Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Honey, I don't know what this is, but it tastes like crow!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrFrylock, Oct 1, 2010.

1. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

Earlier, I overreacted to something, more publicly than I would have liked, and then had to retract it, again more publicly than I would have liked. It's not fun admitting you're wrong.

On a related note, however, I quite enjoy Ask a X threads of all types, and as usual I welcome submissions by PM. I have a small queue, but we'd really like to get some interesting ones going. Some of our past threads on this and the old board (Ask a Pervert, Ask a Cripple) were legendary. If you have an especially unusual hobby, job, or other situation, and you're willing to share with the well-meaning strangers of TiB, let us know. I'll work with Chater about maybe having a prize of some sort for the most interesting Ask a X thread.

But back on topic...

FOCUS: When have you had to eat crow about something? What was it? Did you try to avoid it for as long as possible? What was the fallout?

2. Dr. Gonzo Esquire

Dr. Gonzo Esquire
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'm an atheist and used to be a real dick about it. Freshman year of high school I was talking to a friend and although I don't remember the context of the conversation at some point God was brought up. I looked at him and said, "I'm sorry to break it to you, but there's no Santa Clause, there's no Easter Bunny, there's no God." His reply was something along the lines of, "I'm not trying to convert you, so why are you being a dick to me?" I don't think I've ever felt more like a piece of shit than in that situation because my buddy is a really nice guy and I hated pissing him off in such a dickish way. Luckily I apologized and the friendship was salvaged.

3. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll admit it: I drank the Tucker Max Kool-aid.

I told every one of my friends, family, and my now-wife that IHTSBIH movie was going to be "ground-breaking," "revolutionary," "change the way films are done," and "shit-your-pants-funny." I also pimped it everywhere on my facebook to my co-workers, simply because I HONESTLY thought, based upon the evidence presented, that it was going to be all of those things.

It just turned out to be a decent comedy that absolutely no-one had heard any reviews for, and as recently as last night I'm still eating crow from it. Every time I say I heard a movie was good, I always catch some version of "yeah, like that beer in hell movie?"

I'm honestly not sure I can objectively enjoy or not enjoy his books now because all that. It was embarrassing, to say the least.

4. Pinkcup

Pinkcup
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I did the same thing, and I cringe every time someone reminds me of it. It was a lesson, for sure...and I'll be honest and say that I can't even objectively read his books now. I feel like, when it comes to a Tucker Max product, it'll always be tinged with the sour flavor of my epic disappointment at the craptastic movie.

Focus:I once or twice (okay, a lot of times) caught a righteous load of flak for advocating bareback sex in a committed relationship. While this advice by itself isn't horrible and shouldn't be as villified as it is (people discontinue condom useage in a committed relationship all the time and it generally doesn't do any harm), I also paired that advice with a stubborn unwillingness to see that simultaneously going without a different form of birth control is a bad idea. I used my personal anecdotal experience & the anecdotal experiences of my female friends to make a large assumption that actually doesn't prove itself to be true for the general population. Namely, not every dude that you fuck has A) the ability to pull out successfully or B) the ability to be supportive of your reproductive choices if something goes awry.

Obviously, that was wrong on so many levels. It makes me embarassed as fuck to think that I once championed a sexual behavior that can ultimately dick women over reproductively. Blergh.

Anyhow, for you kiddos reading at home: Condoms always--it should be as familiar as pulling on a pair of pants. Secondary method of birth control always. A third can't hurt any, so go ahead.

5. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So condom, coat hanger and a fake name, got it.

6. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Back when I was still with my ex-wife, she borrowed my truck one time, and somehow ended up crashing it into a brand new Cadillac DeVille, totaling it (the Cadillac--my truck was repairable).
    I gave her shit about it whenever she wanted to drive ANYTHING (the accident had been very easily avoidable, my truck was damaged quite badly and never drove the same again, and I am just a better driver than her.).

A couple of years later, she was with me and I was driving the same truck, and a compact car screeched to a stop in front of me, and when I hit the brakes, my front wheels locked up, and I started to skid. I crashed into the back of a Toyota Celica, and even though the damage wasn't nearly as bad as what my ex had done to the Cadillac before, the Celica was totalled (my truck, a '94 Ford F350 was still repairable, and I drove it for a few more years).
    I promised to never give her shit about her previous accident in my truck, and I still haven't.
    However, I CAN give her shit about totalling her mom's car and her own car later.

7. Viking33

Viking33
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Coat hanger, flight of stairs, fake name.
    What's the point of a condom in yours?

8. Nate17

Nate17
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

After becoming a cop, I did not notice a direct change in my attitude; my mother did. She told me a few months back that I've changed, said my attitude/ temperment had gotten grim. I honestly didnt realize it. I had always been a caring person, kinda liked people. after she pointed it out, I saw it. I now think most people (outside my circle) are idiots, retards, and a basic attitude that its "us against them". I' m now aware of it, but I don't think its something I can change, or need to change.

9. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Condoms feel like fucking a trash bag. Randoms? Yes. Steady girlfriend? No thank you, I am going to enjoy my bare-backedness and free* sex.

*condoms cost money.

10. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I once made an offhanded and (I thought) sarcastic remark about how valuable my brain was on account of my tuition costing so much money. It's a common complaint among my classmates - our tuition costs more than twice as much as undergraduate tuition because it is not regulated in the same was as undergraduate tuition, so the university charges a lot to extract as much cash as possible; furthermore, the quality of education is by no means proportional to its cost. It was made to people who a) didn't know this, and b) didn't pick up on the sarcasm.

Guess who got the nickname "big brain" from there on out.

11. Sam N

Sam N
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How about: Kill her, bury her, and move on with your life? Cheap and 100 percent effective.

12. Dr. Gonzo Esquire

Dr. Gonzo Esquire
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Burying still leaves evidence and involves too much work for my liking. Starve some pigs for a few days and then let 'em have her.