Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Hell's Kitchen

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Dmix3, Jun 1, 2010.

1. MisterMiracle

MisterMiracle
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Depends. Doesn't seem like any of the past winners of HK has gone on to culinary greatness after winning the show and working at one of Ramsey's establishments. In fact, I don't think any of the prior winners are still working at a Ramsey establishment after their contract expired. That's very telling.

Also, I think the winner is put in a losing position at one of his restaurants. Most chef's have to earn their place in a kitchen like one of Ramsey's, and that can take a number of years. I doubt many chef's would consider a winner of a show like HK as somebody who has "earned their place" in a Ramsey kitchen. On top of that, none of those chefs who earned it are making remotely close to 250K a year.

So in the end, those contestants who have won are walking into a doomed scenerio, one where they are most likely in over their head and working with a bunch of people who have no respect for them. I'm certain that if one of the past winners had shown something worthwhile in the kitchen, they'd be able to keep working at that establishment.

Of course working in Ramsey's kitchen is great for the resume and the career, and I'm certain they'd get something out of the job. But still, it's just not the same as working your way up through the ranks.

2. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I haven't watched Hell's Kitchen after the third season, but wasn't Ralph Pagano from Season 1 (runner-up) a good, solid professional? While I can't think of anyone else from the first three seasons (not even Rock or Michael, and certainly not Heather) that can compare to a decent contestant on Top Chef, Ralph seemed more than capable of working in a Ramsey establishment.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The prize is a sham, because essentially they are winning 250K and a one year job at a Ramsey restaurant where they'll be put out to pasture doing a job like unloading inventory from trucks or something else where they can't hurt the line with their lack of skills.[/quote]

Really? I would think just being known as a guy "who won Hells Kitchen" might bring people in. Clearly you know the field and what your taking about but to average people like me I might go check out a place like that.

I honestly do not know anyone who could cook better than anyone on the show.

I would think the better restaurants around me (Philly) are allot of the Steven Starr joints, would they guys in there constantly be called Chef?

Also aren't the contestants on the show supposed to be in a kind of junior role?

You should consider doing an "Ask a Chef" thread, for recipes, food preparations and other shit. Christ if we have "ask an alcoholic" why not have something useful? I could use the help.

4. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is the first year I've watched this entertainment bloodbath. I have a few thoughts.

1. People that watch this show are not allowed to make fun of American Idol. Hey look, it's a common talent being given a spotlight. Not your style? Cool. Shut your mouth and keep your eyes on your own paper.

2. I've worked in restaurants. Granted, I was a server, but there is not nearly enough sexual tension in this show, not if they want to make it realistic.

3. You need more than one attractive chick if you want a truly successful reality season, excluding The Bachelorette, maybe. The only good looking girl right now is Holly, and they dont show her at all, except when she had some problem with her ginormous, fantastic boobs.

5. Dmix3

Dmix3
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The prize for Hell Kitchen has rarely been working for one of Ramsay's restaurants. The only time prior to this season was season 4, where Christina got to work as the Senior Sous Chef at London in West Hollywood. Last season's prize was working in Whistler, BC during the Olympics and Dave earned that shit, winning with barely one hand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell's_Kitchen_(U.S.)#Seasons

6. Api

Api
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

If you watch Boiling point (which is the show that made him famous where he is chasing his 3 Michelin Stars) you can see that he has calmed down if anything. He went to town on his staff in that show and was just brutal sometimes not letting stuff go.

7. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Did anyone else notice when they thought they were going to have to kill the baby pigs, everyone had a look like they hated the thought of doing it. Except Sibhion, she had a smile ear to fucking ear.

8. Volo

Volo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They'd learn a lot, no argument there but the experience they'd have would be less than friendly and inspiring. The winner would be walking into a kitchen full of guys and gals who've truly earned their places, and would be hard-pressed to earn any respect at all. Most chefs I know, myself included, have serious difficulty taking this show seriously, and the fact that the winner would be on contract, essentially meaning that no matter how badly they fuck it up they're guaranteed their salary makes this prize not worthwhile in the least. You'd be better off simply applying at the restaurant and working your way up to see if you have what it takes, instead of fooling around in front of the camera.

I'd do one alongside MisterMiracle if asked. I only have 12 years experience, which is a drop in the bucket thus far, but I have some insight to offer if it's wanted.

Nailed it.

9. BigChops

BigChops
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

My god do I ever want to slap Holly's titties around.

Is it just me or does this season have an excessive amount of douches in it compared to any other season?

Also, Ramsay screaming "you STUPID DONKEY!" in someone's face, and dropping the hammer onto some exploding fish never gets old.

10. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sweet mother of fuck. Chubby? Sure. Hot? Yes.

Fran is annoying as shit. She's your friend's mom that is constantly condescending about how you do things in your house, and in a bitchy way.

Jason and his droopy lipped bitchy attitude need to get the fuck out.

Autumn and Ed got served up because they were the most hungover, pure and simple. Neither is the worst cook on that side (Jason).

Nilka is making it to high levels. Top four, top three, maybe even win.

Ben made giant steps in his favor when he brought unity to red, then squandered it on a personal (even if it was right) vendetta.

Holli hasn't made any great mistakes yet, she's been solid. But she also hasn't done anything to stand out.

Jay seems like he's probably a great cook (though cutting your finger when opening mussels or whatever seems to show a lack of attention to detail), but I'm not sure I like his attitude.

Overall, at this point? I can't pick it, but I'd say Nilka, Ben, Holli, and Jay for the top four. Surprising, considering 3 of 4 are on the awful Red Team.

11. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am just so glad that I no longer have to look at Sibhian. Or listen to her for that matter, "He liked my sandwich". "We would have won if we used my sandwich". "Some really annoying thing about a sandwich she made"

I can't believe how long she went on about a sandwich. A fucking sandwich. Put me in a kitchen with a shitload of ingredients and I will make a good tasting sandwich. So happy she is gone.

12. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A sandwich that was, if I remember, two kinds of fruit and tuna. How was that good? I know Gordon liked it over the soggy bread sandwich (which I love), but how did that fucking work?

13. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I hate the manufactured drama on HK. EVERY season there is some kind of mix-up with a shipment. "Oh this wine order was meant for Ramsay's other restaurant so now you have to load it back onto the van." How does this make the show more entertaining?!

"Gordon Ramsay... you ARE the father!"

14. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought the girls looked worst in normal clothes, Holly and Autumn are kind of cute in their chef gear, not so much in normal clothes.

For the chefs on the board what did they keep referring to the guest chefs as? Two star michlan chefs? Something like that, what the hell is that?

15. Dmix3

Dmix3
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

16. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dmix3 beat me to the url.

It's the most highly regarded rating system in the restaurant industry. I think I even heard an urban myth that a chef killed himself b/c he lost a star.

17. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think they do this to make sure that the contestants are paying attention to detail.

18. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

19. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

From his wiki page:

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse