Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Hangover Remedies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Backroom, Jan 22, 2010.

1. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't really get hungover very often anymore, but I swear by the one glass of water for every alcoholic drink rule. Plus 4 Ibuprofen before bed. Or maybe my body has just given up on trying to teach me a lesson.

2. Jubes2681

Jubes2681
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

In terms of prevention, I always drink one of those short fat bottles of Gatorade before going to bed (I've been on a G2 kick and they work just as well) and then I have another one on standby the next day. I usually end up waking up to piss about 2-3 hours after going to bed, so I chug half of the 2nd Gatorade then and finish it after another 3-4 hours of sleep.

However, if those don't "take" (meaning I forgot to drink the 1st bottle before bed because I was an incoherent drunken mess) and I'm still a groaning mess the next day, I find that fountain soda Sprite makes me feel better almost immediately. I'm not sure why it makes such a difference to have it in fountain soda form rather than from a can or bottle, but hot damn it works. I tend to combine this with a hearty breakfast of 2 over easy eggs, toast with too much butter, sausage and home fries. It works like a charm.

If it's a truly noteworthy hangover that makes you declare "I'll never drink again!", then I usually get some fast food (a greasy burger with fries from MacDonald's or Wendy's) to go with my fountain Sprite instead of the normal breakfast food.

3. Forest Ranger

Forest Ranger
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

My dad had these bottles he brought back from germany, and they were 40% alcohol but jesus christ did they ever get rid of a bad hangy. I forget what they are called my eyes are usually too blurry to read the label. But if you cant import from germany, I find weed to be the best cure followed by a greasy pita wrap

4. Cult

Cult
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've never had a remedy that actually worked, the best thing is for me is prevention. Drink a lot of water before you go drinking, I've never gotten a hangover whilst properly hydrated. Then again, I don't get many hangovers, perhaps it's my young, tender age.

5. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, there are two schools of thought on this. One school says a dram of your favorite liquor with plenty of water and a hearty breakfast. Supposedly this will knock out both the withdrawal and the dehydration, while filling your stomach with some easily-digested food.

The other school says fuck that pussy shit.

Choose wisely.

6. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Two things: rehydration salts (for diarrhea). Same principle as Gatorade, Pedialyte, etc, except it's a full liter of water. And 2 Midol. Cured the worst aguardiente hangovers I have ever heard of.

7. slippingaway

slippingaway
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I eat a big, greasy breakfast BEFORE I pass out. If nothing else, I make sure to eat some scrambled eggs with cheese and maybe a tortilla before passing out.

Gatorade and Pedialyte are good suggestions as well, I used to drink a lot of Vitamin Water as well, which worked better than Gatorade, but not as good as Pedialyte (but was cheaper).

You need a prescription, but some of the ADD medicines out there can help too. Vyvanse is like a wonder drug for me. It helps a lot when I drink on weeknights and have to work that morning.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Bang on.

We use it when we're racing, as dehydration is the biggest problem. Pre-race, during the race, after the race... it's a fuckload better than Gatorade, as it doesn't have all that sugar and shit in it, and you don't get the same kind of energy boost / jitters from it.

9. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

10. PIK_Toggle

PIK_Toggle
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Take three Aleve and drink 32 ounces of water before you go to sleep.

You will feel like a champ in the morning.

11. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I drink pickle juice. Supposedly it rehydrates you 20x better than gatorade. Some pro sports teams use the shit instead of gatorade.

12. TheCapn

TheCapn
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

For me it depends on if it was a random night of drinking or a multiple day bender. If it was a random night of drinking then lots of water, a good breakfast, and a few Aleve are all I need. If it's a multiple day bender then it's best to taper off the alcohol, have a beer or two or a shot to kill the anxiety from the withdrawal.

13. brosephus

brosephus
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

The thing I've found that works the best for recovering quickly is 3 excedrine migraines, the caffeine in there really helps, followed with 2 glasses of dr. Pepper. The sugar and sodium in it work wonders.

Alternatively, chicken broth and tuna. It sounds disgusting but it works. It helped me go on an 8 am pub crawl after a long night of heavy drinking the night before.

I don't know who mentioned pedialite, but that stuff is a miracle. We would drink a bottle before every game and after before we went boozing.