Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Hi, I'd like you to meet my son. His name is Blayde.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thabucmaster, Jul 25, 2012.

1. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It isn't just the pretentiousness, but the fact that people seem to be trying to make their child unique from the get go to make up for their own averageness.

In any case, a family name that I had always liked was Fiona. However that was ruined by:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. silway

silway
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For what it's worth "Michael" means "one who is like God."

3. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Based on this discussion, haven't we come close to full-circle with child names? I would expect a year from now, when the wave of Braydens, Kaydens, Jaydens, Aidans, and Zaydens have passed that it will be time to go back to Ed, Bill, Bob, John and Jim. Isn't this the same things that is said about conformity: I'm unique or different, just like everyone else?

Personally, I am a Ryan. When I was a child the name was so popular it wasn't uncommon to be 1 of 3 Ryans in a classroom. For that reason, I can appreciate the need to be a little unique but some of these names are getting ridiculous. If this keeps up we'll be seeing Tylenol and Frito-lay become the name of the day just like in Idiocracy.

4. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just can't find anything wrong with Isla.

[​IMG]

5. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

I had to do a double-take I first saw the name Dcc posted because I thought she spelled it Ilsa, which immediately made me think of this:

[​IMG]

6. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

My issue with my list is this: it will be difficult for the baby when they grow up.

Everleigh - not a horrible name, but it has an odd spelling that she will have to continuously correct every time she introduces herself or fills out a form.

Isla - if you have to phonetically sound out the name on the Facebook announcement so people know how it's pronounced, you're doing it wrong. Her name will be stammered over every time it's read.

Pernilla - Seriously, WTF.

A name should be a foundation for the baby to become whoever they want; not an annoyance they constantly have to correct every time their name is said or spelled.

7. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Funny aside, I have a friend named Cale (pronounced kale) and people CONSTANTLY mispronounce his name as Kal or Kalee. It boggles my mind, it's one syllable and you just heard him say it, how are you fucking this up?

Also, I don't know how this happens, but on the phone a lot of people think I'm saying my name is Trent. I have no idea how you get Trent from Francis but a lot of people do it so it must be how I say it. And I don't know if this is a Connecticut thing or what, but I've been to a few appointments where the person was confused why I was a man and not a woman, even though Francis is the male spelling of the name. That never happened to me before I moved here.

8. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    I feel for people with the last name Kuntz. Most of us know how to pronounce it, but just looking at it, what's the pronunciation that comes to mind?

The Cleveland Indians had an announcer, Mudcat Grant, a former pitcher, who had this little on air adventure with the name:

9. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, it's Cumberbatch, but yeah.

Look, parents, just name your kids Jonathan Andrew Smith or Jennifer Anne Olson and let them create cool, pretentious or outrageous names on the internet when they sign up for messageboards. You know, something really out there - like Charles Johnson.

10. BakedBean

BakedBean
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'm going to name my son Perseus. And the way I am going to do this is by first suggesting to my wife that we name him "Hulk Smash". At that point, she'll gladly accept Perseus (and if she's cool with Hulk Smash, well, that just makes her all the more awesome).

I was recently asked by an Ethiopian ladyfriend of mine to help name her first son, and it didn't matter if the name was Ethiopian or Western. I looked up some Ethiopian names (and their meanings), and there are some humdingers in that culture:

Nyala: rare mountain goat

Sarsa Dengei: penetration by osmosis

Totit: female monkey

Yeshi Emebet: mistress of a thousand people

(I suggested Ras - the Amharic equivalent of "Duke").

When I was a rent-a-cop I had to fingerprint new-hires for the client, and I saw some names come through there I wish I could say I made up. The two I remember best were Dustin Pancake and Princess Fair.

11. subgeniuschick

subgeniuschick
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

That'll make him "Percy". Are you certain you want to do this?

Attached Files:

12. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So, you clearly have a white bread last name.

13. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Yup. It's structured and bland enough that it would go with virtually any given name. That does not mean, though, that I will call my first born D'Brickashaw or Ashhleigh, just because it doesn't clash with my surname.

14. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well I'm temporarily working in a new office and today was my first day. I answered three questions as to whether or not I was Italian, at least twice was asked how to pronounce it, and had to spell it a few times over the phone. Trust me, it isn't the rate limiting factor in my life.

To be fair my first name is quite conventional and biblical. I hate "unique" names with a passion. But the inconvenience factor isn't why.

15. Omegaham

Omegaham
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yep.

My last name is Bottini. I don't think it's very difficult to pronounce - bow (as in archery, not Japan) -tee-knee. I've gotten everything from Bootineenee to Bah-Tony to Bottney. Friends and coworkers just call me Booty.

As a result, I'm asked repeatedly if I'm Italian and am forced to spell it every time I say my name on the phone.

16. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have fair normal first a middle names

Raymond(Mom's brothers first name) James(Dad's brothers first name) [Last Name].

My last name is only 5 letters, is of German decent, i would call it unique(as far as i know, it is just dad's brother, dad's brother adopted son, dad, me, by brother with this last name in Canada) but not that hard to pronounce, i have only met one person that could pronounce it right without knowing the family first.

When me and the wife have a kid, my only restriction on naming him/her will be that it not start with and S, because pretty much her entire generation on her side of the family have names that start with S.

17. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Aside from the annoyance of having a name that no one will ever spell correctly, I tend to agree with the Freakenomics guys: spelling a name oddly can indicate a lack of education and sophistication on the part of the mother.

My cousin had a daughter and named her Isabelle. Pretty, common enough, simple. Right? Well, except for the fact that it's spelled "Izzabelle".

Personally, when I read that, I think, "That's kinda something white trash would do." As luck would have it, my cousin is the black sheep of the family and beautifully fits that description.

So, yeah. If it was my kid, I'd want to give them names that were at least easily pronounceable and didn't suggest that I personally was an idiot when I named them.

18. guernica

guernica
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My boss changed her name yesterday to Fae Raine-Boh. As in rainbow, but with the added stupidity of a hyphen and incorrect spelling. Your move TiB.

19. LongVin

LongVin
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

At my internship the mail lady is named Princess. The first day at work my boss is like "princess! Good morning how are you Princess?" Before turning to me and going "before you say anything I'm not being an asshole. That really is her name."

20. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh, I completely forgot about this. I knew a kid named "D'Elegance" shocker he turned out gayer than 9 guys fucking 8 guys, and one getting a reach around. Met another guy named Brilliance, he was straight, wanted to play football, but of course he was 5 feet tall with zero muscles.