Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

He's on fire!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Samr, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The video games of my life:

[​IMG]

That scene had me crying my eyes out in frustration for many years. The way that motherfucker would laugh at you just made it even worse. Never beat that game as a kid.

[​IMG]
    Best fucking NES game I played as a kid definitely.

Then it was onto Sega Genesis.

Evander Holyfield's Real Deal Boxing:
    [​IMG]
    This game made it impossible to beat Holyfield for a long time. What was great about this game was the ability to have two careers running simultaneously in the same universe. With two brothers we made this our lives. Two of us could run simultaneously and you had to use real heavyweights. Once you lost two fights in a row you had to retire. In this game you could only fight forty times max unless you were Holyfield. It took us like thirteen months to beat Holyfield and we had run through quite a load of names of fighters. Razor Ruddock, Michael Moorer, Riddick Bowe, Mike Tyson, Andrew Golota, then we were using guys like Axel Schulz, Peter McNeeley, Larry Donald, it was hilarious. My oldest brother finally broke through with Jimmy Thunder. Once you beat Holyfield he starts to lose a bit until he gets knocked off the game completely. Then, in a move that would mirror real life, all of a sudden like a year later Holyfield reappeared on the game and was working back up the rankings again. It is so funny how this really happened.

This is the best Mario wannabe game of all-time:
    [​IMG]

To close it off...

Super Mario RPG was the best RPG I ever played, until I played Final Fantasy IX. The story in IX was the best of any game I had played.

Was also huge into Counterstrike and had a very shitty clan made up of high school friends.

Halo on PC was pretty fun for awhile.

We had a Madden tournament in high school with 16 people and you controlled two teams. That was pretty sick and battles got intense.

Me and a friend of mine ran a Yale-Harvard NCAA dynasty in NCAA Football '06 that went four years deep. My friend [Harvard] would always outrecruit me but I would get really good transfer students. We were put into the Sun Belt and then got into the MAC I believe. I beat him three out of four years with two of them being with the conference title on the line. Went from a D- team to a B in four years.

2. Volo

Volo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I did, and still do. Haven't beaten it, even after 13 years. I just checked my old passwords sheet which resides in the game's box, and I hit Mayhem 22 before hitting a dead stop. My dad got close, finishing everything but the last two super hard levels.

FOCUS: [​IMG]

Super Smash Bros. was an excellent game, to be sure. But it cannot compare to Worms Armageddon in all its trash-talking, bazooka-firing, flame-throwing, grenade-tossing, ninja-roping, sheep-launching, banana-bombing glory.

You wanna talk about fights being started amongst friends? Fuck me, we used to take it real personal (read: you fucked my mother kind of personal) when one of our troops got killed off.

My team was called Pirate Power, and the leader was The Captain. Everyone I played against made it their personal mission to fuck up The Captain at all costs, and if they succeeded I usually lost the game because I got bad angry and started making serious mistakes.

Worms Armageddon is, hands down, the finest battle game every made, requiring skill, a foul mouth, and a healthy heaping of damnfool luck to play. Makes an excellent drinking game as well, especially if you use the awards at the end of a match to determine who drinks what.

3. Wadget

Wadget
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Zelda: Ocarina Of Time. The greatest.

I'm not sure how to feel about Majora's Mask. On one hand goron rolling was fun as shit, but on the other hand you battle a floating mask at the end... What the fuck?

4. TJMax

TJMax
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Where to fucking start? The beginning works. I got this on Aug. 5, 1983:

My obsessions since then have included Gunship, Star Fleets I and II, Wasteland, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, more I'm sure I'm forgetting, as well as a couple of arcade games. Double Dragon might just be the Citizen Cane of arcade games, but did anyone else play this?

I literally dropped my life savings into that game, as a ten year old in 1985.

#104 TJMax, Feb 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  5. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

NES:
    [​IMG]

Half sidescreen scroller, half shooter. All awesome.

SNES:
    [​IMG]
    Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals Basically a knockoff FFVII, but then, I didn't know about FFVII, for some reason.

Arcade:
    [​IMG]
    Rush 2049 After I joined the Navy, the pool hall on base in Chicago had four of these bad boys lined up in the arcade area. I must have poured $7-800 of quarters in there, easy. I had damn near all the records.

6. Celos

Celos
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Planescape: torment

[​IMG]

Greatest fucking game ever.

7. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For those of you who also loved Syndicate, I found a project where they are recoding the game for modern hardware and are making it available free to download. FreeSynd.

Also, I just remembered this one. Did anyone else play the True Lies game on the SNES?

[​IMG]

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The first game I ever became addicted to was Lode Runner on the Apple ][e.

It had shit graphics, was on a green-screen monochrome monitor, and yet the game play was captivating.

Attached Files:

9. WickedBitch

WickedBitch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

One game that I think needs to be remade is Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit II (GC). Sure there have been other NFS games since then but that one was simple and straightforward. You could play as the cops or the racers, the cars were basic (I hate all that upgrading and buying shit - just let me race!), the tracks were interesting with lots of nifty but risky shortcuts and there were no ridiculous story or cut scenes to bog it down. It was perfect!

10. flacco

flacco
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I think this was the first strategy game that I played, so many hours spent playing this game

[​IMG]

11. Roboto

Roboto
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I can't be the only Castlevania fan here. This was my favorite, but the Super Nintendo one was pretty good too.

Attached Files:

12. Facepalm

Facepalm
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Awwwwwww, shit. How could I forget all the time I wasted jumping around on this thing:

[​IMG]

Playing these games?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Eventually, when I got tired I'd just lay down and hit the Power Pad with my hands. Good times.

EDIT - if you've got a USA copy of an NES game called "Stadium Events" (it looks like "World Class Track Meet" because "SE" was rebranded to become "WCTM"), you better put that shit on Ebay. A copy just sold for $13,000+ on Ebay earlier this month.

#112 Facepalm, Feb 28, 2010
  13. manihack

manihack
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

A factory sealed copy just sold for $41k. Supposedly there are only ~20 total copies in existence.

14. LessTalk MoreStab

LessTalk MoreStab
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Moonstone - A Hard Days Night

Used to love this game on my Amiga 500, was glichy as fuck and gory as hell.

Played it again recently, still loved it.

#114 LessTalk MoreStab, Feb 28, 2010
  15. shabamon

shabamon
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

[​IMG]

It's great when a video game teaches you more about microeconomics and marketing than college microeconomics and marketing classes.

16. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For all of you who sent reps on Toe Jam & Earl, this will take you back...

#116 Kratos, Mar 2, 2010