Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Hell's Kitchen

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Dmix3, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Dmix3

Dmix3
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

2. whathasbeenseen

whathasbeenseen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Please tell me this mongoloid will survive for at least half the season. I can't wait for this fuck to get yelled at. The fucking question was 'What is your signature dish?' Not 'Will you please wax poetic for all of our militant right wing fatalist audience?'

3. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This show is also one of my favorites. Love the first episodes when the chefs bring their signature dishes for Ramsey to try. Other shows would compliment something about the dish but Ramsey will tell you it tastes like dog shit.

4. OpelGTMan

OpelGTMan
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'm excited about the show tonight.

5. Backroom

Backroom
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What gives people the balls enough to challenge someone like chef Ramsey like they know better? I can't even fathom that.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Some people have no sense of self-awareness.

Look at ANY of the shows like American Idol, So You Think You Can Dance, etc.

There are always people that try out that gloriously suck ass, yet think they're the best dancers ever.

I blame it on shitty parents telling kids that they are special, and can do anything, and are the best ever, and that their shit doesn't stink. And sporting events that don't keep score. In some cases, the kids start believing that, and the parents are just as delusional.

Sometimes a healthy dose of "wow, you really suck at that" is very healthy.

7. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Or it's just good television. A bunch of competent chefs would make the show boring as hell.

The producers know what they're doing.

8. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Very true, but that is what I enjoy about the show. If I wanted to watch a bunch of douches talking about their cooking like they are curing cancer I would watch "Top Chef".
    Or "Chopped", but I like that show even though I want to stab most of the people in the face.

But there was a meltdown of the chefs tonight. Ramsey threw about 8 out of the kitchen with a glorious "Fuck off". Is he really that intimidating in person that people that have been working as cooks, sous chefs, etc.. for years can't cook a dish. Even after getting a book telling you how and step by step instruction.

9. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This guy actually said that if he won, he just wanted two walk in fridges so he could slaughter animals all the time. He said he likes to eat raw meat, and Ramsey asked him if he was going to be the HK Hannibal Lector. Idiot said, "Maybe".

Wonderful.

10. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I fucking hate every woman on this season except the black lady with the fro. My God, that Maria with the fucking giant horse mouth needs to shut up. The other one, Sibhion (or something like that) looks like she steals peoples cats and eats them in the dark. Something very odd about her.

11. MisterMiracle

MisterMiracle
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I dunno about that. The facts are, that there are only one or two chefs per season who could actually get a job at any of his establishments. There has been no contestant on any season who could run the kitchens at Ramsey's restaurants. None. While shitty cooks with big personalities makes for okay television, anybody who cooks knows that this show is a total sham on both the contestants and the viewing audience at large.

12. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

But if every chef was the caliber of the ones on Top Chef than what would the show be? Gordon just giving praise to everyone and everyone going "this is tastes great". That would be a pretty boring show.

I don't know, but don't the winners get a job in one of his restaurants? Obviously not head chef but they must do some cooking there. I know the first season winner turned down the restaurant when Gordon offered to enroll him at some famous cooking school (Don't know what they are called).

13. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah this is one of those shows you watch for the train wreck contestants. I love it. Kitchen Nightmares is also a great Gordon Ramsey show. Even Hells Kitchen's chefs don't hold a candle to some of the ego's he deals with on that show.

14. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Does anyone on the board have real kitchen experience like this? Do you really call the head chef "chef" at every turn? They treat him like a sgt. in the army, or is this hammed up a little for TV?

15. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've worked in restaurants growing up and I've never heard anyone addressing "chef" all the time, even to the executive chef.

I also never heard the chef call others "donkey" and highly doubt he acts this way in his own kitchen as he'd easily be heard out in the dining room.

Everytime something got heated in our kitchen, the floor manager ripped the employees a new asshole in his office because it was enclosed.

16. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That guy Jason, I was on his side when he got called out last week. I didn't think it was deserved, and I was even in agreement that Mikey was the one to get the boot. But now? Now I'd like Jason to get the fuck out. He whines too goddamned much, acts like he's being persecuted.

And holy shit, how much do these fuckers smoke? You see the size of the ashtray on that table? And the other ashtray, next to the table?

Best description of her I've heard. Siobhan is so fucking ugly it hurts my eyes.

17. carpenter

carpenter
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I've worked in a lot of kitchens and the chef can't go around yelling and calling people names too much. People are only willing to put up with so much shit. They either snap or walk out. I've worked in places you call the chef by his title. Not to the extent these morons do.
    I was lucky to start my early career working for a certified master chef and you called him chef whenever he spoke to you. He was an old timey Italian who'd yell and ask you why you were so goddamn dumb. His food was incredible, his knife skills were on par with Pepin's. He was a complete dick when he called the line. He would stack tables, call out four or five table orders at once, to "make you faster". I lasted about two years before I had a meltdown one Saturday night.
    This show pisses me off because I know people who would cook circles around the knuckleheads. There isn't any esprit de corp, no love and no one talking shit. When the cook next to you on the line burns/under cooks something next to
    you. You talk shit. It's the way of the kitchen. Eventually, you end up fucking something up and the circle is complete.
    Gordon Ramsay has a bunch of restaurants and who knows how many michellin stars, he's paid his dues. These assclowns would get laughed out of most kitchens. If you're profession is to work in the kitchen, why are they worrying about winning the challenges? The time you spend learning your craft is what's going to pay off. I always felt that the best times in the kitchen were when I was ass deep in prep. None of the
    people who end up on this show seem to have any kind of
    passion for what they do, they just want to win.

18. Dmix3

Dmix3
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Salvatore is killing me, worst Maitre D ever. I would walk right the fuck out if anyone ever told me "My teammate put extra love into the salmon" Since I wasn't eating there it was the funniest thing I've heard on TV this week.

19. MisterMiracle

MisterMiracle
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

It's not hammed up in that respect. Calling the head chef "Chef" is a term of respect. It's just a pecking order that any good chef knows to follow. If I'm working in another chef's kitchen, and I'm not too familiar with them, I will always refer to them as "Chef" when asked a question by them. If I were working for Ramsey in his kitchen, I would always refer to him as "Chef". Even then, if Ramsey worked in my kitchen for whatever, then I would still call him "Chef" because he's earned that title as a term of respect from me.

In turn, if I'm running a kitchen, I expect people working for me to refer to me as "Chef", especially when conveying an answer for a question that I'm asking. This is to pinpoint that the answer is to them (usually the exec or sous chef) and nobody else. Lots of questions are asked all the time by different members of the kitchen staff, and the staff needs a point person to lead them. There needs to be a concise answer that can't be misinterpreted by anybody else in the kitchen. Yelling out "Yes Chef" or "No Chef" means the answer could only be going to the lead chef of that evening. It is a lot like the military in this aspect.

Dude, I'm with you here. None of these contestants are on par with anybody who works in Ramsey's kitchen. None of them seems to excel at anything tangible that would be of use to any restaurant that has a Michelin Star. The prize is a sham, because essentially they are winning 250K and a one year job at a Ramsey restaurant where they'll be put out to pasture doing a job like unloading inventory from trucks or something else where they can't hurt the line with their lack of skills.

20. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

But isn't working in one of his kitchen's a great chance to learn something? You would think that even if they are given a low totem pole job, working around a bunch of world class chefs would be valuable to aspiring chefs.