put Barney in a relationship in the first place. Getting him out need to happen as fast as possible. Unlike a lot of shows that would try to just muscle through the bad decisions, it's refreshing to see writers so quickly realize their mistakes and fix them.

12. Ryan Leaf

Ryan Leaf
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

The show definetly suffered with less Barney awesomeness. I expect that they will get back together right as the show finishes, just to tie everything up nicely with a big fat fan service bow. That way those people will be happy and buy the DVD and the rest of us don't have to suffer the writers not being able to write Barney as a guy in a relationship.

13. Dufresne

Dufresne
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Yeah, last season ended with Ted saying, "And your mother was in that class." Nothing's come of that yet. Was the mother in the original class that he wasn't meant to be in, or his ACTUAL real class?

Still, the last two episodes have been easily the best of the season. No coincidence there.

Funny, though: I had no idea Chris Elliot was still finding work.

14. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He used to come into an antique center I worked at about once a month and was a very nice guy. My younger brother used to watch his movie "Cabin Boy" all the time (my brother likes weird movies) and I asked if him if he would give my brother an autograph cause he loved that movie. Chris looked at me for a couple seconds and says "What is wrong with your brother?"

I agree the episodes have definitely improved since they broke up Barney and Robin.

15. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can't be the only one who actually wanted to play Tijuana Slumlord, can I?

16. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Tonight's episode was okay and only really okay. It was kind of agonizing seeing Ted spend 20 minutes to get the Maggie deal set up when we know it's a foregone conclusion that nothing will come of it. Robin was annoying as hell all episode too.

The last scene was incredibly saccharine-laced but I liked it for some reason.

17. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fuck you Monday Night Football game that I only barely care about for fantasy football purposes.

18. Riggins

Riggins
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

How/why the FUCK Ted leaves to go teach his class is beyond me.

19. theking23

theking23
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Pregnancy did the women of this show good. Damn.

Boobs.

20. upgrayedd

upgrayedd
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Umm....some people have responsibility. Ever heard of it?