Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

How I Met Your Mother - Season 5

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Dufresne, Oct 20, 2009.

1. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Right, but then they explained it the next year.

2. valeo

valeo
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Yeah, definitely forgot about that. My point was just that narrator Ted has been a little fuzzy on his timelines sometimes, so I wouldn't hold my breath for more dopplegangers this season.

3. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't know. They employ various methods of storytelling within episodes and within seasons. They usually pay off the things they set up, though. Hell, I believe we still have two slaps left from slap-bet, and I know I've read an interview where the show runners said they know exactly when and where they want those slaps used.

I would be surprised if they don't pay off the dopplegangers when they said they would.

4. upgrayedd

upgrayedd
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

As far as the dopplegangers go, I would think that we only see an episode geared towards Barney's. I can only imagine what the writers do with that. In terms of the last two slaps for the slap bet, I would guess that one is used as this point this year. Then, the last one would probably used next year in what I would assume is the last season.

5. Dufresne

Dufresne
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Ted being an unreliable narrator is one of the things I love about this show. When he turns bongs into sandwiches, for instance, or changes, Murtaugh's "shit" into "stuff," it sets him up as a storyteller who can't be trusted on everything. It's a genius move by the writers that automatically absolves them of any blame for minor continuity errors, "fuzzy timelines," or anyone acting out of character.

One of the best examples was the recent bit where Robin says, "I've never had a good boyfriend... except Ted, he really knocked it out of the park," followed by Saget-Ted confessing, "I wasn't in the room during this conversation, but I figure that's what she said."

6. swood

swood
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

My personal favourite is in the epsiode 'How Lily Stole Christmas' when Ted goes the 'A Christmas Story' Route - "but I didn't say grinch I said a bad word, a very bad word ... oh, fudge, but I didn't say fudge."

7. Punk

Punk
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

My friend and I were debating whether or not "grinch" meant cunt or bitch. Thoughts?

Damn, I love this show. It's like an more contemporary, much funnier version of Friends. I don't get to watch it on TV though, so I haven't seen any of Season 5.

8. Dufresne

Dufresne
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

They say bitch with impunity throughout the show, so I'm guessing the former.

I was disappointed to see no new episode tonight. Anyone know why the show broke for a week? Was it delaying for November sweeps, or was it just in case the ALCS went into Game 7 tonight?

9. Vanilla

Vanilla
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

If you look at the site it said that a new episode called "The Stinsons" was supposed to air last night. They seemed to be fully planning on airing an episode. No idea what happened, but it doesn't seem like something they planned for at all. Next week is "Bagpipes". I'll be curious to see which airs, because maybe there was some stuff in the most recent episode that caused them to pull it last second? Who knows.

10. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Stinsons did air last night. It was a repeat from season four, where the gang finds out Barney has been telling his mother that he's married for years.

11. swood

swood
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I always took it to be bitch, because cunt just seems too harsh to me. But then again I always thaught Lily (and the woman in the bar) overreacted to the use of bitch. I'm voting cunt now.

Ted's pretty unreliable with what's unsuitable for his kids though, like in 'How Lily Stole Christmas' I'm pretty sure weed was mentioned instead of going the 'sandwiches' route. And I swear there was one episode where they all said witch instead of bitch, but I might be thinking about the grinch ep.

12. Vanilla

Vanilla
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Thanks alot.

13. The Squirrel

The Squirrel
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I don't mind when they go in directions other than the mother I feel it gives the show more umphf and the other characters and storylines are often so amazing. Also I think the closer they get to the mother the more likely it is to end.

Loved the bagpiping references I had to laugh out loud in the beginning, but after that I wasn't completely impressed. I sometimes think that when a comedy has a few AMAZING episodes I get spoiled and don't realize how funnny the regular episodes really are.

Anyone think they got bagpiping from the common term of "piping her out"?? Or just random....

14. snobes

snobes
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Glad to have the HIMYM thread back.

Last nights ep was good not great. Barney and Marshal continue to carry the show, with Lilly and Robin a close 3rd and trailing 4th.

I'm glad we've had less of Ted's story line the last few eps since he is the least funny of the 3 guys. But I agree they'll need to get back to Prof. Ted to get more to the mother story.

More Marshal and Freeky Lilly(with her huge post baby boobs) and Barnical, less T-Mos.

And Slapsgiving is just around the corner!

15. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

True. The show is How I Met Your Mother, not "How I spent my 30's sitting around moping while everyone else around me is being happy and awesome"

16. Ryan Leaf

Ryan Leaf
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Am I the only one that watches this show in spite of Ted? I wouldn't care if he died in a car fire and we never met the mother. For me, this show is about Barney, Marshall, Robin and Lilly. Sort of like Scrubs in that regard; nobody likes JD, but the supporting cast is awesome.

17. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I never particularly cared if JD found happiness or any of that jazz, but he had as much solid material as anyone (except maybe the Janitor, who is gold 100% of the time).

18. Gramercy

Gramercy
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I feel like a show hasn't been centered around Ted in a long while, maybe since the first 2 episodes this year. Nothing about him dating a girl, nothing about his job, etc. Seems like Barney is the main character now.

19. Seeker

Seeker
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I don't know what you are talking about. Barney has always been the main character. Next you're going to tell me you thought that whiny kid from New Jersey was the hero of Karate Kid.

20. Ryan Leaf

Ryan Leaf
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

The show is all about Barney. Ted is simply a fairly empty and unreliable narrative voice, a Dr. Watson, Nelly Dean or most appropriately Nick Carraway. It feels odd and unnatural when they focus an episode or an arc on him. Besides; how many guys do you know spend all their time moping around wishing they were married?