Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Happy Drunks Only- Memorial Day WDT 5/27/11

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blue Dog, May 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Dog

Blue Dog
    Expand Collapse
    Absentee Mod

With all of the excitement of a three-day weekend full of BBQs and cold beer and summertime fun, its easy for most people to forget that the reason we have all of these good things, Hell, the fact that we are all here and safe and healthy, is because of the actions and sacrifices of our brave men and women of our respective country's armed forces. There are thousands upon thousands of extraordinary people who have given everything they have to protect those whom they love and the way of life that they believe in, and for that, every single person who shares in the good things available to them should be eternally grateful, and thankful for the fact that they are even here to enjoy this great thing called life.

I am thankful to be alive today, and I was reminded of that fact this morning at my workout. As I was getting after it, the owner of the local Spoga where I workout came up to me to talk. He's a pretty cool guy, and I respect him even more for his fitness accomplishments because he only has one leg (I don't know if he was born like that or what, but I respect him none-the-less), so it was unbelievably cool to have this conversation with him:

Owner: Hey BD, great to see you this fine morning!
    BD: Hey Owner, you too! Whats the good word?
    Owner: I just wanted to come over and tell you that you have a big fan in [high school football coach who also works out there]. He gave me the scoop on your accident this past fall, and I had no idea how serious it was. I wanted to let you know that I respect the hell out of you for what you've accomplished in your recovery, and am glad you are still here today. I don't respect the people who go through hardships and then wallow in self pity, doing nothing but feeling sorry for themselves. Its the ones who work at it and do everything in their power to help themselves that are the real winners, and I wanted to let you know that. God Bless.
    BD:.... Wow. Thanks, that means the world to hear that from both of you.

And I meant it- it really does mean the world to me (especially coming from this man who I can't even begin to imagine the trails her has been through), and I am thankful every single day that I am here. Now, I'm am in no-way-shape-or-form comparing my accident to the sacrifices of our veterans- I'm not shit compared to them. Our petty everyday problems are NOTHING compared to the fallen soldier, or their families who have to live with the loss every single day. And if they can put themselves on the line in defense of mine and my family's life, I think I can work through a little backpain. And for that, I am thankful.

So lets have fun with this Drunk Thread- but lets try to keep all negativity out of it. We appreciate that you may be having a bad day, but go to the R&R thread if you need a place to vent. This is a thread to have a beer and a laugh, but at the same time, be thankful for the good things you have, and raise your glass to those who have fought and died, and to those who still fight today.

To our members here in the Military- Here's to you.

2. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've been in the south for about 6 years now but I'm attending my first "crawfish boil" tomorrow. Kinda excited about it, I'm not gonna lie. If there's one thing you southerners do well, it's feed meat to hoards of people.

3. fleafly

fleafly
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I should be haivng my first beer in two months tonight! Along with that it's Hangover 2, then X-Fest tomorrow at Midway Stadium. I think maybe Monday I'll take the shotgun out and shoot some clays.

4. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll raise a cup of coffee in the honor of those that have served. Nothing harder until later today. I have events galore planned for this weekend. Two are graduation parties, what is an acceptable graduation gift for the daughter of a co-worker? Any ideas? I don't really just want to do that envelope full of money thing.

5. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll take the opposite stance. To our members in the military, I hope we won't be honoring you on Memorial Day for a very, very long time.

Bart: I just think our veterans deserve a little recognition.
    Lisa: That's what Veterans Day is for, Bart.
    Bart: But is that really enough to honor our brave soldiers?
    Lisa: They also have Memorial Day!
    Bart: Oh, Lisa, maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong, the important thing is that veterans deserve a day to honor them!
    Lisa: They have two!
    Bart: Well, maybe they should have three.

6. Trickysista

Trickysista
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

No lie, BD's post made me tear up a little bit thinking of how many people sacrifice their lives for our country. Here's to all the veterans and people of this board who are serving in our armed forces. Thank you!

Hopefully work will let out early today so I can get a head start on my traveling. I have to go back home for a wedding on Sunday. Should be a good time. I'm also very excited to have off on Monday, as I would like to lay out and work on my tan.

Maybe like a necklace or a bracelet? Or a gift basket of something? If she's graduating from high school, you could make her a gift basket of little things she might need in her college dorm, if she's going to school.

7. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

Byron Nelson today!

It's really only 9, but my watch says it's Beer Thirty.

8. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In the spirit of good things (but not things done while drunk), I took my bike out for the first time this week. You couldn't pry my grin off with a crowbar while I'm on that thing. And despite the fact it's older than I am, the thing runs pretty damn well. I'll need to bleed the brakes but I think that's about it. And I went in this week and got my license upgraded so now I can ride at night / on highways / etc.

Also, I went and got oysters and a delicious burger and delicious beer last night. Holy crap. Wild boar makes a fine-ass burger.

9. hooker

hooker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm going to trim a tree (not a metaphor!) tomorrow. Which means a) someone is trusting me with a chainsaw, and b) I get to stand on a roof.

Let's take bets on which bone I break first?

10. AlmostGaunt

AlmostGaunt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Due to the time difference, I'm usually afk for these threads... however, for one night only, I'm here. Just got kicked out of a bar for the 2nd time in my life. My bad. But their loss is your *ahem* gain. So while I'm unwisely playing Rush poker, I am also checking in. And much respect to all members of the service branches, past and present. I'll drink one for you.

11. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Here in America, we support the troops.

Even if we don't believe in the war they are fighting, if we think it is unjust or illegal, we still honor the service and sacrifices made by our soldiers.

Right?

Gotcha!

[​IMG]

12. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

Girl can blow.

#12 Nom Chompsky, May 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  13. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm a dummy for not opening the pool last weekend. Dumb dumb dumb since it's 90 degrees here today. Now I guess I'll have to cool off down by the river behind my house, drop a line in the water and enjoy a few cold ones. 10:45AM is close enough to noon for my purposes.

Happy Memorial Day everybody. Be safe and have a great weekend.

14. AlmostGaunt

AlmostGaunt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you like Adele, check Kyla Brox out. Saw her live on Tuesday and she absolutely blew me away.

And for the traditionalists in the house, my girl Janis.

#14 AlmostGaunt, May 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  15. shabamon

shabamon
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

If she's going to a college located in a different city, an urban guidebook is a pretty solid gift. My brother is a sophomore at Ohio State and I got him a book that told him of all the good restaurants, nightlife, running trails, etc. in Columbus. Any Barnes & Noble or Borders will sell them. EDIT: Assuming this is a high school graduation...you didn't specify.

I cannot wait for 4 o'clock to hit today. This week has felt like three weeks in anticipation of the weekend. Tomorrow I'm going to Put-in-Bay and Sunday I will be at Cedar Point. For those of you not in Ohio, that basically means getting drunk and riding roller coasters.

16. PIMPTRESS

PIMPTRESS
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Chainsaws are fun, used to use one daily for the couple of years I worked in a lumberyard. Standing on roofs with a chainsaw should only be done sober, in my opinion. I've met someone who lost an arm that way...

In other news, I got over my guilt from the R & R thread. Fuck yeah, I'm free!

17. AlmostGaunt

AlmostGaunt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Random delayed response to Pimptress's diss of Eminem and Dre's I Need A Doctor: this track is glorious. Call me sentimental, but seeing two rappers talk about gratitude and respect instead of bitches and hoes and the tribulations of fame does it for me.

18. PIMPTRESS

PIMPTRESS
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I tried to appreciate it for that very reason, but it is over the top. I still can't listen to it without wondering which one is the top.

19. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm sure BlueDog has some opinions on this issue.

Mrs. Noland's high school roommate and her husband are coming in town for the long weekend. Last time I spent time with them the guy and I split, I shit you not, a mason jar full of peach moonshine. Here's hoping he doesn't bring any of that shit with him.

Unfortunately the guy is also a Bud Light drinker so I have a refrigerator full of that crap. Forgive them Lord, they know not what they do, they are from Georgia.

20. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Poor sonuvabitch:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.