Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

HOOOORAY BEER! WDT 5/11/12

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blue Dog, May 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Dog

Blue Dog
    Expand Collapse
    Absentee Mod

Well, today is my birthday. Today is also my son's birthday. I'm 29. He's 1.

... I guess I'm going to let him have the limelight THIS time. But come next year, I'm friggin' taking this shit back. This is bullcrap.

But let me ask yall- do yall have any idea how hard it is to buy a birthday cake? That shit is ridiculous! A couple of days ago, I was asked by my mom and The Wife to go to the store and place the order for our birthday cakes, because they were both too busy. Yeah, sure, I thought. That's no problem. How friggin' hard could placing a cake order be?

So I went to the store with my little guy in tow. I go up to the counter and start looking at what they have to offer. Here's the thing- apparently, for a kid's first birthday, you're supposed to get them their very own little mini-cake called a "smash cake", that they are supposed to have to themselves so that they can put their hands into it and rub it all over their faces so that they can look all messy and cute with shit all over 'em. I don't know, that's the tradition, I guess. But that's no problem, I place an order for his smash cake. But then I was supposed to order a big cake that was supposed to be for everyone else, I assumed. Since its my birthday too, I thought it would be best to just order something I'D like, and we'd just put "Happy Birthday, Blue Dog & Son's name" on it. Simple enough, right?

Honestly, I really don't care what kind of cake it is, as I'm going to be drinking beer all day and am more worried about what flavor of THAT I'm going to buy. Nothing in the display is really striking my fancy, and I don't really want to get one of those generic kids' birthday white cake with more icing than cake on it. Then I see one labeled as a "Snickers" cake. "Huh," I think to myself. "Snickers are delicious! People love snickers! And this is snickers in cake form! I bet cake that tastes like Snickers would be fantastic! Hey lady behind the counter, one Snickers cake please!".

The woman gives me a weird look. She can't believe I'm going to order a Snickers cake for a first birthday party. She says that's not what people normally do. But I tell her yeah, its my birthday too though, and he's got his smash cake all to himself, and that this one will be for everyone else. All it is really is chocolate cake with caramel and shit on it to make it taste like Snickers, so it shouldn't be a problem, right? So, still shaking her head in amazement, she takes my order.

I leave kinda confused, as to why the woman would make such a big deal out of this. It's just a friggin' cake, after all, and its Snickers cake! People love Snickers! So I call my mom and tell her the cake is ordered and give her the pickup time. She asks me what kind I got, so I explain to her what happened.

She sounds horrified.

Mom: Wait, you got a Snickers cake? But its... Thats... A Snickers cake?!
    Me: Well, yeah! People love Snickers!
    Mom: ... But there are going to be kids there too!
    Me: Kids love Snickers, too!
    Mom: ... Well, I guess that'll be alright... Maybe.

She called back later and said she changed the order to something else. I don't really care, but at the same time....... JESUS CHRIST, DO PEOPLE NOT LIKE SNICKERS AS MUCH AS I THOUGHT?!?!?! WHAT KINDA SICK JOKE IS THIS?!?!?

So yeah, I'm never ordering cake again. Coors light is my new cake. Yay!

2. Angel_1756

Angel_1756
    Expand Collapse
    The Big Four-Oh

I ordered a birthday cake last year for a friend's 30th birthday that had "Happy Coming Out Day, Princess" written on it. The Indian guy at the bakery wouldn't even write it, he had his bitch boy do it because "I don't celebrate the gay".

Happy birthday Blue Dog and Baby Blue Dog. May neither you nor your birthday party guests have peanut allergies.

3. Blue Dog

Blue Dog
    Expand Collapse
    Absentee Mod

That's the thing, though- THE CAKE DOESN'T EVEN HAVE PEANUTS. I'd understand if that were the case. It's like the worst Snickers cake ever, and it's still causing drama.

I don't get this shit. But thanks!

4. guernica

guernica
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Home alone tonight, but still drinking anyway. I'm going to use the two football games on TV as an excuse, but even if they weren't on I'd be doing the exact same thing, but with the ps3 anyway. In my defence I went out Wednesday night (saw Ross Noble, who provides plenty of laughs), so I'm not too lame, and this is the quietest weekend I'm going to have in a very long time.

5. hooker

hooker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

6. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am going to toss an additional wrench in The Great Cake Debate. You could have also gotten cupcakes in a variety of flavors and colors. So everybody can pick out what they want.

And I may be the only person in the world who doesn't like Snickers, but then again I am not a huge fan of cake either so probably wouldn't have had a piece. (unless is it wedding cake of course).

Happy birthday to Blue Dog and Blue Puppy!

My Fridays always suck. I always have mixed feelings at this time every week. Yeah it's Friday and the weekend is almost here! Boo I sure have to work too hard to get there.

7. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Or don't get a cake at a because all cakes suck. Go with any other dessert.

8. guernica

guernica
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not really fussed when it comes to dessert. Chocolate/cakes/lamingtons etc I need to specific mood to have any, and that rarely comes along. BBQ meat, or sncakcs (chips) is always preferred.

9. PIMPTRESS

PIMPTRESS
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I hear ice cream cakes are well received.

10. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

I dare you, Mya. Triple dog dare.

Look at it. You want it. Your co-workers want it. She's singing to you. Do you hear her in your ear, like a soft whisper? Inject the twinkies with bourbon first.

11. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Are these the only places to get cake within a 50 mile radius or something? Why shop somewhere with such shitty service? I assume you're not going back, right?

12. Angel_1756

Angel_1756
    Expand Collapse
    The Big Four-Oh

Correct, I never went back.
    Besides - why order a cake when you can make CUPCAKES?

Audrey - want one? (Recipe to be posted in the cooking thread 'cuz EVERYBODY should be making these.) Also, I cannot pipe icing to save my life. Forgive my buttercream smear.

Attached Files:

13. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

This, because it is ice cream, which is delicious, and not really cake at all!

Happy day to you both, BD.

14. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Layered trifle cake = winner. Bonus points if you use angel food cake.

15. sartirious

sartirious
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Ya'll can keep your provincial confections; this is how I roll:

Homemade Tiramisu!

For Breakfast!

I regret nothing.

Attached Files:

16. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Screw cake. My mom bakes an apple pie for my birthday. Every year. She has since I was probably 10 or so. Nothing beats apple pie and ice cream.

17. silway

silway
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am totally lost as to why a snickers cake would be more or less "appropriate" for a 1 year old. Is there some sort of long standing one year old birthday cake tradition I am not aware of? Should it be made of paper when they're 1 and on up to diamond cake at 50 (or whatever)?

Can someone explain what the issue is? Or does everyone in Blue Dog's state simply hate snickers?

18. hooker

hooker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Speaking of cake... this is how I found my husband Sunday morning - nursing his hangover, eating cake from the box and drinking chocolate milk out of the carton... on the kitchen floor.

His response? "I REGRET NOTHING!"

Attached Files:

19. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

Blue Dog, everyone is stupid. That cake sounds delicious.

Angel, duh. Yes, I want one.

Fuck it, I'm going to Crumbs after work today.

20. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's just their crafty women way of telling him he fucked up by not getting the REESE'S cake.

My mom gets me the same chocolate mousse cake every year from Servatii's (Cincy bakery). She got it once for my grandma's birthday when I was like ten and I fucking loved it so it has been a tradition ever since. Though over the years the cake has been made with consistently less mousse, in what I guess is a effort to save cost. Still pretty dope.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.