Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Happy 30th Birthday Bart Simpson

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deepinit, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Deepinit

Deepinit
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

2. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Congrats to the Simpsons' crew and never knowing when to quit.

It's been a few years since I've watched the prime time episodes. I prefer to revel in the glory seasons of 3-5.

3. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

#4 Misanthropic, Dec 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  4. Deepinit

Deepinit
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

In the spirit of the upcoming football playoffs, may I present one of my favourite quote from the original 1992 Super Bowl episode "Lisa the Greek".

Sadly I couldn't find the video but here's the script excerpt...

Washington kicks off, and Buffalo gets excellent field position.

Homer: Buffalo is going to win. Lisa hates me. [sobs]
    Man: Whatcha got riding on this game?
    Homer: My daughter.
    Man: [whistles] What a gambler!

5. MTW

MTW
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I can't be the only one who went "what, they're still on the air?" I loved the Simpsons back in the day, but it just doesn't do it for me anymore. I keep trying to like it, but they average a good episode about dozen or so. Even the Treehouse of Horror episodes are starting to stink, and they were the best.

I'm sad to say I turned to South Park for my animated comedy years ago. Worse artwork, but more topical and political issues, and they don't hold anything back.

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Favourite Episode:
    The B Sharps (barbershop quartet) episode. This one was wall-to-wall belly laughs, especially in the form of the always hilarious Chief Wiggum:
    LOU: "Pretty, huh chief?"
    WIGGUM: "It sure is Lou, it sure is........get the tear gas. (patting his nightstick)
    No Simpson episode even comes close to this one in my book.
    Runner Up: The episode when Lisa gets a crush on Nelson.

Favourite Line:
    Homer to a migraine-stricken Marge:
    "Here. I couldn't find you any Aspirin so I got you some cigarettes."
    ....it doesn't get better than that.
    Runner Up: "I wish God was alive to see this.

The Movie
    It took ninteen years to come out with this movie. Was it worth the wait? The turth is, I absolutely loved it from beginning to end. It really lived up to its hype. It was enormous, bombastic and was funnier than any memorable episode I can think of. It would have made a great "final episode" to close out the series.

Homer is the backbone of this show. He may very well be the greatest comedic character ever devised, the ultimate idiot with no impulse control and always good intentions. He makes our lives better for existing.

Most of all, this show is the ultimate in institution. A never-ending Phantasmagoria of multi-layered characters, each with their own surprises and flaws. I owe so much of my life to this show and thank it dearly for providing so much entertainment since I was in Grade 7. How it will end I'm not sure, but I will be watching that day.

7. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I liked a lot of moments out of season 8.

Homer coming one step closer to being the owner of the Dallas Cowboys.
    "Aww.. the Denver Broncos..."

Most of the episode where Homer thinks Barts gay, and the steel workers reaching for the rainbow.

Ned snapping

Homer as Poochie

8. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Being a young whippersnapper compared to you old fogeys, I never quite got what the whole thing about the "old" episodes was. The new episodes suited me just fine. Then again, we always were at church when the new episodes came out on the air, meaning I rarely got to see them, thus inflating their cool factor. Would a 12 year old prefer to watch the Simpsons or go to church? No contest. Hell, the odd time I manage to catch a new episode now I still enjoy them.

Then, I remember I was watching one of those really old episodes, where Bart goes to France. Sure, the animation and timing and voices sucked. But I'll never forget this:

Bart [alone in his room]: Ah, the life of a frog - that's the life for me.
    Marge [enters room]: Bart, how would you like to go to France for a year?

Out fucking standing.

9. Allord

Allord
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The Nightmares of children with a 30" Dildo
    Oh god, there's so many that crack me up...

Moe on a lie detector

Homer buying fireworks

Dr Nick

Homer in Space

EDIT: Also, fuck the commercialization of YouTube post-Google buyout. Shittons of videos get pulled off and the only good ones now are the ones you can find on Hulu already. I can't even find a good version of the Simpsons Flintstones intro, or the second half of Homer buying fireworks where he lights it in his kitchen, panics, and throws it in his dishwasher running for his life.

#10 Allord, Dec 15, 2009
  10. Marjorine

Marjorine
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

two words: RALPH WIGGUM.

This lad has been responsible for so many hilarious moments, it's hard to compile them all. We're all familiar with the classic I Love Lisa (Season 4, episode 15) which gave us such quotes as: "You choo-choo-choose me?", "So... do you like... stuff?" and "Miss Hoover, I glued my head to my shoulder." And in Lisa's Rival (Season 6, episode 2) we have "My cat's name is mittens" and the timeless "My cat's breath smells like cat food". You can read/hear all of his quotes here: http://www.dashdingo.com/ralph/content.php?section=information&page=quotes. You're welcome.

I remember in the first few years when the show was gaining popularity, so many parents complained about how violent it was and how it sent a bad message = swearing at your parents and getting into mischief is cool. While I agree that it really did open the doors for mainstream prime-time "adult" cartoons, I don't think that's a bad thing at all. And honestly, when I was growing up, Lisa was probably the best role model I had on television. She's intelligent, does well in school, has strong morals/values and she is on a constant quest to better herself.

I've been randomly watching episodes from the last 6 or 7 seasons (I stopped watching regularly around the 14th) on wtso.net and yeah, it's not as good as it was back during the 3 - 7th seasons, but it's still a decent show. The animation had gotten so much better and occasionally they hit a homer (pun intended). Gone Maggie Gone (season 20, episode 13) was hilarious and epic.

My favorite episode will always be, hands down, Lisa's Wedding, (Season 6, Episode 19). If you haven't seen it, go watch it now. It was the first time they did the whole "looking into the future" bit, which has gotten a little tired since, but it has laughs a minute, romance, sight-gags galore and some of the most touching moments in the series.

11. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I watch very little TV.

When I do watch TV, it's The Simpsons or football.

It has had its ups and downs, but it's been an epic journey and an awesome show.

The show has produced a lot fewer laughs in recent years but this one had me rolling:

#12 Binary, Dec 15, 2009
  12. MuffinTops

MuffinTops
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Seasons 3 thru 8 are absolutely epic.

Favorite Episode
    Tie between Homer At Bat and King-Size Homer

Favorite Scene
    From Bart Gets an Elephant.
    (Homer frusterated with all his elephant bills answers the door)
    Kid one: Can we see the elephant.
    Kid two: We'll give you money.
    Homer: For the ninth time, NO! (shuts the door and starts to walk away) Wait a minute, this gives me an idea.
    (Homer puts up a sign in his front yard that reads 'GO AWAY')

Favorite Lines
    Bart: These uniforms suck!
    Marge: Bart! Where do you pick up words like that?
    Homer: Yea Moe that team sure did suck last night. They just plain sucked, I've seen teams suck before but they were the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.
    Marge: Homer! Watch your mouth!
    Homer: I gotta go my damn weiner kids are listening.

Favorite Song
    The Canyonero Song

13. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Best Episode Ever:
    The two-part "Who Shot Mr. Burns?" season finale/season opener.
    Memorable parts:
    (As Santa's Little Helper limps past with both hind legs in casts, an Elizabethian collar and his butt on a wheeled platform)
    Grandpa Simpson: The lamp's walking away.

(When Lisa Simpson has solved the mystery, and is outlining it for everybody)
    Lisa: So, with your last breath, you pointed to the South and West points of the compass, which from your perspective were the initials MS, for Maggie Simpson.
    Mr Burns: Nonsense! With my last breath I sucked out my gold fillings and swallowed them. Those paramedics have sticky fingers.

Second Best Episode Ever:
    Don't know the name, but the one where Homer is supposed to donate a kidney to Grandpa Simpson.
    Memorable Parts:
    Dr. Hubbard holding up an X-ray that looked like two little bombs had gone off.
    Dr. Hubbard: Good Lord! This man's kidneys have exploded!
    Grandpa Simpson: I'm kind of hungry.
    Dr. Hubbard: (His little chuckle) Oh, I'm afraid your eating days are over.

14. NickAragua

NickAragua
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

My two favorite quotes:

Homer: "Hello, my name is Mr. Burns. I believe you have a package for me?"
    Post Office Guy: "Ok, Mr. Burns, what's your first name?"
    Homer: "I .... don't ... know."

Homer: "DOH! 20 dollars? I wanted a peanut!"
    Homer's Brain: "With 20 dollars, you can buy many peanuts."
    Homer: "Explain how."
    Homer's Brain: "Money can be exchanged for goods and services!"

15. Creelmania

Creelmania
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

2 stand out moments for me.

From "The Old Man and the Key"

Boy: Hey ma, how 'bout some cookies?
    Mom: No dice.
    Son: Dis ain't ova'.

And from "Behind the Laughter"

Homer: I want to set the record straight. I thought the cop was a prostitute.
    (Nods and smiles)

Also, I like how when he was interviewing Matt Groening a few years back, Jon Stewart pointed out a fairly noticeable discrepancy. Homer and Marge had Bart right after high school, and Homer is now been between ages 36 and 40, depending on which episode you use as a reference. Now, wouldn't this mean Bart's been almost 18 the entire series? Or was Homer 30 years old when he graduated high school?
    I know that, as they have said multiple times before, "It's a cartoon, it doesn't have to make sense", but this anomaly has stuck out to me since hearing it.

16. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

Bart: Look at all this great stuff, Lis! [finds vanity license plate rack] Cool...personalized plates! "Barclay"..."Barry"..."Bert"..."Bort"? Aw, come on. "Bort"?
    Child: Mommy, mommy! Buy me a license plate.
    Mother: No. Come along, Bort.
    Man: Are you talking to me?
    Mother: No, my son is also named Bort.
    Later in the episode...
    [Workers inside Itchy and Scratchy underground HQ]: We need more "Bort" license plates in the gift shop. I repeat, we are sold out of "Bort" license plates.

17. stone2k

stone2k
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

My favorite episode is "A Streetcar Named Marge"... I liked the main story, and the"Great Escape" part with Maggie and her pacifier was outstanding.

18. zackgb

zackgb
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

19. EarthExile

EarthExile
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Mobster: Johnny Tight-Lips! Where'd they hit ya?
    Johnny Tight-Lips: I ain't sayin' nothin.
    Mobster: But what'll I tell the doctor?
    Johnny Tight-Lips: Tell him to suck a lemon.

[Bart and Grandpa come across the Wright Brothers' airplane.]
    Bart: Look at that hunk of junk!
    Grandpa: (sputters) You're ignorant! That's the Wright Brothers' plane! In Kitty Hawk in 1903, Charles Lindbergh flew it 15 miles on a thimble full of corn oil. Single-handedly won us the Civil War, it did!
    Bart: How do you know so much about history, Grandpa?
    Grandpa: I pieced it together, mostly from sugar packets.