Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Hot Pepper Relish

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by Nettdata, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

With the end of the garden, I had some partially ripe fruit left over that I didn't want to just leave, so I picked everything that was left.

This included a cucumber, red-to-green tomatoes, and a bunch of hot peppers in various states of ripeness.

IMG_5549.JPG

I have no real measurements for any of this, but this is what I did. If you go and look up any kind of "pepper relish" recipe I'm sure you can get specific measurements, but I tend to just go by feel... for better or worse.

• Cut up everything I harvested (peppers, tomatoes, cucumber) into small pieces, then ran them through the food processor and dumped it all in a pot. In other words, make killer pepper spray in your kitchen and chemically burn your face. The food processor didn't deal with the cucumber properly so it left them as slices, which I let slide.
    • Cut up quite a few cloves of garlic and added it to the mix.
    • Had 2 good sized onions on hand, so diced them up as well.
    • Poured a bunch (4 cups?) of malt vinegar that I had into the mix. On hindsight, probably a bit too much, but only because it came out a bit more liquid than I was thinking... I think the tomatoes and cucumber added more liquid than I was expecting, but the flavour is still quite nice.
    • Added a bunch of mustard seeds. (a cup? maybe more? I like mustard seeds)
    • Added 2-3 cups of sugar (it seemed right for the volume I was working with).

It then sat in the fridge for 2-3 days while I dug out and cleaned the mason jars and lids, and found time can them. It smelled really, really good... and it wasn't until you stuck your finger in it to taste that you really got hit with the heat. It's a pretty complex flavour, with all the different peppers, tomatoes, cucumber, etc.

A few days later, when I was ready to finish it off, I boiled the mixture for about 10-15 minutes until the fruit was starting to go limp.

IMG_5552.JPG

I then canned them into mason jars, and then boiled the mason jars for about 15 minutes.

IMG_5554.JPG

It all came out pretty tasty, and my B-I-L and a family friend have both received a jar today and showed genuine surprise at how good it tasted.

I just had some myself on some roasted pork I did for dinner, and I'm liking it.

We'll see how it ages...

2. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Can you or anyone else give me some information about cooking with green tomatoes? I did not know you could use them in salsa like that. I have a ton of green tomatoes from the garden that I was going to slice up for fried green tomatoes because that's all I really know what to do with them.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I have heard about the movie "friend green tomatoes" so figured you can do stuff with them.

I then googled and found some inspiration/knowledge: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipes/15156/fruits-and-vegetables/vegetables/tomatoes/green-tomatoes/