Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

House of the Dragon

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Kubla Kahn, Aug 26, 2022.

1. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just watched the first episode last night and really enjoyed it. I really optimistic about the series now. I liked the King, the ambitious brother, the ambivalent yet yearning to be more daughter. Just happy to see a decent quality episode in the same universe that D and D had so thoroughly wrecked.

One thing I thought it delivered in spades with the pitch perfect casting. Just like the first few seasons of Thrones every actor was perfect for the roles. The Dr Who doctor is the best so far, the look, attitude, and gravitas just work for him. The actor the played the king nailed it. The daughter is good to though Im a little concerned her character might retread Dany's story a little bit too much. Milly Alcock, I cant put my finger on it but something seems off about her face. She looks like she's ten or maybe 30 or has fetal alcohol syndrome or something.

Setting up a whole lot of "they'll never accept a womyn on the THRONE!" Which makes sense and I get with the focus of this show being the civil war between the family. I was wincing a bit how it seemed like they were pushing the "nobody listens to or takes the only black guy seriously" angle. If tv or movies can integrate this stuff into quality art Im fine. When the themes override the story and are shoehorned in, grabbed from the headlines and inserted into a medieval fantasy show. I tune out. We'll see how it turns out.

Other than that I recommend if you were a fan of the original 5ish seasons of the first series.

2. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Can I point out how there are multiple non-Targaryen characters who have dyed their hair platinum blonde? The King's wife is an Arryn, dyed hair. The Queen-who-wasn't's husband is a Summer Islander, dyed hair. Really good production detail showing the influence of the Targaryens and how these yearners and strivers seek to imitate them.

3. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I’m just enjoying a story about the Targaryen’s where Daenerys isn’t involved. Emilia Clarke was annoying as hell.

I just wrote it off as Targaryen generational inbreeding. With that in mind, she got off easy. She could look like the Habsburgs or something. As for her IRL appearance, she is British, after all.

4. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I’m a fan of Rhys Ifans. The little Targaryen though…meh.

5. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My mom asked if any actors she would know are in it, and I said Rhys Ifans. She didn't recognize the name, so I said "he's been in a ton of stuff, Notting Hill, The Replacements, Harry Potter, etc" and she replied "Couldn't be the gross roommate in Notting Hill," and I said "yep, that's the one." Dude has had a helluva career.

6. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Dope that it’s already been renewed for a second season.

7. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In my mind I call him Gross Stephen Merchant.

8. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Deamons new whore wife had the worst french accent Ive ever heard. I take back my casting compliment. The new opening was lame too. Cheap, easy, tie in.

9. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We watched the first two episodes last night and so far we’re really enjoying it. Though I’m still pissed that George Martin delayed the sixth and seventh books for a prequel.

10. Zach

Zach
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hate to break it to you those books are never going to come out. (not written by Martin anyway)
    He is 73 and takes 5+ years to get one of those books out when things are going well. It's been almost 12 years since the last one in the series. Top that off the with the steaming shit the show took on his series I doubt we will ever see The Winds of Winter or A Dream of Spring

11. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was kinda disappointed they didn’t write a new theme. It’s a little lazy.

12. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

All of this. She's being made to be Great Value Shae, because they're gonna condense the fuck out of the source material to make sure they squeeze in a dragon fight or two. And reusing the GoT theme, gave me all the bad feelings. We're pretending that show didn't end as poorly as it did? You cannot trust this new show to stand on its own?

And are you sure you want to adapt a book about a family that's all about child brides and incest? It's like The Wonderful White-haireds of West Virginia.

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Mamie White making a cameo would be amazing.

14. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I agree about Great Value Shae, but there are a couple things I like about her so far.

15. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It’s only really one book and a couple of novellas isn’t it? I’ve debated reading it and spoiling the series. Honestly if Winds of Winter is ever released, even in his lifetime, I don’t know how it won’t be a let down given the years of anticipation.

16. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know, but he could have released them both by now is my point. And honestly, even if he dropped them both today I wouldn’t give a shit because I’m not re-reading the previous five to catch up on a bunch of characters I never gave a damn about anyway.

He’s gotten rich and famous off a job left incomplete and doesn’t appear to care. So screw him.

17. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Does he have any aspiring author children to "continue his work" like Frank Herbert did?

18. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's one book, Fire & Blood, and the story being told here is only a portion of the "history" covered within. So if the book is a History of the 20th Century, HotD is the chapter on WW2. You still got all of WW1, the great depression, etc. that we'll never get into.

19. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If he hasn't been banging 20 year old nerds with daddy fetishes for the last ten years, I don't know what the fuck he's been doing with his time and fame. There's gotta be at least a handful of accidental rugrats out there.

20. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

That episode made me deeply uncomfortable.