Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Hold my man card, I need a drink

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Revengeofthenerds, May 23, 2014.

1. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

SURPRISE, not everyone loves syrupy thick stouts and porters either. Bourbon County Stout is an Imperial Stout from Goose Island that won awards and has a near perfect rating online and I could hardly finish a bottle. I don't think anyone in their right mind is trying to convince you that Coors Light is a higher crafted product with more nuanced flavors. But its like scotch snobs trying to argue when people like other liquors better. Not everyone likes that shit, its all preference.

2. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Absolutely. I used SS as an example because I have a bottle of it here. I like other beers too, besides stouts and porters. I like hefes and BPAs and some (though few) IPAs...
    And they're all superior to Coors Light.

Which is my point.

3. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Superior...in your opinion, which is my point. This whole discussion is one of preference, not quality. I know plenty of people who like Coors Light for the very reasons you drop it down. Same as when people bag on Blue Moon. Some people like their alcohol to be non-complex and unintimidating. Based on that mindset, I'd have no problem with someone telling me Coors Light is "superior". Different strokes and all.

4. Queen-Bee

Queen-Bee
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: Barrrrrrrf

Bottle? Surely you mean case?

5. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thanks for reminding me you guys.

Chicks drink Coors Light.

And frequently leave half-full cans/bottles of it laying around after a party.

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I think it's also necessary to judge them if they order a Cuba Libre instead of saying Rum and Cola like a normal human being. Is that supposed to make a person look fancy? Even in Cuba everybody said rum and cola. These same people no doubt lose their shit when you refer to "sparkling wine" as Champagne.

7. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Slutty college chicks drink Coors Light.

Women who buy their own beer don't drink Coors Light on purpose. Unless they're fixing a fence, hauling hay, or floating a river.

8. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I used to sell ads to this bar called The Motel Bar in Chicago. One time I was feeling myself as a 21 year old after having a big sales month. I requested either an old fashioned or manhattan. Got three sips into it before I tapped out. Requested a glass of sprite so I could balance it out.

The bartender gave me a coaster that said "Man Card" with the Sprite, then a server walked over about a minute later and took it away. I couldn't help but laugh and feel like a bitch at the same time.

I'll drink anything if it tastes good, and for the record 80% of beers don't taste good. Any taste you need to "acquire" isn't good. It could be satisfying, fulfilling, and enjoyable, but it doesn't taste good. Like people who need pain to get off, getting choked to them is satisfying, but they are feeling pain.

Also, let's calm down with the bashing of Coors Light, back o the focus. Plenty of people drink Coors Light, Bud Light and Miller Light. None of those people are monsters. They are people attending sporting events. When I go to Cubs Rooftop games and it is hot as hell outside, I hate beer and Coors Light is light and gets me drunk enough to watch horrible baseball. Sports stadiums don't have IPAs, Stouts, or any form of craft beer. It's just there.

9. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

I'm with you on this in theory, but if it was 100% true I don't know how I ended up liking beer now when I didn't like it when I was younger. The same with hot & spicy food; couldn't handle it as a kid but I really like it as an adult. Maybe it's not so much of acquiring a taste as much as tastes change?

10. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not even going to bash the Silver Bullet - because like I said it has time and place.

But what kind of fucking ballparks are YOU going to? The Ballpark in Arlington (AKA Globe Life Park) definitely has good beer...IPAs, Stouts, several kinds beyond the big three. You can get Blue Moon & Shocktop (neither are craft, I know that...), as well as Goose Island IPA, and Stella, and Shiner on any level of the ballpark, at any base. The vendors aren't carrying them, so you have to get up and go to them, but they're there.

Man. Parker. You gave me a huge sad because now I realize how shitty that is for people attending games in other stadiums.

Trakiel - palettes do change as we age. So that may be part of it.

11. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't readily buy coors light. However, when I have 5 lbs of crawfish sitting in front me, thats all I drink. It goes well with it, doesn't fill you up, and gives you that beer taste that is so perfect with a pile of spicy crawfish.

edit: Shiner is a fantastic beer. Its one of the best things about living here. Its slightly cheaper than the other local craft brews but it goes great with pretty much anything. And I am probably alone in this, but Ruby Redbird is just the most refreshing summer ale they make.
    [​IMG]

12. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You gotta get out more, or at least come up to Target Field here.

Trakiel I agree with you, actually I can remember the first time I had a "real" beer after taking some of my dad's Schell's and thought it was awful... but after time and practice I love that stuff now.

13. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes! And thank heavens it's on the east coast. They make a blonde and a light blonde that are both light and easy to drink and not super filling, as well.

Some things go with beer. Baseball, sunshine, the beach, and yard work all fall into that category.

14. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Light blonde is an excellent food beer. One of the best light beers out there I'd say. Once got it for a dollar a can at some cajun place around here. I had to call a taxi that night.

15. Luke 217

Luke 217
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'm not a beer guy, could care less about shitty beer, good beer, or any beer, but living in St Louis for a couple years made me hate everything about the people there and their indoctrination of Budweiser. If those fuckers re-wrote The Iliad, Nestor's Cup would have been copy'd and pasted as Bud Light. I won't drink it on principle.

I get trying to support your community, but don't try to spout nonsense about it being the greatest beer on the planet. Is is that far our of your spectrum to admit that you were raised on it, its familiar, you enjoy it, but there might be, maybe, possibly be a better alcoholic beverage on the planet?

The only good thing about Missouri is open container laws in automobiles.

16. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I went too far into hyperbole. Now I'm talking United Center, Wrigley Field, U.S. Cellular, and Soldier Field. All of them great places, Wrigley the greatest in its category. For the record, Stella is the equivalent of Coors Light in Europe. I was speaking more of the vendors moving up and down the aisles, but if yours are shouting the names of those beers? Cool. Whatever. I've talked more about beer here than I've drank it.

17. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Last saturday I went to mow the lawn before the rain came in, and as any man understands mowing the lawn isn't a "have a beer" thing, but more like a "pack an ice chest" thing. Well once I finished and stumbled back inside, el preggo wife -- who apparently forgets I get drunk because she can't -- decides it would be a great idea to go the the local icehouse for dinner. I agreed, so long as she drove.

On special there was a massive margarita, with a Ruby Redbird stuck in the top of it. I almost had a heart attack when I saw it, as that is the EXACT thing you need after doing yard work in Texas. Went down great with the fried pickles and jalapenos, and the fried steak so big it was falling off the plate.

18. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That sounds amazing. I never thought about sticking one in a margarita. With a big old fried steak, that sounds like heaven. What bar was this?

19. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

It was a local restaurant called "Willie's."

'Icehouses' are gaining in popularity around here. Like a place you can take your kids to while they play in the sandbox you get wasted, but also a place you go to single to eat like a slob alone and get wasted. Common denominator is getting wasted. Basically it's first priority is to be a cheap, family-friendly restaurant with good live music and a basic menu that does everything just like you imagined your best drunk cooking would turn out. Second priority, very close to first, is make beer and margaritas as readily available as possible. There's a line at every icehouse that goes to the counter. That line starts at the door and passes down multiple troughs filled with 1-2 dozen different beers.

20. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I got a 6 pack of Shiner from a liquor store here about 2 weeks ago that was one of the best batches of Shiner I'd ever had. The beer was smooth and there wasn't any kind of bite at all, and it was warm and easy drinking. It tasted like draught, rather than bottle. And nobody here has it on draught.

You can do a Blue Moon into a margarita as well. It's also delicious.
    Logan's Roadhouse had a spring drink that was orange creamsicle, citrus vodka, and Blue Moon. If I'd had two of those I wouldn't be walking properly. jeezy.