Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Homeland

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Jimmy James, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think this show has about a three or four season trajectory before it gets annoying, but the first episode was excellent. And Damian Lewis didn't disappoint. Seeing the promos for the show, I wasn't all that sure of Claire Danes's character, but after this episode, a lot was made clear. Also, seeing her rub her crotch was easily the grossest thing I've seen on television this year.

2. Timo

Timo
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I'm surprised this thread hasn't gotten more love. I was totally entertained with the pilot. Getting to see the V chick naked put it over the top.

3. bean

bean
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Definitely the grossest thing on TV I've seen in awhile. However, this was quickly rectified by Morena Baccarin's fantastic tits. I know every Firefly watcher has been waiting for those since the first episode.

4. Nax

Nax
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Confirming that Morena Baccarin was ridiculously hot and absent clothes, so not disappointed that I watched. The pseudo rape of Baccarin was creepy and effective, I have to give her props for her performance.

The rest of the episode left me pretty cold but I can't tell how much that's because I've disliked Damian Lewis since spending a couple of hours trying to not to claw my eyes out whilst watching him in Dreamcatcher or because I'm burned out on the "blah blah mysterious blah that we will drag out for as many seasons as we can getting ever more ridiculous all the time" formula that's been used too much recently.

It was quite interesting watching The Hour a few days back and getting drawn in by the characters and acting rather than flash cuts to 'action' whenever the script gets too boring. I found its historical context really interesting, echoing some of the culture and history that I saw in England, whereas I'm living in America right now and I got no cultural echo of the country as it is from Homeland so far.

Claire Daines looks a bit young to have missed vital intelligence that might have prevented 9/11 (or at least I think that's what they were implying was her character's motivation.)

B- mostly thanks to Morena.

5. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Jesus, Carrie is a manipulative bitch. I know she's trying to protect the country and everything, but she has zero redeeming qualities.

6. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Does anyone else hate the opening credits as much as me?

7. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, but on the plus side, it gives me a few extra minutes to finish a cigarette.

I've watched it from the beginning, and generally enjoy it, but does anyone else feel like it's pacing is getting slower and slower?

8. Uno

Uno
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Yes, I attributed that to Brody getting settled back into to normal life and getting re-adjusted before shit starts hitting the fan.
    I was expecting to see Brody have a harder time adjusting to the day to day changes than just the PTSD.

The side plot-line with terrorists is progressing slowly, but steadily.

9. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, last night's episode upped the pace a little bit, and it gave us a new subplot with the introduction of Saul's wife. But I'm starting to fade on it. Carrie is starting to get on my nerves. Seeing Mrs. Brody nekkid like the first episode would help.

10. Timo

Timo
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

For all the care they seemed to put into the previous episodes, I'm surprised they let Brodie get the razor blade to his buddy by simply asking. I don't know if this is just a commentary on how stupid things like this actually happen in high ranking intelligence circles or just lazy screenwriting, but it left a sour taste in my mouth.
    I am still entertained, and let it be known that every set of tits shown on the show has been fantastic.

11. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was all excited for Carrie to fuck the truth out of Brody, now it seems like he is the one playing her like a sap while getting the two of them naked.

...I'll allow it.

12. mad5427

mad5427
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I like how they are keeping things ambiguous. Nobody actually saw Brody give the blade to the other guy. What about Saul's lying during the original questioning and being so quick to have to leave. Somebody who seems stable like him would know it's routine and just get it over with. What's he hiding, or is it another red herring? Plus, they showed that he is either Muslim or very sympathetic to their ways. He had close contact with the prisoner who killed himself when he kissed him on the cheeks.

This has a lot of potential as another show that paints everything as grey. I love when shows do that. Much more realistic than pure black/white, good guys and bad guys. Probably why I never really liked super hero comics except some Batman and gravitated towards darker, indie stuff. Grey is good and this show has it in spades.

Carrie is a bit batshit and I don't know where they are going with her character but part of me likes it. Part of me wants to hit her with a bat and part of me thinks that maybe she's good at what she does and can do that type of work because she's a bit out there.

13. Fusion

Fusion
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I think that is definately the most appealing part of this show is that it is so unpredicatable. Nothing is so clean cut like other shows, each episode adds new twists.

I agree Carrie is mentally unstable, but I think her character is interesting to watch at the same time.

14. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you didn't see the episode yesterday, don't click this link.

Needless to say, I think Bill Simmons doing a running diary on anything is entertaining, but this was pretty awesome.

Also, holy shit yesterday's episode. Wow.

15. Fusion

Fusion
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

You think yesterdays episode was amazing, have you seen next weeks trailer! WTF next episode looks non-stop action!

16. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Season finale coming up.

I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the run up to it so far. Seeing Carrie go completely unhinged at the end of this last episode of awesome. And the return of Mrs. Brody's sideboob. Yay!

As far as next week goes, if you watched the little teaser, it seems pretty obvious how it'll shake out at least until the end. I can see this happening one of three ways: (spoilered for those that didn't see the teaser)
    1. Brody succeeds, killing the VP and any other poor bastard that happens to be in the room, setting up for season 2 of Carrie trying to get back into the CIA and capturing Abu Nazir.
    2. Brody fails, due to Carrie catching him, setting up for season 2 with Brody being tried for treason and ultimately the death penalty. Carrie still tries to catch Abu Nazir.
    3. Brody fails, due to his bomb vest failing to go off. Season 2 starts with Carrie still trying to be reinstated with the CIA and slowly being less crazy. Brody begins Plan B. I'm assuming Walker is killed/captured at some point in the finale net week.

17. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

All I have to say is I was fucking right. Still a great season finale. Can't wait for next year.

18. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I decided to start watching the series. And Morena Baccarin is the most gorgeous woman alive. But all I can think of when I see her in this show is, "cheating whore".

Something's wrong with me.

19. Fusion

Fusion
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I think we all find this appealing as we know she still fucks!

Discussing finale episode/season 2 (put in spoiler as it appears people have only began watching this show):
    On another note, I finally got around to watching the finale. Wow what an end, I was on my seat literaly chanting "blow the fuckers", but at the same time knowing there was a season 2 coming up and no way to do the season without Brody this was the best way to end the season.

The thing that appeals most to me about watching this show, is that it constantly keeps you interested in that they never make it so obvious that you can predict how the plot will develop, yes we all knew that certain stuff was going to happen e.g. Brody was part of some terrosist plot, but we never knew the reasoning behind his behaviour etc.

Cannot wait for Season 2, anyone know when it is back?

20. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Probably in about 9 months.(since the season just wrapped up) Shows on HBO and Showtime happen once a year. Generally 12 episodes consecutively lasting about 3 months.