Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

How I Met Your Mother - Season 5

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Dufresne, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Dufresne

Dufresne
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

So I remember the RMMB had a HIMYM thread that got deleted, but before it did it was pretty popular. I thought I'd revitalize it where it might not get struck down by the might of SLF.

We're a few episodes into the 5th season, but I think it's still as funny as ever. After last night's episode, my roommate and I were stomping around our apartment screaming, "TANTRUM!"

2. dabeetrus

dabeetrus
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

SLF deleted that thread because he didn't like the show? lame.

I for one am a big fan, I haven't caught up to the 5th season yet but I'm getting there. The new episodes do seem really funny.

3. Vanilla

Vanilla
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Love the show. So far this season has been really damn funny. That being said, one thing that's been pissing me off was how poor/awkward Robin's acting (or maybe it was the writing) was at the start of 504, didn't bug me too much until the second time I watched it. It's one of those things that just takes away from the quality of the show. Anybody else notice this? (It was the crap about her teacher named Harold)

4. Gatling

Gatling
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

This is one of the rare new sitcoms that I have enjoyed from the start. The writing is consistently funny and inventive. The show's varied approach to story telling (i.e. backtracking, re-imagining, etc.) is almost always well done.

I've long believed that the reason that many British comedy's are revered (e.g. Fawlty Towers) is that, in many cases, they had the luxury of making only a few episodes. It is very difficult to sustain a comedy series past, say 35 episodes or so. The shows that are able to sustain their momentum into a fifth season, as has HIMYM, are rare.

5. nomad

nomad
    Expand Collapse
    Lurker

I just netflix'd this show and I really enjoyed it. It's very clever and relateable. Do you all think that Ted will meet the mother and the show will continue, or do you think he'll meet the mother in the series finale? I think as soon as he meets the mother, the show will end.

6. Dufresne

Dufresne
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

That's pretty much the consensus among fans. I completely expect the last scene of the show being Ted meeting a girl, saying hello, and before they can get another word in, the show cuts back to his kids, Bob Saget says, "And that's how I met your mother," and credits.

The show's built it up for so long that if they actually reveal anything about the mother, they won't be able to live up to expectations.

7. upgrayedd

upgrayedd
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I don't know if this counts as a spoiler but I'll proceed as so.

There was a news story a week ago that talked about how the 100th episode is going to be a music. Also, I guess they spent a lot of time casting a "very important female character." I've heard that they cast Rachel Bilson, which leads me to believe we are going to see interaction between the two for some time. Side note, that episode airs this season sometime in December.

8. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I had read that this season there are going to be sightings of the mother. It will be like the movie Jaws how you were a third through the movie before you even see the dorsal fin of the shark. I am just hoping the mother turns out to be that smoking blond Ted bedded in episode 503 I believe.

9. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The "Tantrum" and then destroying shit was hilarious. I always find this show funny and wonder if anyone watches "The Big Bang Theory?" I hate how they moved the of the show for that crappy one I can't remember the name of.

10. Ryan Leaf

Ryan Leaf
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I really like this show, but I can never really discrene why, as it has so many elements that I usually hate; i.e Laugh Track, pointless celebrity Cameos. NPH is a fucking genius though, Barney has not lost any of his awesomeness now his in a relationship. Also Cobie Smolders is really hot.

11. Dufresne

Dufresne
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Similar reaction here. When I bought the third season on DVD, it had a big sticker on the front saying, "ALL THE BRITNEY EPISODES!" My reaction was not positive. And yet the third season is fantastic.

12. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For me the reasons HIMYM is a cut above other shows in the genre are as follows:

1) NPH. He is a comedic God.
    2) Jason Segel. Very underrated especially sharing time with NPH, but he's beyond solid.
    3) Creative storytelling mechanisms. The show will often Tarantino an episode, use flashback and juxtapostion, altered memories (weed being "sandwiches") and all manner of unconventional storytelling devices.
    4) The female characters are truer to life than other shows. They don't exist solely as romantic foils or paper thin female cutouts. Robin likes guns, Lily likes to belch, etc. Both are very much fleshed out and the attraction the male characters have to them is easily evident beyond their physical appearance.
    5) Lily and Marshall are a married couple that doesn't act like they're heading towards divorce. Thank fucking God a sitcom finally did it.
    6) The show often intentionally denies the cliche TV ending or deus ex. Case in point: Marshall vowing to be over Lily and then an immediate cut to him crying on the couch, V.O. "But he wasn't, because that's not how life works."

13. Morblitz

Morblitz
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

One thing I love about the show is how they keep managing to bring back old jokes, and they not only don't get stale, but they're welcomed and hilarious.
    Like during the flashbacks of the tantrum filled roadtrips, the tape player has the same song stuck in it that was introduced over a season ago, doomed to repeat over and over, and when they road tripped in the present, it only took them a moment to get back into the same music/head space. Last episide, I would have rolled laughing if they had busted out the intervention banner on Marshals montage obsession. There was a lot of potential for funny there.

It's the way they keep it fresh, even when they reuse old jokes that make me keep watching. That and the aforementioned NPH.

Also, have you guys seen this? It was the best night ever. They buy up every domain name mentioned on the show and make websites around it. There's one or two about how "Ted" (Barney) is a douche or something. It's an extra touch that adds humour to the show.

14. Dufresne

Dufresne
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Unfortunately it appears to have been taken down, but the best was http://www.canadiansexacts.org. (It's non-profit, they just want to get the information out there.)

Clicking on each of the listed sex acts brought you to a different picture of Alan Thicke. Genius.

Edit: For example.

15. hawkeyenick

hawkeyenick
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I don't know what the current plan of the show is, but when they first introduced Stella, the writers said the plan was for her to actually be the mother. That fell through because Sarah Chalke was only able to sign a few episode arc at the time, and the original plan was for Alicia Silverstone to play the Stella character. However, Alicia didn't like the idea of competing with Britney for being the headlining guest star/addition to the cast.
    Now, the writers might have been anticipating the potential cancellation of the show, so maybe now they're going to hold off on fully introducing the mother, but I do feel like they're going to be giving some better clues this season. My prediction, based on nothing but conjecture, is that Ted and the mother's first date is going to be the finale this season, and they will be going to see the movie written by Stella's baby daddy mentioned in last year's finale, The Wedding Bride or something like that.

16. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Shit yeah, I was fully anticipating them bring that back, burn scar and all. I was a bit disappointed when they didn't.

I think my only criticism of this season so far is that in the first couple eps, they made Robin into jealous-girlfriend. She doesn't play that well, it doesn't fit the character.

Other than that, it's been phenomenal. What a great show.

17. J-Man

J-Man
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Just caught last night's episode and thought it was a fine return to form after what I thought was a bit of a flat start to the season. As as been mentioned everywhere NPH is amazing, and had me laughing good with insults to Canada and "let's go buy something that's bad for us and then sue the people who made it; that's American"

I can't believe how invested with Ted's quest to find the mother I am thanks to the show. I hope there's more foreshadowing in this series, like the whole goat in the bathroom thing, infuriates me waiting to find out those stories but hooks me into the show so well.

It's finally being shown in the UK so I can trumpet the awesomeness of this show to all and sundry.

18. Dufresne

Dufresne
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Apparently wasn't SLF. My bad, thought I remembered it as him, so I'm clearing his name. SOMEONE deleted it though. I remember the deletion comment was "Not every show needs its own thread."

That bugged me too. I just re-watched the Thanksgiving episode from the first season where Barney has Thanksgiving dinner in a strip club and Ted and Robin go with him. Ted's the one who thinks it's weird; Robin's totally cool with it. Not that serious overall, though. There are a few other little continuity issues that you notice if you rewatch the first season, though. Like Marshall confessing in one early episode that he's never been in a fight before, while "The Fight" episode from last season said otherwise.

Still, flat start to the season or not, "Stripper Lily" was awesome. I hope we see more of the doppelgangers.

19. J-Man

J-Man
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Could look like it's already written in for later in the season.

20. valeo

valeo
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Yea but they don't have a great track record for following through on that kind of foreshadowing. At the beginning of season 3 (I think, the one where the mother had the yellow umbrella) he hinted that was the year it all went down, but it didn't. Though that was the same season as Stella I think so maybe they had planned it that way. But also the goat in the bathroom. When it came around to that birthday they played it off as him misremembering what birthday it was so they didn't have to figure out why it was there.