Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

(Honk) Them's fighting words!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by downndirty, May 15, 2021.

1. sharkhead nachos

sharkhead nachos
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

HONQUE!... stupid cobra chicken

2. wilder111

wilder111
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

People always joke(Because I grew up in AK) about polar bears, but IMO, you CAN'T bring a gun big enough for those things. I sleep well with a truck-mounted anti-aircraft gun in Polar Bear Country.
    1. only species that will actively "hunt" humans. 2. smell radius is 3-15 miles, depending on if on land, or ice. 3. 30-06 bullets have routinely ricocheted off AK bear skulls, both Polar, and Brown.

Also, technically speaking, Polar bears are classified as a Marine Mammal

3. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When we were working on the north slope one member of the team was carrying a shotgun with slugs. Unfortunately you have to let them get awfully close if you want to hit them with that.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Really? Slug guns are very popular for deer hunting here in Ontario due to the thick brush... I could get 2" groupings with a 3" slug at 100 yards, using my rifled shotgun barrel.

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

never used a slug for deer hunting, as I don't really do that much anymore, but I would feel 100% confident and ethical shooting at that range. Hell, the last time I was fucking around with slugs -- 5-7 years ago easily -- I was getting those groupings and I remember the range was 82 yards exactly. Except it wasn't anything exceptional, just a smooth barrel and bead sight. Sabot slugs though if that makes any difference.

6. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I stand corrected. I assumed shotgun accuracy would be crappy at those distances.

7. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm watching a game show and one of the contestant's name is Spoon. Who the fuck names their kid Spoon?

8. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If their last name was Mann, then I could be together with that plan.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

No worries... if you were just popping a shit slug into a normal full choke shotgun, yeah, I see where you're coming from.

But they've got some pretty cool slug gun barrels specifically for accuracy of slugs, as well as sabots, etc, and more advanced slugs, and yeah, damn precise at a reasonable distance.

150 yards and you're all over the place, but 100 yards or less, it's pretty damn accurate.

https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/...-smoothbore-into-a-deadly-accurate-deer-rifle

10. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not really a gun person, and I don't pretend to know much, but I went to a range once, and while I could barely hit the broad side of a barn with a handgun, when it came to the shotgun...
    [​IMG]

11. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I went to the range recently and couldn't hit shit with my 9mm that I've owned for 20+ years and have put thousands of rounds through. Switched to my buddy's.357 and had a 2x3" grouping at 15 yards. Shit's weird

12. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How is the grouping with the 9mm? Is it all over, or consistent, but off to one side, high, low etc?

Has it been a long time since you last shot? If it's all over its likely you're just out of practice. You might have just been more focused with the .357 if it was unfamiliar to you.

If consistent, but off you might have picked up a bad habit like jerking the trigger.

Less likely, but if it was dropped or something similar, it's possible the sights may have been bumped out of alignment.

13. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Either just down or down and to the left. At 15 yards, I was consistently down 6-8" and 4-5" to the left.

Been a few years since I've been to the range and it was just me with the bad shot, so not gun error haha.

There is very little kick so I don't think I'm jerking the trigger in expectation of the recoil but maybe.

14. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How long was the barrel on the 357? I sometimes shoot better with a heavy revolver than I do with a lighter weight semiauto. Less felt recoil IMO but ymmv.

15. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Jerking the trigger usually results in high and to the right. Left if you're left-handed, but high regardless.

Low and left is usually recoil anticipation. Regardless of how light the recoil, it's possible to anticipate and "drive the gun" without realizing you're doing it. I've seen people anticipate recoil with a .22.

If you haven't shot in awhile and you shot your 9mm before your buddy's .357, I'd bet it was a combination of being out of practice. You warmed up with yours and paid more attention to your mechanics while shooting a weapon you're not as familiar with.

16. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Medium length. I googled some images and 4" looks too short and 6" looks too long IIRC

Right handed so all signs point towards recoil anticipation.

17. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Unless you were being chased by a cobra chicken, I think you posted in the wrong thread.

18. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

correct

19. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

20. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For most of my life, I've wanted to wrestle a medium sized (6' long) alligator. They live in my area, but despite many years of looking, I've only seen one, and I couldn't get to it.

I've caught many a snake in my day, but I would never try to fuck with a larger constrictor. Once they make a loop around your neck, it's all over.

I was attacked by a German Shepherd when I was about 5-6 years old. It was my dad's friend's dog. I was wandering around his back yard, and the dog showed up. It was almost as tall as I was, and it freaked me out, so I started running, and it tackled me and bit my ear. The owner's daughter saw what happened, and quickly got the dog off of me.

OF COURSE, the owner said that "he just wanted to play!" , and that I shouldn't have run. Fuck that guy.

I was scared shitless of ALL dogs after that, until I was about 15-16, when I 1) Realized I was bigger than them, and 2) started carrying a knife all the time.

Fun fact: I've been bitten by plenty of dogs since then. You know what most of them were? CHIHUAHUAS.

If I had my way, I'd shoot every Chihuahua I see. Fucking worthless dogs.