Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Happy Drunks Only- Memorial Day WDT 5/27/11

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blue Dog, May 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Actually, I think places like Home Depot and Lowe's allow you to rent equipment. I'm not sure of the tools they have available but it might be worth looking into.

2. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We had a safety standdown for the weekend and my CO said something like this: I hate Memorial Day. And it pisses me off that Memorial Day and Veterans Day get mixed up all the time. I never want to take part in a Memorial Day for someone I know, but I damn will take part in a Veterans Day.

So here's to all those who have given the ultimate, you will not be forgotten, and Semper Fi.

3. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Amen to that Aetius. And bewildered, from what I hear those kinds of equipment rentals are a bit cost prohibitive for small time hobby work.

In response to some rep about a DIY thread, I know we have a home repair thread, but I was thinking more along the lines of a more general, hobbyist craftsmen/DIY thread.

4. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I gotta say, I really love sitting at the bar, by myself on a friday afternoon. Just relax with a cold beer and my thoughts to wind down after a week at work.

5. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This picture gets me every time.

[​IMG]

SGEDIT: Warning not exactly a happy pic in the happy thread so I hid it. Sad.

6. Racer-X

Racer-X
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Depending on where you live, there may be an artist / "maker" collective in your area. It basically a shop with a bunch of equipment where you buy a membership, take some training and you use the equipment.

Home Depot and Lowes do rent tools but if you need it for more than a couple of days it can get expensive for the big stuff.

[​IMG]

7. sartirious

sartirious
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

There are a couple places like that here in my neck of the woods for auto repair. They have multiple lift-bays outfitted with chest drawers full of hand tools, pneumatic tools, and online access to repair diagrams.

You might want to check out some of your local middle and high schools. I know that before the education budget was slashed in my hometown, the woodshop had designated days of the week where it was open after hours for anyone in the community to come in and use (after a safety lesson, of course). The tools weren't the best, but an ancient 36" planar is better than no planar at all. It cut true, and that was all that mattered to me.

8. Racer-X

Racer-X
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I feel like my last post wasn't appropriately patriotic.
    This is better:

[​IMG]

9. Gravitas

Gravitas
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I credit Alison Brie alone for the boob .gif resurgence of late.

[​IMG]

10. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am spending Memorial Weekend moving AGAIN, back to stupid Portland. The beauty of it all is I have managed to pare down my possessions enough that everything I own comfortably fits in a Nissan Altima (that includes the dog and his things too).

Unfortunately drinking and driving is frowned upon, and Washington State cops are assholes. I will probably have a belated Memorial Day by myself when I get there. Although I hear it is raining in Portland, so then again, maybe not.

11. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Was at the Rock Hall yesterday with some friends, which for the most part was pretty cool. The only thing I was disappointed in was the lack of a Hendrix Strat. Anyway, there were a couple highschool aged groups walking around. For context, the highlight exhibit was "Women Who Rock." Some choice quotes:

Group of girls looking at one of Aretha Franklin's dresses: "Oh my god, look at the size of those tits! Let's get out of here, I'm bored."

Some (highschool) bro: "We're leaving soon? Thank God I hate this fucking place."

And the kicker, in the Women Who Rock exhibit where they had a Gaga shirt: "Oh. My. God. That is Lady Gaga's shirt. She wore that shirt. That is SO COOL."

I just wanted to throw them down the stairs after yelling "DO YOU SEE EVERYTHING ELSE IN THIS PLACE DEAR LORD."

Kids suck.

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

So, this is the last WDT before our seed grows into a beautiful tree then?

13. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ok, am I just retarded? All I see is the "fuck Bob Vila, home repair" thread, and that is specific to home repair and renovation (from what I see). Is there another thread that I am just completely missing?

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I know not of any craftsman thread. Just the Bob Vila thingy.

Putting daughter to sleep, then going to Mars.

[​IMG]

15. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I see that our good friend, Ryan Milliron, has a birthday today. Let us rejoice and join ol' Milly in celebrating himself, because I'm sure he needs all the help in doing so that he can get.

16. PewPewPow

PewPewPow
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Amen, as much as I like to think of the Northwest as home, I'm very tempted to pack my shit and move south, the weather here is killing me.

17. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Careful what you wish for. It's already over 90 degrees here, PLUS 70+% humidity, every single day of the week.

18. KillaKam

KillaKam
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thankful is the slogan for this weekend. Finally landed a decent job, and am getting back into the daily grind. I'm exhausted as hell but it feels good in a way. Going to see the Hangover 2 in a little while...hoping for good things.

Cheers to my fellow service members on this board, enjoy your holiday.

19. PewPewPow

PewPewPow
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Alright serious question time: What's a good birthday gift to buy for an ex-girlfriend that you're trying to be friends with?
    She likes reading and shit and works as a copy editor. I bought her a volume of Shakespeare, but now that just seems lame since I got her books for christmas last year.
    Dazzle me TIB

20. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

She likes to read, but you think books are a lame gift.

The correct answer is obviously taxidermy.

Side note: Why wasn't I notified about the Arnold Palmer earlier? Tea, lemonade, vodka. Lots of vodka. I'm renaming it the Phil Mickelson.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.