Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

"Here at Titty Twister we're slashing pussy in half."

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aribidi, May 11, 2011.

1. Aribidi

Aribidi
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The owner of the bar where I work wants to hold a brainstorming-session about some new ideas and promotional activities to attract more people. Considering the fact that I'm one uncreative guy when it comes to these kinds of things, I'd figured I would ask you guys for help.

The bar is a rather small one. It can hold about 60/70 people before it's getting too crowded. Since it's located in a college-city, we're mostly aiming at bringing in the college-aged demographic. The sad alcoholics who stop by every day will come no matter what, so we won't try convince more of those guys to show up.

Focus: What kind of cool stuff have you seen bars do to attract more people? What kind of activities or happy-hour style discounts have made you come back to a certain place?

Alt-focus: What are bars and other drinking establissments doing wrong according to you?

(Or, you know, make up some ridiculous shit like donkey-shows and closed-cage tiger fights.)

2. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

I like creative threads; this should be interesting. Where I live, "bars" are not a phenomenon of note, so what you end up with are total dives and restaurant bars. There are a few places around here that are themed, though - one is a kind of French turn-of-the-century cocktail lounge, another is set up like the 1930s and expects you to dress appropriately. One has actual history, going back to the 50s or so, and one of the last remnants of a golden age gone by. They aren't changing a thing.

3. Solaris

Solaris
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

If he doesn't have one create the bar a Facebook Page and Twitter account. These are invaluable free tools for connecting with his customer base. Use this to advertise special deals on special nights or whatever.

When I was a student in Belfast the biggest student bar had an offer 6shotsfor£6. That was pretty much the only decent offer they had, but it was good enough to get the place rammed with students every night of the week. Most of them would only do the shot deal once as well.

4. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I fucking hate em, but Trivia Nights are a killer. The key is to have a halfway decent prize and give it some time to get rolling. A great way to pack a bar on a weeknight.

Game Tourney nights. You can rent/buy foosball, pong, cornhole setups and hold single elimination tourneys. These work great too because people are drinking the entire time they're hanging out and waiting for their turn. They drinking more as they're playing.

Depending on where the bar is located you might be able to get a permit for a temporary outdoor patio/drinking area. Theres a small bar we frequent that gets a permit to shutdown the sidewalk and one lane of traffic (in a two lane one way area). Soooo many fucking people come out if the weather is nice just to be able to drink outside.

I expect free drinks if I ever come to this college town.

5. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

2 words: Dollar. Drafts.

6. BeCoolBitch_BeCool

BeCoolBitch_BeCool
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The biggest selling factor for me is a unique drink selection. You can put shit on the walls, hire big-titted bartenders, and buy giant TV screens like everybody else, or you can give me a reason to not buy a 6-pack and drink at home for the price of one drink on tap.

Of my two favorite bars, one brews their own beer (and not just a house beer, but about a dozen different beers that are constantly changing throughout the year). The other bar has a wall of vodka being in infused with a variety of flavors. You've not had a Bloody Mary until you've had it with garlic/peppercorn infused vodka.

If these aren't possibilities, I'd just focus on the music you play. You can draw a crowd if you become known as the bar that plays good music or even has live music.

7. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I hate, hate, hate it, but if you want to pack a bar with college kids, play loud music and have a dance floor, they will come like flies to shit.

I second Guy Fawke's mention of any sort of outdoor space, especially if indoor capacity is an issue, easiest way to guarantee business in good weather.

I agree with this for a more sophisticated crowd, but college kids are going to get Bud/Miller/Coors lite and well liquor.

8. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Meat raffle!

9. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

...Go on

10. PIMPTRESS

PIMPTRESS
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Girl mud wrestling is a pretty good draw. (or jello, pudding, lube...)

When I was a bartender, we had mud wrestling. There were gift cards for the top three girls to Victorias Secret and the like, $50-$100. That got the girls to sign up. The boys just followed the girls. Lots of bikini tops got pulled off and it worked out wonderfully.

11. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Seriuosly, you've never heard of a meat raffle?

All of the bars around here have them. They strike some sort of deal with a local butcher and get a bunch of different cuts of meat; Roasts, steaks, chops, brats, etc. Then, a worn-out old barmaid with silver hair and a pack-a-day rasp asks you if you want to buy a ticket for a buck. When all the numbers are sold, they spin the wheel. The process repeats until all the meat is gone.

By the time the meat is gone, the bar has made a couple hundred extra bucks on the meat and everyone has either a buzz, a pile of thawing meat, or both. Everyone wins.

12. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Or to make it more interesting - 50 cent drafts until someone goes to piss. Then they go up to the regular price, or somewhere thereabouts. Just make sure you ban catheters or urinating beneath the bar.

Along the line of what PIMPTRESS suggested - have a wet t-shirt contest once a month or so.

13. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

This sounds like it would work better for everyone involved if instead of having to pick up the meat then and there you just got a voucher and could go to the butcher shop the next day to pick up the meat. You don't have to choose between leaving the bar early and having your meat sit out the rest of the night, the bar doesn't have people leaving early to take their meat home, and the butcher shop gets to try to sell you more shit when you come by to pick up your meat.

14. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Never heard of them, but I'm Googling the shit out of it right now to see if there's any nearby.

15. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Check out the VFW's in your area. That's the most common place for them around here.

16. Pinkcup

Pinkcup
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This usually only attracts hipsters and English majors, but...have a Spelling Bee. Four rounds centered around a general theme ("Words that start with B," "Things You'd Find In A Gay Club"), increasing in difficulty, with a prize at the end.

I fucking love spelling bees.

17. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Um, how about a strip spelling bee. Get a bunch of girls who try to spell fun words. If you get a word wrong, you take off a piece of clothing. The winner is every deaf person in the bar who doesn't have to listen to a gaggle of cackling bimbos try to spell and just gets to see the titties.

18. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I second the live music. It does not have to be amplified everynight, but just see if you can line up some new groups who are willing to play for tips. A string quartet playing background music can make for a nice relaxing evening even when a bar is packed. Other nights get in a dance band, or punker. The bar should always retain control on how loud the music should be played though. I hate when it is so loud you can never escape to have a conversation.

I have always liked the beer specials. The "Poop Deck" in Hermosa Beach will have one keg, 75 cent drafts till it empties or some such specials at different times. It just kinda gets the place going.

It also cannot hurt for the bar to sponser an intramural sport at the colleges. Then have specials at the bars after the weekly game.

It is pricey, but the MLB, College Football, NFL, NBA and Hockey packages are awfully nice for those students from out of state.

19. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Do you guys have a cover charge? If so, make it "Girls get in free" or "Girls get in free before X time". If you don't have a cover charge, make one and do the above. Even if it's a $2 cover charge, letting the girls in free will make them want to go.

Next, introduce "The Bucket".

There was a bar in San Diego we used to go to when I was in the Navy. They had a thing called "The Bucket", and it was basically a 3 gallon bucket that the bartender would fill with ice. Then he'd stick 4 bottles in it (rum, vodka, etc), and you watch them drain in. Add some pineapple juice and orange juice, and about 20 straws. The bartenders would grab the straws into a bunch and pour banana schnapps into them. It was like putting out a hummingbird feeder for girls to come by your table, so every group of guys would always buy a bucket.

The catch? It was $40 + tip, and you paid for it before they made it. Obviously, the better the tip, the better the bucket. We'd usually go in a group of 5 and chip in $20 each for it, so our buckets always had 4 full bottles of booze in them and would generally last all night. Girls liked it, because they could basically go from table to table and drink for free. Guys liked it because it made girls have to come up to them, and it helped break the ice. That bar was packed all the time, and it was because of the bucket. The place had black lights too, and the straws were all the kind that glow under the lights, so girls could always spot a bucket from across the room.

The same bar also had an awesome deal: $7 Long Island Iced Tea in a 32 oz cup. Figure you are going to do $7 + a $3 tip for enough of a drink to have you fucked up all night. None of us could have two of them without throwing up/passing out, and we were all big time weekend drunks then.

Bottom line is, you want people to come to the bar, you make it girl friendly. Girls attract guys, and nobody wants to go to a sausage fest. If you're paying $100 for a bucket, and it has maybe $30 of booze in it, that's a pretty damn decent deal. Your bartenders will be happy because they are cleaning up in tips, and happy bartenders make better drinks, which makes happy customers.

20. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Like I said, have a cover charge just so you can waive it.